Binding or no binding?

southpawtendy48

Hey all, I haven’t been seeming to get some solid and updated answers about binding or no binding on blockers. I just thought I would ask a few questions before I make another custom order. 

So really, my questions are:

1. Do bindingless blockers weigh less than their counterparts? And if they do, is it a significant difference I would take notice of when playing?

2. Are bindingless blockers more durable than ones with binding?

3. Is the blocking surface on a bindingless blocker more prevelant than one with binding?

with that out of the way, I’ve narrowed down my choices to a PVE blocker and a Ventus LT98 blocker, I’m more partial to those so I can have somewhat matching gear (I have PVE pads and an lt98 glove currently)

And yes, I’ve tried asking if I could get a Pro V elite without binding but they can’t apparently as they already have the pieces for it set out.

so basically, I’m stuck between to two one reason being that I can have matching gear, and also there are concerns for both, those being:

Im really leaning towards an LT98 for the look and the possibility of it performing and lasting better than the PVE. But I have a concern with it being more of a butterfly style blocker, that there’s less freedom for me to pokecheck and play the puck as there’s added finger protection. With the PVE, I feel like it’s more anatomical on the finger protection but also allows me to pokecheck easier.

if you have any advice for me as to what blocker to choose, I would greatly appreciate it. I am partial to Vaughn but I’m open.

Thanks, Izzy

1. The weight difference in negligible
2. They will be more durable, but it's not as large of a benefit as you'd think
3. I'm sure the 1/16" that you lose on the perimeter will have almost zero effect to your goaltending ability.

Both blockers are very similar with hand placement and finger protection, honestly, the choice should really come down to which graphic you like the best, if you want or don't want binding and if you want a less pronounced blocker curve or the sharp extrusion of the top end of the Ventus blocker.

2 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I second @coopaloop1234 ‘s statement. It’s just about your preference for aesthetics. Maybe a little bit about how the blocker will feel with a puck of the corner edge, but this won’t impact your ability at all 

My blocker side is pretty good but the pucks seem to skip over the top part of the blocking surface and I feel the LT98 could prevent that a little with the top part of the blocker. I’ll take any advantage I can get. I’ve ever only had blockers with flat surfaces so this’ll be new for me. One more question I have is should I try getting a cheapo blocker that performs similarly in that way (cause I can’t find the LT98 in full right) to try it before I get a full fledged custom blocker or just go ahead and get it?

6 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

@coopaloop1234 @TheGoalNet just wanted to thank you guys for your help. Reason I needed help right then is I couldn’t get reliable answers from anybody about this topic and I now just found out how my current intermediate blocker is about one inch less in perimeter than the senior ones lol. So I’m kinda desperate for a new one.

No worries. That's what this site is here for.

On 5/29/2018 at 5:21 AM, southpawtendy48 said:

My blocker side is pretty good but the pucks seem to skip over the top part of the blocking surface and I feel the LT98 could prevent that a little with the top part of the blocker. I’ll take any advantage I can get.

...don't forget the mud flaps...

259a6f0c86eadd2fa95abfda59f4159ac6379dc1

• 2 months later...

old thread but i just used the vaughn tag and saw this on their

Jhonas Enroth made a good point in a video discussing his specs of his pads in a very old video from pure hockey 

Enroth said the binding on a blocker will help stop any shot that you face coming off the sides of it, while the no binding will give you a bigger blocking surface

55 minutes ago, Max27 said:

old thread but i just used the vaughn tag and saw this on their

Jhonas Enroth made a good point in a video discussing his specs of his pads in a very old video from pure hockey 

Enroth said the binding on a blocker will help stop any shot that you face coming off the sides of it, while the no binding will give you a bigger blocking surface

One of my favorite goalies for sure. He has a very good point. As for the blocker I went with the ventus LT98 mostly for its angle and it’s performing amazing so far

7 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

One of my favorite goalies for sure. He has a very good point. As for the blocker I went with the ventus LT98 mostly for its angle and it’s performing amazing so far

nice, i switched from a v5 w binding to a v7 greiss pro stock (from the isles proshop) with no binding and i think the bindingless is better for the way i play and its been my favorite blocker ive ever used

4 hours ago, Max27 said:

nice, i switched from a v5 w binding to a v7 greiss pro stock (from the isles proshop) with no binding and i think the bindingless is better for the way i play and its been my favorite blocker ive ever used

Yeah, besides me taking a heavy stinger to the outside of my left hand it’s doing great.

and oh yeah, I remember your thread. Do you know if it’s an XF or XR? 

Archived