TheGoalNet

Thought I would throw this up in this thread. Unfortunately, the "loop" side of the velcro on my CCM Premier pads (only the knee straps) were starting to stretch and become pretty much useless. It was getting harder and harder to strap up my pads and they would come undone very easily. Such a pain. So I decided to take them to Toronto Hockey Repair and get new velcro loop sewed into the pads. I also decided to add 1 calf strap on each pad. The elastic calf wrap works fantastic, and truth be told I don't really "need" another calf strap on these pads, as I custom ordered it without it, but after the velcro on the knee wearing out so quickly, I was reminded why I like leather straps so much and for a beer leaguer, long-term durability is important to me. So juuuuust in case the calf elastic ever gets messed up, I have a calf strap there now to do the work. Plus I like the look of leather straps down the pad.  

I was pretty surprised because I had just custom ordered these pads and received it in November of 2017. Not sure if anyone else has has any CCM Velcro issues just 7 months after I started to use them. 

BEFORE:

1037672829_VelcroKneeStrapneedstobefixed.thumb.JPG.97f92d6038b3edfeb585cd423062fc54.JPG

AFTER:

877279342_KneeStrapVelcrorepairand2newcalfstraps.thumb.JPG.9c8198ad85c5770b0d6e52001134d192.JPG

Glad I was able to fix these! 

Edited by creasecollector

On 6/19/2018 at 5:49 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I spy a Single T and no outer break...

Might be very similar to mine ?

I like my pads stiff. No break on the outter role ensures that. And the so-called advantages of having more than a single T are theoretical in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

So while I visited my local shop today, it so happens that a CCM Rep was there with the new lines coming out, I'm guessing for next spring, and I manage to get a bit of a sneak peek..

I'll start with the big one that most are waiting for, the skates. There will be 2 models if I understood well, "Speed something" and another one (forgot the name). The unnamed one was cowlingless. He said they will stand a bit higher than the Bauers (mostly due to the blades) but the pitch is the same. They have a snap in blade and there's a rotary spring adjuster to better secure the blade in place (cue Bauer blades getting knocked off the boot from pucks). They looked nice, almost Vaporish if I can say. I asked him if they've widen the toe box for these and apparently they have. We'll see when some of you get their hands on a pair.

The chest pad, not sure if it was the pro or sr, had some D30 used here and there. Looked pretty stiff and in all honesty, if there was some trimming done due to the new rules, this thing looked massive.

The other piece I can speak of was the jock. It seems they included some gel in one of the models. What kind? Can't say. I wish I could of chatted with him some but they were talking business and then he jetted while I was checking some stuff out in another section of the store.

It doesn't seem like much but expect some leaks through Instagram and FB in the following months for sure.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 4:09 PM, creasecollector said:

Not sure if anyone else has has any CCM Velcro issues

@creasecollector, yes I too have those issues with my RetroFlex.  Mine are 4 years old now and aside from that velcro, the pads are holding up great (only about 50 beer league ice times per year).  But next season forwards, it'll be 80+ games a year.

For this reason (and my age, 44), I will always have leather straps on my pads, for the durability as you mentioned.  I still push the velcro together, it stays connected, but it's the leather straps that are really holding the pads on.  I might fix this myself in the off season, or, try the pads without the velcro as well.

• Like 1

Just a question in general-

what is the point of the qk5 plastic straps? i dont see it as a spot of weight reduction bc well, its straps, not like strapping is gonna weigh you down when playing unless you have  a crazy amt of straps like helleybuck or holtby.

anyone have a comparison in weight from a qk5 strap compared to a normal leather to see if theres any drastic weight difference?
(Bold prediction- there wont be?)

I have massive velcro wear issues with my p2.9s. the large strap behind the calf already lost half the hard velcro, due to the lack of tabs to pull them off after use. The soft side velcro is missing chunks. The knee to calf elastic velcro, is starting to wear, again, due to lack of a pull tab. The toe bindings are wearing with the threading popping in several areas. Both protrusions on the ice facing side of the landing blocks have detached and rode to the inside, causing me to lose balance when sliding. Upon inspection, they were just glued in with fuckin glue gun glue in 2 small spots. The landing block themselves have started to bend and bow, with one of the blocks cracking halfway through. The speedskin side, on the knee and calf landing, where it meets the nylon, is cut too close to the sliding edge. The nylon to speedskin edge is now starting to rub and wear as i keep using them. 

I have been MASSIVELY disappointed by these pads given the engineering and design flaws. All the wear areas are fucking unacceptable. I've only had these since june, playing about 3 games a week.

I will be going back to my Warriors given i have NEVER had wear issues with their senior level g2 or g3 gear. 

This stuff is insulting at best.

16 hours ago, Max27 said:

Just a question in general-

what is the point of the qk5 plastic straps? i dont see it as a spot of weight reduction bc well, its straps, not like strapping is gonna weigh you down when playing unless you have  a crazy amt of straps like helleybuck or holtby.

anyone have a comparison in weight from a qk5 strap compared to a normal leather to see if theres any drastic weight difference?
(Bold prediction- there wont be?)

Dude don't get me started on that nonsense.  People who complain about strap weight should stfu and hit the gym.  Seriously.  All that is is someone looking for something to complain about.

• Like 2

Sorry, the strap thing is ridiculous.

I'm not saying lighter straps aren't something to aspire to or prefer, but do people really think Hellebuyck or Hotlby are "weighed down" by a few extra straps? That those straps are affecting their quickness, their energy? That they're making a difference in whether they make a save or not? Goalies from decades ago still wore stuffed leather pads with tons of straps, and they were still better and quicker than anyone on this board. 

It's fine to prefer less/lighter straps. But they're not going to make you a better goalie, or help you make a save. Sometimes I think on a subconscious level, many of us love to focus on our gear, because it's far easier to 'work on' than technique or training. Instead of worrying about strap weight, I'd work on your skating and conditioning instead. That stuff *actually* makes a difference in whether you make a save or not.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Sorry, the strap thing is ridiculous.

I'm not saying lighter straps aren't something to aspire to or prefer, but do people really think Hellebuyck or Hotlby are "weighed down" by a few extra straps? That those straps are affecting their quickness, their energy? That they're making a difference in whether they make a save or not? Goalies from decades ago still wore stuffed leather pads with tons of straps, and they were still better and quicker than anyone on this board. 

It's fine to prefer less/lighter straps. But they're not going to make you a better goalie, or help you make a save. Sometimes I think on a subconscious level, many of us love to focus on our gear, because it's far easier to 'work on' than technique or training. Instead of worrying about strap weight, I'd work on your skating and conditioning instead. That stuff *actually* makes a difference in whether you make a save or not.

Agreed. I'm not going to notice that weight. QK5 is weight difference is pointless only plus I see is durability advantages over leather. 
I think less straps are popular for us lazy cucks who just want to have more time to chug beer before/after our ice times (we all know that's the most important part). 

11 minutes ago, Kayen said:

Agreed. I'm not going to notice that weight. QK5 is weight difference is pointless only plus I see is durability advantages over leather. 
I think less straps are popular for us lazy cucks who just want to have more time to chug beer before/after our ice times (we all know that's the most important part). 

Beer...? And hockey...? I'm intrigued; tell me more.

9 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Rule of Thumb: If the weight difference does not equal something a Columbian drug lord would execute his subordinates over, it's not going to make your a better goalie.

Just to be clear: are we talking a reasonably well-adjusted, stable - if emotionally unavailable - murderous Columbian drug lord, or a laughs at nothing, takes counsel from a dead relative, batshit crazy murderous Colombian drug lord...?

11 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Rule of Thumb: If the weight difference does not equal something a Columbian drug lord would execute his subordinates over, it's not going to make your a better goalie.

I think you're onto something here and it requires a mime. Could be a site staple.

Do we have a more concise word choice?

Unless Pablo Escobar would have cut your fingers off, it's not going to make you better

4 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Dude don't get me started on that nonsense.  People who complain about strap weight should stfu and hit the gym.  Seriously.  All that is is someone looking for something to complain about.

yeah exactly. not like straps are gonna weigh you down lol