NME VTX Deconstruction

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I tend to agree, it's probably something like this that is way outside our traditional thought process 

How is a cage different than foam though?

I'll take a swing at this one... Cage vs. Foam Liner...

1. Cages hold their own Certifications (CE, CSA, HECC.) They are model/size specific and are mechanically attached at fixed mounting points (and typically include disclaimers to inspect/replace mounting hardware that also meet standards/specifications,) which significantly reduces the opportunity for errors by the average user when replacing. (Also my point when we talk why don't more manufacturers have mechanically attached liners and make them available in the aftermarket.)

2. Cage inspections for damage/defects/wear are much more obvious than the similar inspections for foam liners. That is to say the average user likely won't know how to effectively and accurately determine the condition of their foam liner (elasticity, resistance to deformation, etc.)

12 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I tend to agree, it's probably something like this that is way outside our traditional thought process 

How is a cage different than foam though?

11 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I'll take a swing at this one... Cage vs. Foam Liner...

1. Cages hold their own Certifications (CE, CSA, HECC.) They are model/size specific and are mechanically attached at fixed mounting points (and typically include disclaimers to inspect/replace mounting hardware that also meet standards/specifications,) which significantly reduces the opportunity for errors by the average user when replacing. (Also my point when we talk why don't more manufacturers have mechanically attached liners and make them available in the aftermarket.)

2. Cage inspections for damage/defects/wear are much more obvious than the similar inspections for foam liners. That is to say the average user likely won't know how to effectively and accurately determine the condition of their foam liner (elasticity, resistance to deformation, etc.)

This is precisely the reason. The mask has its own certification separate from the cage. The foam and internals are components of the mask itself and don't carry their own certifications. You certify the mask as a whole.  The cage is certified on its own and thus can be swapped.

We go through the same deal in my industry with UL.

• 8 months later...

Curious, are there replacement hardware kits available for bauer nme masks? The one thing that really aggravates me is the plastic in the mechanical liner breaking open where the screws attach, and I kind of want to just use regular screws that are the perfect length in the helmet so the straps attachments are perfectly snug on both sides of the shell.

Then I want to install the mechanical liner without the metal screws.... using velcro so I can just pull it out and hand wash it  / push it back in when I'm done.

Is there a kit I can use for that?

Thanks!

The replacement hardware for the inner liners are just simple standard mask hardware. Can get at any hockey shop.

As for the liner, you can use low profile velcro and attach to strategic areas of the mask however it may change fit as the velcro will amount to approximately 1/16th - 1/8ths of an inch in increased thickness. I actually threw out my mechanical liner because it was so badly rusted and broken on the liner side, that I just made my own system. 

IMG-20180923-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20180923-WA0003.jpg

58 minutes ago, ruckus007 said:

The replacement hardware for the inner liners are just simple standard mask hardware. Can get at any hockey shop.

As for the liner, you can use low profile velcro and attach to strategic areas of the mask however it may change fit as the velcro will amount to approximately 1/16th - 1/8ths of an inch in increased thickness. I actually threw out my mechanical liner because it was so badly rusted and broken on the liner side, that I just made my own system. 

IMG-20180923-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20180923-WA0003.jpg

Is that one of the 961 Maltese kits the GoalieParts was clearing some months ago?

• 4 months later...
On 6/24/2018 at 9:22 AM, goalieThreeOne said:

Not to mention two different shell sizes and three different fits for the senior model alone.

Would you happen to remember which shell size is for different fit?

Shell size 1 for fit 1 and 2 and Shell size 2 for fit 3?

Or Shell size 1 for fit 1 and shell size 2 for fit 2 and 3?

Thank you.

Archived