Attack of the Clones

TheGoalNet

• 2 months later...

Ok I know we all have some form of hatred for Battram here but here me out

CF4A126A-EECA-4748-BDB4-5C944321B933.thumb.jpeg.df0246ccb538aebe8127e1ca104f6b24.jpeg

They’re learning and evolving. Ordering from a brand with zero dignity has its benefits in that they literally will do anything you ask for. You can get your favorite pieces from one brand and combine it with parts from another. 

• Like 1

I have loads of respect for the lesser high profile manufacturers.  It's often easy to dump on someone who isn't brand name or focuses on alternative markets.  But sometimes we need to acknowledge people who've been crafting good, solid and affordable gear for over 20 years.

Scott Battram is definitely in this category.  His graphics (like them or not) have been exceptional and exactly what the customer wanted.

When I was looking for someone to make me a set of leather gear 10 years ago he stepped up with some great hides and filled the bill.  Sure, they're not to everyone's tastes but I don't give a damn because I got exactly what I wanted - still using them too.

DSC_0020_2.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Ok I know we all have some form of hatred for Battram here but here me out

CF4A126A-EECA-4748-BDB4-5C944321B933.thumb.jpeg.df0246ccb538aebe8127e1ca104f6b24.jpeg

They’re learning and evolving. Ordering from a brand with zero dignity has its benefits in that they literally will do anything you ask for. You can get your favorite pieces from one brand and combine it with parts from another. 

They may be able to do whatever you want, but how do we know what their quality actually is? It can have whatever specs I wanted and it could be bad quality, and even if it was good quality I'm not gonna bring myself to wear a company who uses other brands logos just cause their customer asked them to, and if wearing their pads gives them even one more ounce of attention I'm still not wearing that shit.

Whether it's technically not allowed to use other brands logos, I don't care. It doesn't really set you apart in a good way when that's what you're known for.

19 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

I'm not gonna bring myself to wear a company who uses other brands logos just cause their customer asked them to, and if wearing their pads gives them even one more ounce of attention I'm still not wearing that shit.

Do you have a personal experience to back up these claims or just the usual internet jargon?  

I have had crap pads made by Brians yet they seemed to have survived alright.  For a few years I wore a mighty fine C/A from a small time operator in Pickering, Ontario.  It just seems too easy to vilify a small time manufacturer online because someone else said that they got shitty gear.  Just curious ......

11 minutes ago, Wonder35 said:

Do you have a personal experience to back up these claims or just the usual internet jargon?  

I have had crap pads made by Brians yet they seemed to have survived alright.  For a few years I wore a mighty fine C/A from a small time operator in Pickering, Ontario.  It just seems too easy to vilify a small time manufacturer online because someone else said that they got shitty gear.  Just curious ......

Where did I say I knew what their quality of gear was? Reread my post again, I quite literally said who knows if the quality of their gear is quality and even if it was I'm not gonna wear it if they're gonna keep using other companies graphics, but go ahead and cut that part off.

2 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

They may be able to do whatever you want, but how do we know what their quality actually is?

I’ve been wondering that myself. I still wouldn’t wear it if it is good quality simply because I can get better deals elsewhere but it wouldn’t stop me from recommending it (after recommending everything from Bauer to Factory mad). I don’t support what Scott does as far as blatantly copying other companies graphics but he definitely has his market and has figured out a way to maintain it. If for some obscure reason I ordered a battram set I’d ensure the graphic is original or at the very least copying someone else’s custom graphic. Not some stock graphic. I can’t speak the same for the specs as I know what I like and if they’re gonna build it then why not get what you know and love. There’s only so many ways to get an elastic strap from one side of the calf to the other so it’s inevitable that someone’s going to copy someone else at this point. What I’m trying to say is that copying the back of a leg pad is fine in my eyes so long as the front of the pad doesn’t resemble something that’s already been made for retail. 

• Like 1

The funny thing is, Battram was known for amazing custom graphics. If you check out their website, you can see countless examples of wild concepts executed perfectly. So if someone chose Battram to build them a set, why wouldn’t you utilize his ability to execute an awesome design of your creation instead of asking him to duplicate a known stock graphic?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Teezle said:

When I ordered a Brian's GNetik set about 8 years ago, I originally wanted an iceberg-style graphic and was told they didn't do them, because it would be too similar to Vaughn's well-known graphic. Times have changed, I guess.

image.png.f18b20aee1412e9cdaa63a83dd8147bd.png

Helps when Mike Vaughn is one of the owners of Brian's

Garth Snow is likely the main goalie who wore equipment so big, it gave the impetus for equipment reduction league-wide. Do people remember just how big his gear was before the crackdown on gear size? I occasionally hear people complain about goalie equipment getting bigger. It’s gotten reduced in size several times since the season that wasn’t played due to a lockout. The athletes wearing it have gotten bigger. Snow had nice gear style though, despite it being enormous. 

14 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Garth Snow is likely the main goalie who wore equipment so big, it gave the impetus for equipment reduction league-wide. Do people remember just how big his gear was before the crackdown on gear size? I occasionally hear people complain about goalie equipment getting bigger. It’s gotten reduced in size several times since the season that wasn’t played due to a lockout. The athletes wearing it have gotten bigger. Snow had nice gear style though, despite it being enormous. 

The man played within the rules... but at the very edge of that envelope. God bless him for being able see over those shoulder floaters and move in pads that size. 

Garth Snow next to Ron Hextall, wearing his controversial (oversized) chest  protector. #garthsnow #flyers #oversiz… | Flyers hockey, Hockey goalie,  Hockey equipment

Tender Setups™ on Twitter: "Garth Snow [Submitted by @Wobba22]: Brian's  Demon Setup http://t.co/IWjQgYFzWt"

Look at the size of Hasek and his equipment | Page 8 | HFBoards - NHL  Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League

2 hours ago, Taco said:

Snow and Giguere we’re likely the candidates when it came to chest protection, but I always think of Skudra when it came to pads. That guy wore some of the tallest sets ever made. 

Lets not forget my guy Manny Legace.  I think the dude wore 33+7 or something like that!  An arthritic grandmother could close the 5 hole with his pads.

Edited by Puckstopper

3 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Lets not forget my guy Manny Legace.  I think the dude wore 33+7 or something like that!  An arthritic grandmother could close the 5 hole with his pads.

Oh yeah! I almost mentioned him. He was definitely guilty. Lol. Dude is doing a great job as the CBJ goalie coach  

Sean Burke and Trevor Kidd both wore like 40” pads, so tall that they brought back the fourth knee roll. They were on the taller end of the spectrum for goalies though. 

Edited by Taco

• 8 months later...
7 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Yep, more or less a straight copy of the Maltese/Roughneck/Eco collars, right down to the flap on the back and binding along the perimeter.  The padding they used is noticeably less springy than the originals

What is the fabric material like?  Similar to the newer generations of Eco/Roughneck/Maltese?  I keep seeing pictures pop up of used collars and they look very well used after a short period of time; major fabric pilling, holes, etc.

My original Maltese (old heavy gel, when you had to have a 2 hour phone conversation with Phil just to order) is still holding up with no holes after probably 10 years or more.  Can't even remember how long ago I got it.

31 minutes ago, Hockey37 said:

What is the fabric material like?  Similar to the newer generations of Eco/Roughneck/Maltese?  I keep seeing pictures pop up of used collars and they look very well used after a short period of time; major fabric pilling, holes, etc.

It’s pretty close.  I’m not sure the later generation collars ever changed the fabric