Attack of the Clones

TheGoalNet

I'm more perturbed by the lack of vision or imagination displayed by someone who decided to go with a custom graphic. Really, that rendering of a (soon-to-be-outdated) CCM Premier pad is the best design that person could think to get on a brand new set of gloves? Hell, I don't even think it makes much more sense if that person already has a matching set of CCM legpads... get something better on your gloves, and have your next set of legpads match that!

At the end of the day, it's that person's money (or their parents, if I had to guess), and if that graphic makes them happy and Battram's willing to do it, go with god. But it sure seems like a wasted opportunity to me...

(... as well as a shady, fairly unethical business practice on Battram's part, but I've already established that as my opinion)

As odd as it is that someone would just outright choose to pay for gear with a custom graphic rip-off, it's equally odd that Battram would then put it on social media to say "look what I did!."  They could technically make this stuff and be more discreet about it.  But nope, both the customer and the maker are proud of it and have no issues with showing it off without concern.

On 12/7/2018 at 11:39 AM, GoalieTimmy33 said:

We have received inquiries from pros on occasion - given our history, ability to customize and the fact that all our gear is made in Canada we have the ability to offer anything the other guys do.  We just don't see NHL market share as the sole metric of success.

There's a lot more youth and beer league goalies out there than there are NHL goalies. I'm sure Passau is doing just fine without the NHL. 

Wanting guys in the NHL to wear your gear really has nothing to do with selling them the pads they wear... it's all about their power of influence. The number one place that those youth and beer league goalies look to is still the NHL, bar none.

Nike knows that giving one pair of sneakers to Lebron James is more valuable than selling half a million sneakers to half a million kids.

Passau might be doing fine without the NHL, but if they could persuade some NHL goalies to wear their stuff and they could afford the logo fee, they'd have their gear in the NHL tomorrow. 

I have had Scott (Battram) build me 2 sets of gear. He is working on my 3rd set right now. His retro gear is the best, well constructed I have used. My 3rd set will replace my current brown retro set. The whole clone or coping issue is a bunch of crap. He built my white and red set with the iceberg graphics. I tried Vaughn and did not like them. Talking about clones, check our my MCM pads from 1996. The current Bauer 2S graphics look similar. P1100821.thumb.JPG.87e54c7f2c65b1685fea1a1df23ef472.JPGME.thumb.JPG.c74759bec475a3e9c41ef2eaed871386.JPGDSCN0001.thumb.JPG.8416bec858069c80683cb11099ffea8a.JPG 

3 hours ago, oldstandupgoalie said:

I have had Scott (Battram) build me 2 sets of gear. He is working on my 3rd set right now. His retro gear is the best, well constructed I have used. My 3rd set will replace my current brown retro set. The whole clone or coping issue is a bunch of crap. He built my white and red set with the iceberg graphics. I tried Vaughn and did not like them. Talking about clones, check our my MCM pads from 1996. The current Bauer 2S graphics look similar. P1100821.thumb.JPG.87e54c7f2c65b1685fea1a1df23ef472.JPGME.thumb.JPG.c74759bec475a3e9c41ef2eaed871386.JPGDSCN0001.thumb.JPG.8416bec858069c80683cb11099ffea8a.JPG 

Heaton originated that spike graphic and then everyone had their version of it... 

EEB42796-873A-4565-A97A-03EB32BC2E1C.jpeg.31ca9254c7998008cd0c443e16962027.jpeg

D6B3B0C6-4EC6-4A38-8483-7253E2B6B670.jpeg.264c5dc2c25913e77dac410e623c013e.jpeg

8A3FBC10-9147-477D-BF32-A5DD8770088D.thumb.jpeg.448d1faabc2f64f0947784718f10864e.jpeg

And this is a tribute done correctly... clearly resembles the originally, but it’s a NOT complete rip off 

25FAE7C1-E052-406B-B311-6A0C8BAB20F1.jpeg.6437182a9542db9ddd817bb4669331c5.jpeg

And while we are on Vaughn... if you asked the guy who came up with the iceberg graphic if it was okay for Battram or Simmons to use it, he’d say no.

Its no different than asking a company to screen print a Nike logo on a shirt you’re having made. 

I don’t blame you for not liking Vaughn gear. I don’t gravitate toward there stuff often myself. It’s great you got custom gear at a great price from Battram, but why not just come up with your own graphic or use one of Scott’s stock? I don’t have any issue with Battram, just the graphic copying 

Whoa! I had no idea a Heaton pad so much as touched Richter's legs during his NHL career. Those are sweet.

Not quite the same as "the spike", but I asked for a slight twist on the Kenesky 'R-Series' graphic to make it resemble Brodeur's Helite III's up there ^^ It's a pretty vague tribute, colored knee rolls with a diagonal stripe -- several brands have had a pad that looks like that: Koho Revolution, Helite III, Vaughn Vision, etc. I'd like to get a pair of gloves that are a similar-but-not-too-similar take on the Heaton Wave to complete the look at some point.

unnamed-1.jpg.65b9c111c3bbe72e67a3b9305e

Edited by stackem30

1 minute ago, stackem30 said:

Whoa! I had no idea a Heaton pad so much as touched Richter's legs during his NHL career. Those are sweet.

Not quite the same as "the spike", but I asked for a slight twist on the Kenesky 'R-Series' graphic to make it resemble Brodeur's Helite III's up there ^^ It's pretty general, colored knee rolls with a diagonal stripe -- several brands have had a pad that looks like that: Koho Revolution, Helite III, Vaughn Vision, etc. I'd like to get a pair of gloves that are a similar-but-not-too-similar take on the Heaton Wave to complete the look at some point.

unnamed-1.jpg.65b9c111c3bbe72e67a3b9305e

That is an epic setup of "small guys" well done!

29 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

That is an epic setup of "small guys" well done!

Thanks! The small guys really have worked out for me -- I obviously have a taste for slightly older stuff, and the smalls guys are the ones who have been able to make that happen for me. Both my gloves need some work (a new palm for blocker, and I need to beef up the palm of my glove) but I love all my gear.

6 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Ha.

Not to detract from the childishness of the bike question, but it is actually news to me

image.png.665e1b57fbaa6f07168ede1da04f4b3a.png

That's a new bike, too.

I was more talking about CCM's origins:

image.png.f166970c9126e1388ff98b8cfde73d77.png

image.thumb.png.73b0c7c4278e45de83d12a485c94f410.png

Founded in 1899 and then:

By 1905, with saturation in the bicycle market, CCM began producing hockey skates using scrap steel that was left over at the plant from the manufacture of bicycles and automobiles, and subsequently began manufacturing other hockey gear.

Edited by IPv6Freely

just to stir up the pot, would it be considered stealing if I got a  copy of Jake Allen's retro helmet made by someone other than his mask painter. 

Here's the one I mean, it has a yellow cage, 3 very faint blues logos, and a blue stripe around the edge, none of which are anything new.

werf.jpg

1 minute ago, #16 said:

just to stir up the pot, would it be considered stealing if I got a  copy of Jake Allen's retro helmet made by someone other than his mask painter. 

Here's the one I mean, it has a yellow cage, 3 very faint blues logos, and a blue stripe around the edge, none of which are anything new.

werf.jpg

Probably, according to some on here. The question is... do you care? I personally wouldn't. 

6 minutes ago, seagoal said:

The subtlety of that mask is just one design element.

It's no different than asking if a direct copy of Rask's bear mask is stealing.

The content is irrelevant.

yeah but how many NHLers have coloured cages? lots. What do NHLers do when they get traded and dont have a design ready yet? they get 3 of their teams logos put on a blank mask. and can you really say that a blue stripe around the edge is a "personal" touch.