2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

13 hours ago, ruckus007 said:

I AM also wondering what's going on with Vaughn. I've looked at their stuff. It's a lot of warmed over items, sure, but CCM is NOTORIOUS for that with the Premier line, until of late. 

Bauer's Bauer, and I've never liked them much cuz I find their stuff too convoluted most of the time, and design/durability flaws are EVERYWHERE. 

The thing with Vaughn though, is they have not offered anything game changing outside of the Scrivens strap but big whoop. It's a well built set of gear but anyone can do it, you know? There's nothing that really provides any individuality. 

Maybe that's what they want, to be that old school classic style gear provider. But it sure as hell ain't winning them any battles.

Feel free to fill in, but so far, I've seen a lot of big names go:

Ward, Lehner, Price, just to name a few....Maybe Howard now too...

HOWEVER,

Some of their biggest stars and young guys are still in there:

Quick, Jones, Rask, Schneider, Allen, Murray,Mrazek, Korpisalo, Khudobin, Stalock, Wedgewood, Kinkaid, Niemi, Greiss, Brossoit, Miller, Keumper.

So it's still a lot of goalies, minus third strings. This also doesn't include pants, jocks, pants or collars, which a shit ton of NHL guys are still using (Lundy, Price, Andersen, just to name a couple) Maybe it's not as bad as we all think?

Schneider is CCM. Brossoit is Bauer 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Catering to the pros like they do will bite them in the ass in long run.

While exposure at the pro level is a huge marketing tool, these are guys that are very hesitant to make large changes in their gear. Quick's reliance on the V2 channel is a good case for this.

What's going to happen is that as new generations of goalies grow up, they're going to be using the latest and greatest and are far less hesitant to make sweeping changes to their gear. Do you think that little Timmy is really going to care for an "old-school" feel when the other players in the game are advertising massive improvements in sliding/seal/durability/rebounds, etc?

Nah man. These kids are going to grow up using the CCM/Bauer/Brians/Warrior gear and stick with it as they go through the system and make the show.

We're starting to see that now. We're seeing new goalies enter the league that have mostly viewed Vaughn pads as an old school styled pad and this will only compound itself over time.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Vaughn pads/gloves be a rarity in the NHL in about 5 years.

Very astute 

I’ve heard one company say that years ago they needed a pro to wear it to validate it. 

Newer generations are used to a new iPhone every year and want crazy tech. If they think it’ll work, they’ll try it 

Smart Straps are a great case in point. They were very popular at retail from the start and it took years for them to catch on the pros. Now every brand has their own version 

10 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Gotcha. Yeah, I would never have my skates like that in a million years 

I have had mine this way for years.  If you like to play the puck a lot, the rocker helps you get behind the net a little bit quicker with just a few quick cuts.  It helps goalies who move around more on their feet as opposed to on their knees.

I personally am done with Vaughn, except for a glove since I love my 5500.  If I ever get another set it is going to be Brian's.  I originally contacted them about sending my V6 pads back to them for a little refurb.  I wanted to have the elastic straps replaced and I wanted them to restuff my knee cradle.  The elastic straps are self explanatory, they've stretched out.  The calf strap is easy, its just two velcro ends.  The knee strap is sewn into the knee cradle, however.  I spec'd my pads with thicker softer foam in the landing side of the knee cradle.  It has flattened out quite a bit over the years so I wanted that redone.  They said they would have to take the pad apart to do it.  I'm not a professional pad builder but it looks to me like it can be done without taking everything apart.  I asked them how they would replace the knee strap and they said they would just cut it and sew it to the outside seam.  So I digressed, I asked them to just mail me 2 new elastic straps.  Its been crickets from them ever since.

1 minute ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I personally am done with Vaughn, except for a glove since I love my 5500.  If I ever get another set it is going to be Brian's.  I originally contacted them about sending my V6 pads back to them for a little refurb.  I wanted to have the elastic straps replaced and I wanted them to restuff my knee cradle.  The elastic straps are self explanatory, they've stretched out.  The calf strap is easy, its just two velcro ends.  The knee strap is sewn into the knee cradle, however.  I spec'd my pads with thicker softer foam in the landing side of the knee cradle.  It has flattened out quite a bit over the years so I wanted that redone.  They said they would have to take the pad apart to do it.  I'm not a professional pad builder but it looks to me like it can be done without taking everything apart.  I asked them how they would replace the knee strap and they said they would just cut it and sew it to the outside seam.  So I digressed, I asked them to just mail me 2 new elastic straps.  Its been crickets from them ever since.

Sara at PAW can help you with some new straps.

Between the stories like yours and @ULTIMA and Mike Vaughn’s delusional rant about Carey Price after switching from Vaughn products, Vaughn is a company I am not quick to do business with any longer. Yes- I am one of three people who love their cowlings (which now you can’t get replacement Step Steel for any longer), but the attitude coming across is not congruent with a company in which I would want to do business with. 

5 hours ago, Naz said:

I have had mine this way for years.  If you like to play the puck a lot, the rocker helps you get behind the net a little bit quicker with just a few quick cuts.  It helps goalies who move around more on their feet as opposed to on their knees.

5 hours ago, Naz said:

Yeah I’m pretty adequate in my butterfly so I’ll keep mine as is, but that’s good to know, just looks odd to me

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Wow. I personally love my set and won’t be straying from it soon but v6 isn’t that old of a set, you’d think they would be quick to sent you the spare parts for it. Luckily they have the spare parts for mine everywhere. Just gives the narrative that they’re not quick to sell to people with their older setups & with those kinds of parts. Kind of sad.

Sucks to see that from you though, you have an amazing setup. 

5 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Wow. I personally love my set and won’t be straying from it soon but v6 isn’t that old of a set, you’d think they would be quick to sent you the spare parts for it. Luckily they have the spare parts for mine everywhere. Just gives the narrative that they’re not quick to sell to people with their older setups & with those kinds of parts. Kind of sad.

Sucks to see that from you though, you have an amazing setup. 

Thanks but age really shouldn't have anything to do with it.  Its just elastic straps with velcro lol.  These shouldn't be any different from whatever elastic straps are on the new pads.  

5 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Thanks but age really shouldn't have anything to do with it.  Its just elastic straps with velcro lol.  These shouldn't be any different from whatever elastic straps are on the new pads.  

No I completely agree with the fact that it has nothing to do with age, but the Velcro elastic on the knee strap is double sided and the elastic on the calf has that carbon fiber where it starts. Maybe they have to make it from scratch?? Again it’s not really much different but that might be the case

1 minute ago, southpawtendy48 said:

No I completely agree with the fact that it has nothing to do with age, but the Velcro elastic on the knee strap is double sided and the elastic on the calf has that carbon fiber where it starts. Maybe they have to make it from scratch?? Again it’s not really much different but that might be the case

Oh ok so maybe it is different then.  My mistake.

17 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Oh ok so maybe it is different then.  My mistake.

Yeah maybe they dont have the parts for your pad anymore. If you think about it you always see people in other companies always switching to new stuff, it’s only the pros that have their little specs and it’s for a good reason, Vaughn just isn’t as innovative as other companies and most Vaughn users are gonna want their older stuff (trust me I do too) If they come up with something big they aren’t gonna have much of a problem with it anymore. I hope the way I explained it made sense. 

40 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

DmbMiBYXoAI-j_T.jpg

Roberto Luongo's new leggies.

Is that a new type of gold color, or is it the photo filtering? It looks different from the logo color, too.

If that gold is what I think it could be, I want a pair made of THAT material. I’d need a gold cage and possibly a grill, but I would rock that colour if it is a metallic that matches his cage window!!!!!!

20 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

If that gold is what I think it could be, I want a pair made of THAT material. I’d need a gold cage and possibly a grill, but I would rock that colour if it is a metallic that matches his cage window!!!!!!

I hope they do a metallic silver. I wanna look like the lunar module.

Archived