2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, TitanG said:

Dammit Price, you had one job! And yes it's to wear colourful gear!

He's back to the white gear for tonight's game.

It’s my understanding this gear was only built for practice. He wore it in the game he backed up. Will be interesting to see if this makes game action 

15 minutes ago, seagoal said:

It's still October but I'm calling Mike Smith as my champion of style this season.  

We'll see what the Winter Classic and Stadium games bring, but I can't imagine anyone beating this.

image.png.4b3f23c1473bc736881d16e9f5badb54.png

Thanks for posting the game pic! Hadn't seen it before. That mask... whether you like the shade of red or not... is amazing!!! I would shamelessly copy it in a heartbeat. As for the P2s... meh... I guess I just don't like the color zones in the first place... but the mask makes up for anything else he could have on in my opinion. 

23 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Thanks for posting the game pic! Hadn't seen it before. That mask... whether you like the shade of red or not... is amazing!!! I would shamelessly copy it in a heartbeat. As for the P2s... meh... I guess I just don't like the color zones in the first place... but the mask makes up for anything else he could have on in my opinion. 

Yeah, the pads could be better. I'm definitely glad he went with something with color, though when you think about it, Smith has always been one of the guys who generally eschewed the white-based gear trend and favored colorful gear.

But how cool would it have been if he copied this look? Part of me thinks if you're going to do a tribute, you might as well go the full mile, a la Brian Elliot's Cujo setup. I doubt CCM would do a proper replica set, complete with a waffle-board blocker and straps poking through the front of the pads. But they could still do a red blocker and glove with white binding, white pads with a red side, and a natural colored stick. 

image.thumb.png.ba35c287a4213b59133c7efe34dccdcc.png

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

It's still October but I'm calling Mike Smith as my champion of style this season.  

We'll see what the Winter Classic and Stadium games bring, but I can't imagine anyone beating this.

image.png.4b3f23c1473bc736881d16e9f5badb54.png

Hopefully those other goalies will step up their game now that they've seen what Smith it going with.

58 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I agree, these aren't his best colourway ever, and their is a lot of room for improvement, but it could've been worse...

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

Yeah, the pads could be better. I'm definitely glad he went with something with color, though when you think about it, Smith has always been one of the guys who generally eschewed the white-based gear trend and favored colorful gear.

But how cool would it have been if he copied this look? Part of me thinks if you're going to do a tribute, you might as well go the full mile, a la Brian Elliot's Cujo setup. I doubt CCM would do a proper replica set, complete with a waffle-board blocker and straps poking through the front of the pads. But they could still do a red blocker and glove with white binding, white pads with a red side, and a natural colored stick. 

Is that blocker 32 + 2? It's about half as big as his leg pad! lol

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

Agreed... a true tribute set.

Insofar as printed graphics are a thing now (which I neither support nor enjoy), I think taking it a step further and printing graphics that are basically the pads we are supposed to moving away from with modern goalie gear is just silly.

It's irony with a frosted layer of irony on top and just ridiculous.  Flat gear with graphics is one thing.  Flat gear made to look like non-flat gear is another thing.

For me personally, Bauer is just slipping further down on the list of companies who's gear I admire.

Yeah, McKenna's set was close, but no cigar imo. The general idea's great, and the gloves look cool. But the pads are in the Uncanny Valley, as far as goalie gear goes. They look like some video game pads... they look too much like what they are: a flat image wrapped around a 3D object. Ultimately, all the 'realistic'' details and shadowing make them look less realistic.

The possibilities of Bauer's digital graphics is cool, and from a weight/manufacturing perspective, it's probably the way of the future. But I can't really think of any of their printed sets that have really made me say "Wow!"

I think the problem is that the main thing you can do with digital graphics that you can't do with sewn-on graphics is make small, intricate designs. And I'd argue that goalie gear really isn't the optimal place for that. I mean, Hank's pads are a fine design and all, but they don't look that great on the ice. And remember the weird little touches on the Warrior Messiah line? That stuff just made the gear look like an Affliction t-shirt...

I think some of the lessons learned from the trends in mask painting can be applied to digital graphics on gear: just because you can make a ton of small, intricate details on something doesn't mean it will look good, especially when the thing they're printed on is constantly moving and often being viewed from a distance.

You can make the most insanely detailed, wild digital graphics, and it'll never compare to a nice design like the Koho Revolution, Koho 580, Heaton 10, etc.

5 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I think some of the lessons learned from the trends in mask painting can be applied to digital graphics on gear: just because you can make a ton of small, intricate details on something doesn't mean it will look good, especially when the thing they're printed on is constantly moving and often being viewed from a distance.

You can make the most insanely detailed, wild digital graphics, and it'll never compare to a nice design like the Koho Revolution, Koho 580, Heaton 10, etc.

Bingo. 

And, I personally don't think those Bauer pads look vintage. 

To me, they look like they were printed upstairs at my work or made in a Nintendo game.

Looking vintage with a touch of irony is fine, but these Bauer pads look silly in my eyes.  They don't look vintage, just fake.

Archived