2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When compared to other jerseys they put out after, mostly speaking of alternates at this point, these could compete with them. It seems the Islanders did struggle with their identity into the 90s, many years after their dynasty, perhaps hoping to recapture an audience. Maybe they're better suited for a minor league team.

23 hours ago, goalie381 said:

When compared to other jerseys they put out after, mostly speaking of alternates at this point, these could compete with them. It seems the Islanders did struggle with their identity into the 90s, many years after their dynasty, perhaps hoping to recapture an audience. Maybe they're better suited for a minor league team.

Rangers won the cup. Had a classic parade full of classic players... Iconic brand... Legends.

Meanwhile the Islanders were doing this:

Crxw7-oWEAAJIx5.jpg

So yeah, these jerseys were the final kick in the nuts the Islanders fans could take.

37 minutes ago, Flyers27 said:

Yea I remember the captain highliner jerseys well. Always thought they were ridiculous looking. Never liked the Mighty Ducks jerseys either. Thought it was a blight on the league that a team was named after a crappy Disney movie.

And now people are clamoring for that jersey, or an updated version thereof, to make its way back. The logo was better than the D foot though, that's for sure, even if it has that Disney connection.

12 hours ago, goalie381 said:

Ooooh, I liked these as well. Maybe I was the market segment they were targeting at this time. I've got one of these in my closet too:

image.png.e7372505a1193d92e6b0c5f0223d64d8.png

I actually liked these too, but I liked the Bruins "Winnie the Pooh" jerseys, so what do I know.

22 hours ago, Flyers27 said:

Yea I remember the captain highliner jerseys well. Always thought they were ridiculous looking. Never liked the Mighty Ducks jerseys either. Thought it was a blight on the league that a team was named after a crappy Disney movie.

21 hours ago, goalie381 said:

And now people are clamoring for that jersey, or an updated version thereof, to make its way back. The logo was better than the D foot though, that's for sure, even if it has that Disney connection.

Anaheim's branding has always been terrible IMO. I don't mind the teal and orange colorway of the original, but the cartoon logo has always been awful.

Their updated brand is better, but the orange and beige look resembles barf and there's a definite lack of cohesive design. 

43 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

Anaheim's branding has always been terrible IMO. I don't mind the teal and orange colorway of the original, but the cartoon logo has always been awful.

Their updated brand is better, but the orange and beige look resembles barf and there's a definite lack of cohesive design. 

The fact that Selanne's and Kariya's banners - while buddies and great teammates - are completely different.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHr0qxkbBf0saGFALfJAjOCR-L-DUCKS-A1-1022-04-LO1.jpg?w=620

Vs this:

?format=1500w

3 minutes ago, MTH said:

The fact that Selanne's and Kariya's banners - while buddies and great teammates - are completely different.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHr0qxkbBf0saGFALfJAjOCR-L-DUCKS-A1-1022-04-LO1.jpg?w=620

Vs this:

?format=1500w

Yeah that's just really weird why they would be different... I don't know of any other team that does that...

10 minutes ago, TitanG said:

Yeah that's just really weird why they would be different... I don't know of any other team that does that...

It might be a California thing. Different jersey eras when the guy last played is my guess. That or using the banner as a roundabout way to cash in on nostalgia for fans.

img_3820.jpg

25 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

It might be a California thing. Different jersey eras when the guy last played is my guess. That or using the banner as a roundabout way to cash in on nostalgia for fans.

img_3820.jpg

I think it is more of an expansion team thing, vs an original 6 team that stays with tradition. Most sports are this way. You don't see the Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs changing their colors ever either

27 minutes ago, Md30 said:

I think it is more of an expansion team thing, vs an original 6 team that stays with tradition. Most sports are this way. You don't see the Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs changing their colors ever either

Eh, I don't think you can pigeon hole any teams like that.

Canucks are an expansion team with tons of jersey revamps, yet our rafters are pretty coherent in their design.

canucks.jpg.61e16dbe8544678bf1e395371f2788d7.jpg

54 minutes ago, Md30 said:

Slightly disagree. Canadiens, Bruins, Hawks, Rangers, Wings, and the other original 6 team all have changed their jerseys a lot over the years. Maybe not in recent years or a while, but they did change. 

Tradition is overrated. Rangers should go to the Statue of Liberty head full time. Bruins should go to that bear logo from their black-based thirds. I never liked the Hawks logo, and there's cool re-designs on the internet they could choose. Only so much you can do for Habs' and Wings' logos so they stay by default.

While we're at it, make the Kachina 'Yotes jerseys their regular ones again, make the Ducks new "vintage" one their regular ones, and make the Kings purple again. Oh and make the Sharks jerseys interesting and not just black or teal.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Eh, I don't think you can pigeon hole any teams like that.

Canucks are an expansion team with tons of jersey revamps, yet our rafters are pretty coherent in their design.

canucks.jpg.61e16dbe8544678bf1e395371f2788d7.jpg

Only coherent because they re-did all of the banners to make them similar.
Here is the original Smyl retirement banner, and how the rafters looked when it was still known as GM Place...

banner smyl.jpg

banner gm.jpg

2 hours ago, Moose75 said:

Slightly disagree. Canadiens, Bruins, Hawks, Rangers, Wings, and the other original 6 team all have changed their jerseys a lot over the years. Maybe not in recent years or a while, but they did change. 

Tradition is overrated. Rangers should go to the Statue of Liberty head full time. Bruins should go to that bear logo from their black-based thirds. I never liked the Hawks logo, and there's cool re-designs on the internet they could choose. Only so much you can do for Habs' and Wings' logos so they stay by default.

While we're at it, make the Kachina 'Yotes jerseys their regular ones again, make the Ducks new "vintage" one their regular ones, and make the Kings purple again. Oh and make the Sharks jerseys interesting and not just black or teal.

No thanks.  I love them as an alternate but would never wanna change from the everyday jersey.

Archived