2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greiss demoing SLRs again. he tried these early last year too but he went back to his v7s. interested to see if they stick this time

also debut of his new mask. looks really cool. hes playing on sunday, excited to see his new gear pieces in action (provided the slrs stick)

IMG_0334.jpg

via Dana Heinze. Matt Murray's domepiece. No wonder this dude keeps getting concussed. Look how thin that padding looks!

DqjWd9pW4AE0eh5.jpg

On a related note: is there any surveys or studies to find out which goalies when concussed by shots had chin slings vs. chin cups?

1 hour ago, Moose75 said:

via Dana Heinze. Matt Murray's domepiece. No wonder this dude keeps getting concussed. Look how thin that padding looks!

DqjWd9pW4AE0eh5.jpg

On a related note: is there any surveys or studies to find out which goalies when concussed by shots had chin slings vs. chin cups?

1. That thing looks as thin as possible indeed.  As much as I understand the concept of well fitted mask, closed to yourself, the SHELL itself must be that close!  Second question, isn't that ruba-something, the cheapest form of foam available on the market?  If goalies in the show get custom helmet and the whole shebang, wouldn,t it make sense that these helmets are outifitted with Poron or some top of the line stuff?

2. I'd be really curious to see those results.  I personnaly sport the chin cup and find it very confortable and feel safe in it.  I feel it provides a better retention if/when the situation occurs where I'd potentialy lose my helmet.

15 minutes ago, Math. said:

1. That thing looks as thin as possible indeed.  As much as I understand the concept of well fitted mask, closed to yourself, the SHELL itself must be that close!  Second question, isn't that ruba-something, the cheapest form of foam available on the market?  If goalies in the show get custom helmet and the whole shebang, wouldn,t it make sense that these helmets are outifitted with Poron or some top of the line stuff?

2. I'd be really curious to see those results.  I personnaly sport the chin cup and find it very confortable and feel safe in it.  I feel it provides a better retention if/when the situation occurs where I'd potentialy lose my helmet.

Rubatex... it’s been a fixture in masks forever, for better or worse.

EVA foam had a good run but many stick with what they know.

i know the newer Bauer stuff is supplement with Poron XRD.  I do not believe any pros are using a Maltese Kit.

i love the freedom of sling, but am back in a chin cup with my Sportmask Pro 3.  I feel a little more connected to the mask with the cup

4 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Rubatex... it’s been a fixture in masks forever, for better or worse.

EVA foam had a good run but many stick with what they know.

i know the newer Bauer stuff is supplement with Poron XRD.  I do not believe any pros are using a Maltese Kit.

i love the freedom of sling, but am back in a chin cup with my Sportmask Pro 3.  I feel a little more connected to the mask with the cup

I'm asking because I talked with a very knowledgeable guy last week while buying foam and it was my understanding from that conversation that rubatex wasn't something to even consider, ESPECIALY if you're refurbishing/customizing a mask.

Only pro I remember using Maltese (and who put them on the map for me) is Jonas Hiller.  But he's not in the big league anymore and two seasons is a lifetime when it comes to gear marketing.

Chin cup feeling, same here.

9 hours ago, Math. said:

Pro's Choice does not use Rubatex.  I don't know what it is called but its actually a very nice foam.  Very soft, supple, and doesn't get hard even after years of use.  When I inquired with Dom to ask what is was all he told me was that "Its a very expensive closed cell foam."

On 10/27/2018 at 6:05 PM, Moose75 said:

On 10/27/2018 at 7:15 PM, Math. said:

The thin foam you are both looking at is only in the lower jaw, top of the head, and front of the chin cup. It’s there to cover any hardware from the snaps for the harness to mount on to. 

The backplate obscures the rest of the padding - Dom uses a mixture of 1/4” and 3/8”in the critical areas of the shell (forehead, cheeks, crown) 

11 hours ago, seagoal said:

This goalie looks so awesome.

I'm really hoping Seattle's NHL team goes with these colors. It's so Pacific Nortwest looking and green is so underused in the NHL.

Agreed, it looks very sharp. To split hairs, I'd hope they'd go with a primarily green jersey with yellow as the secondary color, the opposite of that picture. The NHL's been going pretty yellow (gold, whatever) in the last few years with Nashville and Pittsburgh. The Bruins have their thing, and teams like Buffalo and Calgary have it as a secondary color. Green isn't as prevalent, with only Dallas and Minnesota using it as their primary color, and Vancouver using it as a secondary.

That Holy Cross picture is what got me drooling. The NHL needs some purple in the worst way — it looks so damn good on goalie gear. If I could wave my own wand over the league, I'd have Anaheim in their original eggplant jerseys, and I'd have the Kings in purple and yellow. Their current black-based jerseys are such a snooze.

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

Agreed, it looks very sharp. To split hairs, I'd hope they'd go with a primarily green jersey with yellow as the secondary color, the opposite of that picture. The NHL's been going pretty yellow (gold, whatever) in the last few years with Nashville and Pittsburgh. The Bruins have their thing, and teams like Buffalo and Calgary have it as a secondary color. Green isn't as prevalent, with only Dallas and Minnesota using it as their primary color, and Vancouver using it as a secondary.

That Holy Cross picture is what got me drooling. The NHL needs some purple in the worst way — it looks so damn good on goalie gear. If I could wave my own wand over the league, I'd have Anaheim in their original eggplant jerseys, and I'd have the Kings in purple and yellow. Their current black-based jerseys are such a snooze.

I support your idea, for sure.

I want green as the primary,  as well. 

Honestly, I'd love to see the Canucks go back to the flying spaghetti skate and it's colour scheme and have the upcoming Seattle team take ownership of the Blue/Green.

Blue/Green is a far more PNW colour scheme than that yellow green colour. I know it would have a tie in with the Sonics, but I think the the tie in with the Seahawks is a better fit.

Archived