2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

Totally. But the whole 'Cechmanek was terrible' is far from the case. Flyers then couldn't score.Main reason why they didn't win with him.

The Shero Flyers played a killer system before teams even played systems. They were disciplined as heck (for the time). Bernie is still the man.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Colander said:

Yeah - I think the fact that Flyers have struggled for so long because of "poor goaltending" speaks for itself. Philly tends to be the goaltender's equivalent of Guantanamo

When someone tells me that the Flyers need a goalie - I always ask them - who's the best goalie in the league?

No one knows. They're just conditioned to say that the Flyers need a goalie.

WIP all last night was people calling in saying this. The hosts are hockey clueless and yet they'll say the same crap. It's the equivalent of saying Philly throws snowballs at Santa.

1 hour ago, MTH said:

When someone tells me that the Flyers need a goalie - I always ask them - who's the best goalie in the league?

No one knows. They're just conditioned to say that the Flyers need a goalie.

WIP all last night was people calling in saying this. The hosts are hockey clueless and yet they'll say the same crap. It's the equivalent of saying Philly throws snowballs at Santa.

Since the 2012-13 season the Flyers have had Steve Mason, Ray Emery, Rob Zepp, Anthony Stolarz, Michael Neuvirth, Jason LaBarbara, Brian Elliot, Petr Mrazek, Alex Lyon, and Calvin Pickard all make appearances. Meh. Generally inconsistent goaltenders at the NHL level across the board... some also injury prone. In retort to your question... I would point out that over the past 5+ years no one would say the name of any Flyer's goaltenders as best in the league... so while it's not THE issue... it is an issue. Hindsight being what it is... holding onto Bobs would have paid dividends.

Quick Corsi review of all regular seasons since 2013-14 (sorted by descending PDO) shows that at the end of the day... they have issues 5 on 5 for both shooting and save percentage. In fact the lone shining star they have in drawing penalties is quickly negated by their ability to take penalties as well.

image.thumb.png.986021e8f4cde00676374c0b40eec3a0.png

As for Carter Hart being that man down the line... people thought the same of a guy taken by Montreal with a similar pedigree in Zach Fucale back in 2011... and he's still bouncing between the ECHL and AHL.

Lastly, and for what it's worth... Eagles fan did snowball Santa... but they haven't made it a regular thing. The day they threw snowballs at Santa Claus

2 hours ago, MTH said:

Hands down the greatest goalie the Flyers ever had.

But if you listen to people, he was terrible because in a playoff game when they were getting rolled by the Sabres he yelled at his bench.

You think he wasn't good? Let alone the best the Flyers ever had? Chew on these stats:

Played just three seasons before the 'we need a goalie' dopes got him traded. In those three years he had a goals against of 2.01, 2.05 and a then NHL record 1.83 in his final "he stinks" season. Save percentages of .921, .921 and again in his "worst season", .925.

No other Flyer goalie was that good. Not Bernie, Pelle, Hextall, Favell, Phyl Myre, Niitimaki or Bruce Hoffort. Nobody.

Yet, everyone here will say he stinks because that's what they were told. 

By the way, in Cechmanek's last season here - and why he was ran out of town - he only won the Jennings trophy. 

What a bum!

I never claimed he wasn't good, only my least favorite.

nov-1999-john-vanbiesbrouck-of-the-phila

I liked Beezer's Philly setup, and I also kinda dug the mask, despite it being so glitzy and graffiti-like. 

Cechmanek was not the worst, but I get some of the exaspiration... so many of the goals he let up ended up on those Not-Top-Ten lists. Those can skew the optics on a player after a while. 

Plus, that unibrow...

21 hours ago, MTH said:

Hands down the greatest goalie the Flyers ever had.

But if you listen to people, he was terrible because in a playoff game when they were getting rolled by the Sabres he yelled at his bench.

You think he wasn't good? Let alone the best the Flyers ever had? Chew on these stats:

Played just three seasons before the 'we need a goalie' dopes got him traded. In those three years he had a goals against of 2.01, 2.05 and a then NHL record 1.83 in his final "he stinks" season. Save percentages of .921, .921 and again in his "worst season", .925.

No other Flyer goalie was that good. Not Bernie, Pelle, Hextall, Favell, Phyl Myre, Niitimaki or Bruce Hoffort. Nobody.

Yet, everyone here will say he stinks because that's what they were told. 

By the way, in Cechmanek's last season here - and why he was ran out of town - he only won the Jennings trophy. 

What a bum!

Sorry, but comparing goalies using stats isn't really working for me. I will ask you a question and you'll see what stats mean : If Tom Brady was drafted by the Cleveland Browns instead of the Pats, would he be a 5 time Super Bowl Champion? Even more, would he still be in the NFL today? Cechmanek was OK at best no matter what stats say, the Flyers were the toughest team back then, with little to none open space in their zone. Save % if a bad stat, Save % on scoring chances would mean something.

2 hours ago, Korppi32 said:

There was lot  of "before good goalies" in circa 2005 who couldnt change their style and gear (pads) and their career went down quickly. Only the bests survived, like Brodeur

Not sure what is worse... the goals he lets in... or the fact that someone took the time to make a compilation. Excellent music selection though.

3 minutes ago, chakal said:

Sorry, but comparing goalies using stats isn't really working for me. I will ask you a question and you'll see what stats mean : If Tom Brady was drafted by the Cleveland Browns instead of the Pats, would he be a 5 time Super Bowl Champion? Even more, would he still be in the NFL today? Cechmanek was OK at best no matter what stats say, the Flyers were the toughest team back then, with little to none open space in their zone. Save % if a bad stat, Save % on scoring chances would mean something.

I don't think your issue is with using stats to compare netminders... it's which stats are being used and making sure they're in context. A higher Save% doesn't necessarily mean a better goalie, context of situation and shot location(s) have to be brought in as well. GSAA is a decent stat as it is a comparison amongst peers in the same season... but comparing them between eras isn't easy either.

2 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I don't think your issue is with using stats to compare netminders... it's which stats are being used and making sure they're in context. A higher Save% doesn't necessarily mean a better goalie, context of situation and shot location(s) have to be brought in as well. GSAA is a decent stat as it is a comparison amongst peers in the same season... but comparing them between eras isn't easy either.

To have a good comparison stat, you need to take more variables into consideration. Someone in my local newspaper rates each goal on a scale from 1 to 3. 3 being "impossible to stop", 2 "nice goal but could be stopped" and 1 "bad goal". Well, the average of "3" goals in the NHL, as per him, is 12 to 13%. Carey Price is having a bad season, as per many people (right or wrong), but as per this guy stats, 40% of the goals allowed by Price and Niemi, so far, were rated "3". I don't think that stat is perfect neither, but it's miles ahead save % and goal against. The guy's name is Gilles Moffet by the way.

Agreed. That would be a great helper. I'd assume current GMs use more specific data like that. If not, Gilles should apply for a job.

Christ, look at baseball. I don't think there is a metric left that isn't used. Kinda sucks as a fan. It's like watching a calculus games.

Ooof, that's a blow from a gear-watching perspective. Probably the right move, though. He's really underperformed since he signed with Carolina and was given a crack at the starting position. The line "It just doesn't make any sense to have three goalies and the other two deserve to be here right now" must sting a bit — implies that Darling doesn't deserve to be there. I mean, he's played decently as of late, but overall he's been a big disappointment, and it appears he's being viewed as a bad investment by the organization.

Kind of fascinating how tough it is to tell which "over-performing" backups are legitimately ready to take on a starting job, and which ones are just that — over-performing backups. Some teams take a chance and end up with guys that appear to have been ready for the promotion — Hutton and Grubauer come to mind. Other times, you learn that the goalie may have hit their ability ceiling in stringing together some great games as a backup.

18 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Ooof, that's a blow from a gear-watching perspective. Probably the right move, though. He's really underperformed since he signed with Carolina and was given a crack at the starting position. The line "It just doesn't make any sense to have three goalies and the other two deserve to be here right now" must sting a bit — implies that Darling doesn't deserve to be there. I mean, he's played decently as of late, but overall he's been a big disappointment, and it appears he's being viewed as a bad investment by the organization.

Kind of fascinating how tough it is to tell which "over-performing" backups are legitimately ready to take on a starting job, and which ones are just that — over-performing backups. Some teams take a chance and end up with guys that appear to have been ready for the promotion — Hutton and Grubauer come to mind. Other times, you learn that the goalie may have hit their ability ceiling in stringing together some great games as a backup.

Halak has been a good story this year in this regard.

26 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Ones that immediately come to mind for me are Jones and Talbot.

6 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Ha, aww.

How tall is Darling? He seems smallish to me, for no terribly rational reason.  Maybe it's the solid red look making him look small.

Dude is listed at 6'5"....

Archived