2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

Cal Petersen rockin' a nice dome-piece and SICK throwback jerseys. Wish the Kings would bring back the purple. I mean it's a new GM, they are ancient, and will be rebuilding. Time to change the jerseys.

PS: Dinur on Flickr (username on a website for photos) posts a lot of great game pictures of NHL and AHL. Like these.

46987112492_52af612a8e_o.jpg

47039000661_c7cebf716e_o.jpg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Moose75 said:

Cal Petersen rockin' a nice dome-piece and SICK throwback jerseys. Wish the Kings would bring back the purple. I mean it's a new GM, they are ancient, and will be rebuilding. Time to change the jerseys.

PS: Dinur on Flickr (username on a website for photos) posts a lot of great game pictures of NHL and AHL. Like these.

46987112492_52af612a8e_o.jpg

47039000661_c7cebf716e_o.jpg

These are decent jerseys.

The NHL is sorely lacking purple.  Not drawn to it myself,  but for originality's sake it's a great way to stand out.

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

These are decent jerseys.

The NHL is sorely lacking purple.  Not drawn to it myself,  but for originality's sake it's a great way to stand out.

The Pacific division could be the most easily identifiable and colorful.

Canucks = blue

Seattle = kelly green? Navy/bright green?

Flams = glowing red

Kings = purp

Yotes = Kachina

Shorks = teal

John Gibson = their new thirds

Vegas = vegas gray 

18 hours ago, Moose75 said:

Not sure about those massive gray collars though.

7 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Not sure about those massive gray collars though.

I think it's supposed to mimic the look of a gorget on traditional medieval armor, but they just forgot to carry that design motif through ANY other part of the uniform. Ugh.

Yea, I'd just want them to lose the "Los Angeles" on the bottom, and maybe simplify whatever crest is put on the shoulder. Granted they're sporting two additional patches, but there's a bit too much going on in that jersey. Personally, I'd love it if they went full-retro and embraced the purple and yellow, but I'd take purple/black/silver for sure. Either way, I couldn't support a move back to purple more! Like @seagoal mentioned, it's a completely underused color in the NHL. Personally, I love how it looks.

For the record, all my gear is white/black/silver, and I went to Providence College ... and I still don't really like that as a team color scheme. It's undeniably sharp, but it loses its intrigue pretty quickly IMO.

gettyimages-579650152-612x612.jpg.7df6f30d6bbc2294d0b5842f6a3356e8.jpg

40 minutes ago, MTH said:

Shame to you all. Purple all day, but this is LA:

Harkins_ThrowbackConcept2011_Doughty.jpg

Instantly know who's playing with those beauties. And the gold one too like the guy in the stands.

4 hours ago, stackem30 said:

Yea, I'd just want them to lose the "Los Angeles" on the bottom, and maybe simplify whatever crest is put on the shoulder. Granted they're sporting two additional patches, but there's a bit too much going on in that jersey. Personally, I'd love it if they went full-retro and embraced the purple and yellow, but I'd take purple/black/silver for sure. Either way, I couldn't support a move back to purple more! Like @seagoal mentioned, it's a completely underused color in the NHL. Personally, I love how it looks.

No shame in my game, dog.

6 minutes ago, Max27 said:

Mike DiPietro got rushed to the scene last night and used his glove from Juniors with his Canucks 2x set. Love the usage of the graphic in this set

sdltd9978c6-nh-1024x576.jpg

Starting a raw goalie who has never played pro seems like a bad idea in this new age of scoring. Did he at least play well?

1 minute ago, Moose75 said:

Starting a raw goalie who has never played pro seems like a bad idea in this new age of scoring. Did he at least play well?

Yeah it was terrible on Vancouvers half to play him, hes not NHL ready yet. They shouldve kept Anders Nilsson, theyre gambling alot getting rid of him and relying solely on Markstrom and Demko considering Demko has 2 games under his belt w/ subpar stats in both games he played. They traded for Marec Mazanec as added backup

He was supposed to back up Markstrom but Markstrom tweaked something right before the game and he came in.

Vancouver lost 7-2, I personally dont think really any of the goals in this game are on either goalie, but you can be the judge of it- 

2 minutes ago, Max27 said:

Yeah it was terrible on Vancouvers half to play him, hes not NHL ready yet. They shouldve kept Anders Nilsson, theyre gambling alot getting rid of him and relying solely on Markstrom and Demko considering Demko has 2 games under his belt w/ subpar stats in both games he played. They traded for Marec Mazanec as added backup

He was supposed to back up Markstrom but Markstrom tweaked something right before the game and he came in.

Vancouver lost 7-2, I personally dont think really any of the goals in this game are on either goalie, but you can be the judge of it- 

Being in the Vancouver market and following the team, the coach said he could've played Markstrom instead but didn't want to risk it and wanted him to rest after I think playing 6 games straight. When they traded Nilsson to Ottawa for McKenna (and swapped some other players), my understanding is that it was both to allow Demko to backup Markstrom (his representation was apparently pining for that), and to clear a roster spot (one of the other players traded had a one-way contract and the one he was swapped for has a two-way). They then put McKenna on waivers to send him to the AHL, but since Philly needed anyone who could put the pads on the correct legs, they claimed him. Before that, the Canucks' AHL backup Bachman was injured for the entire season, then Demko got injure a couple weeks ago, and with Markstrom tweaking something the only guy with an NHL contract was DiPietro. Obviously they could've made a trade sooner for another goalie but I assume they gambled on Markstrom staying healthy and Demko returning soon.

3 minutes ago, TitanG said:

Being in the Vancouver market and following the team, the coach said he could've played Markstrom instead but didn't want to risk it and wanted him to rest after I think playing 6 games straight. When they traded Nilsson to Ottawa for McKenna (and swapped some other players), my understanding is that it was both to allow Demko to backup Markstrom (his representation was apparently pining for that), and to clear a roster spot (one of the other players traded had a one-way contract and the one he was swapped for has a two-way). They then put McKenna on waivers to send him to the AHL, but since Philly needed anyone who could put the pads on the correct legs, they claimed him. Before that, the Canucks' AHL backup Bachman was injured for the entire season, then Demko got injure a couple weeks ago, and with Markstrom tweaking something the only guy with an NHL contract was DiPietro. Obviously they could've made a trade sooner for another goalie but I assume they gambled on Markstrom staying healthy and Demko returning soon.

oh, i heard that Markstrom tweaked something right before, dont remeber where i heard it tho

it was a pretty big gamble they made and evidently didnt pay off

i dont personally think they should keep DiPietro- Its going to put them in a similar situation of the Luongo-Schnieder story they had and i think they should trade DiPietro or even Demko (whichever one they have the most confidence in should stay) to avoid future conflict , not a good idea to have a tandem  of 2 young goalies who are both extremely talented like DP and Demko

1 minute ago, Max27 said:

oh, i heard that Markstrom tweaked something right before, dont remeber where i heard it tho

it was a pretty big gamble they made and evidently didnt pay off

i dont personally think they should keep DiPietro- Its going to put them in a similar situation of the Luongo-Schnieder story they had and i think they should trade DiPietro or even Demko (whichever one they have the most confidence in should stay) to avoid future conflict , not a good idea to have a tandem  of 2 young goalies who are both extremely talented like DP and Demko

You're correct; Markstrom did tweak something in the morning skate.

Yeah, they threw DiPietro to the wolves.

I think it might be a mistake to trade one of them now because no team will likely pay a premium for either since they don't have the NHL numbers. Also, DiPietro is three or four years younger than Demko, so if they really believe in both then they should let them develop into NHL goalies first, then see where to go from there. I think for the GM the risk is too high to trade one of them now and watch them become a star elsewhere (like Bobrovsky).

12 minutes ago, Max27 said:

Except Luongo was fully entrenched as a full time NHL goalie when Schneider was brought in, whereas neither Demko nor DiPietro have accomplished much at the NHL level and thus have little trade value...

11 minutes ago, Max27 said:

That went about as well as I expected. Dumb decision, but better than full game from a beer league goalie like that dude who played in Chicago last year. That would have been dangerous.

1st goal - I hate to be the "anti-RVH" guy, but if he stayed on his feet when the play was behind the net he would have had a better chance to save that. Not saying he would have got it.

2nd goal - why did Hutton even do that? Peabrained play. Panicked reaction, as expected from a kid in over his head due to incompetent management thinking this was logical.  

3rd goal - screened and it was tipped. No chance

4th goal - Junior goalie facing a NHL level release. We'll again blame management for this one.

5th goal - see 4th goal, only NHL level speed and puck movement.

6th goal - there's only one goalie in the NHL who would have possibly stopped that outright. He is a freak, wears 88, and plays for Tampa.

7th goal - never got a clean sight on the puck, multiple screens and tipped.

If he's a keeper, he'll be back someday. NHL speed looks like it is just too much for him right now. I like his aggressive depth, but he overuses RVH. If he gets another inch on him it wouldn't hurt, either. I felt more comfortable watching him than Jake Allen, so there's that.

Seems like Demko can't stay healthy. In the preseason games he looked bad. A lot of drop and pray, or drop and spread. Dare I say the American version of how Markstrom looked his first few NHL games? With a serious concussion already on the books, he's starting to have a cloudy future. 

Mazanec, really? They couldn't find anyone else on waivers or in trades? He's mediocre to below average in the AHL. Man, having 31 teams has really stretched the depth thin.

They've also got Michael Leighton in Utica, but I read somewhere they can't call him up because he's only on an AHL deal. It also sounds like Mazanec will be in a race against the clock in terms of the visa process to get to anaheim to play...so DiPietro might be in again. 

I don't think Mazanec is too bad a call given the Canucks situation - cheap acquisition, probably hungry for a last shot to prove he can play at the NHL level (was Preds backup a couple of seasons ago before Saros outperformed him and took the job), and can slot back down to Utica without much fuss when Demko is back. This years Hartford team looks pretty bad across the board. 

On 2/11/2019 at 12:20 PM, MTH said:

Shame to you all. Purple all day, but this is LA:

Harkins_ThrowbackConcept2011_Doughty.jpg

Instantly know who's playing with those beauties. And the gold one too like the guy in the stands.

Looking at this pic, I feel like I should circling out the differences between both, lolll

9 hours ago, Max27 said:

Mike DiPietro got rushed to the scene last night and used his glove from Juniors with his Canucks 2x set. Love the usage of the graphic in this set

sdltd9978c6-nh-1024x576.jpg

That looks sooooo painful!!!

8 hours ago, TitanG said:

You're correct; Markstrom did tweak something in the morning skate.

Yeah, they threw DiPietro to the wolves.

I think it might be a mistake to trade one of them now because no team will likely pay a premium for either since they don't have the NHL numbers. Also, DiPietro is three or four years younger than Demko, so if they really believe in both then they should let them develop into NHL goalies first, then see where to go from there. I think for the GM the risk is too high to trade one of them now and watch them become a star elsewhere (like Bobrovsky).

Yeah youre right, it would become an issue if both become stars bc one would have their time wasted sitting on the bench when they could be starting for another club tho, so youd prob wanna wait, unless you wanna pull a Mike Milbury and trade a 20 year old Luongo to make space for, Ironically, DiPietro.

8 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Except Luongo was fully entrenched as a full time NHL goalie when Schneider was brought in, whereas neither Demko nor DiPietro have accomplished much at the NHL level and thus have little trade value...

i dont mean it like that, i mean that down the road theyll have 2 goalies that are capable of being starters as their tandem and end up with that situation of trading them 

8 hours ago, Moose75 said:

That went about as well as I expected. Dumb decision, but better than full game from a beer league goalie like that dude who played in Chicago last year. That would have been dangerous.

1st goal - I hate to be the "anti-RVH" guy, but if he stayed on his feet when the play was behind the net he would have had a better chance to save that. Not saying he would have got it.

2nd goal - why did Hutton even do that? Peabrained play. Panicked reaction, as expected from a kid in over his head due to incompetent management thinking this was logical.  

3rd goal - screened and it was tipped. No chance

4th goal - Junior goalie facing a NHL level release. We'll again blame management for this one.

5th goal - see 4th goal, only NHL level speed and puck movement.

6th goal - there's only one goalie in the NHL who would have possibly stopped that outright. He is a freak, wears 88, and plays for Tampa.

7th goal - never got a clean sight on the puck, multiple screens and tipped.

If he's a keeper, he'll be back someday. NHL speed looks like it is just too much for him right now. I like his aggressive depth, but he overuses RVH. If he gets another inch on him it wouldn't hurt, either. I felt more comfortable watching him than Jake Allen, so there's that.

Seems like Demko can't stay healthy. In the preseason games he looked bad. A lot of drop and pray, or drop and spread. Dare I say the American version of how Markstrom looked his first few NHL games? With a serious concussion already on the books, he's starting to have a cloudy future. 

Mazanec, really? They couldn't find anyone else on waivers or in trades? He's mediocre to below average in the AHL. Man, having 31 teams has really stretched the depth thin.

yeah youre right, he just doesnt look ready yet,

as for demko, i havent really watched him a lot, i dont have too much coverage of the canucks here on LI lol

And yeah, they couldve found better,   Mazanec was cheap and quick for them, all they needed to give up was a 7th

Obviously the Canucks situation was the result of some wacky mishaps/poor planning, but there's a reason teams are rarely in a rush to push a young stud into the show — regardless of their ability/potential, most young guys are just not quite ready for the speed of the NHL. Conventional NHL wisdom says it's a major risk to rush a young goalie into the league, lest their confidence gets shattered by a bucket of cold water. If anything, Hart's been one of the exceptions to the rule this year....

Still, I suspect we'll see more teams giving young guys (not Mike DiPietro young) a look in the future. The whole league's trending younger, and there's no reason to think goalies will continue to be a hard exception. With the salary cap, so many teams find themselves in "win now" mode, and if they think a young prospect might catch fire and help them win games, they're probably not going to play it safe and marinate them for another two seasons in the AHL. It will be interesting to see when it works, and when it doesn't.

Archived