2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, GoalieGuy101 said:

SLR’s are the best pad on the market and the VE8 XP glove is just as good as the 590 break

Well that's a matter of opinion, but there does appear to be a gradual migration of pros away from Vaughn. It seems like they lose a handful of longtime wearers every season — more than the usual flip-flopping you see every year.

It's been discussed at length in a few other threads here (I forget which), but the general sentiment is that Vaughn has failed to keep up with some of the innovations that have fueled other companies in the past few years. There was some interesting discussion about Mike Vaughn as well, and his attitude towards why Vaughn is faltering a bit.

I don't have much of an opinion on the matter — I've always liked Vaughn, and I'm pretty clueless when it comes to 'modern' pads. But I've noticed pros defecting, and when there's smoke...

34 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

It's been discussed at length in a few other threads here (I forget which), but the general sentiment is that Vaughn has failed to keep up with some of the innovations that have fueled other companies in the past few years. There was some interesting discussion about Mike Vaughn as well, and his attitude towards why Vaughn is faltering a bit.

16 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

2014: Olympic Gold Medal

2015: Becomes first goalie to win Ted Lindsay, Jennings, Vezina and Hart trophies in a single season.

2016: World Cup Gold Medal

I mean, it's true, he hasn't had much success since he left Vaughn back in 2011...

8 playoff wins in Vaughn, 17 wins in CCM, same amount of years.

14 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

2014: Olympic Gold Medal

2015: Becomes first goalie to win Ted Lindsay, Jennings, Vezina and Hart trophies in a single season.

2016: World Cup Gold Medal

I mean, it's true, he hasn't had much success since he left Vaughn back in 2011...

Good one Stackem !

Although they have made some recent breakthroughs with their Ventus line - dealing with them is impossible 16 week lead times last year when I was ready to pull the trigger on both a Ventus CA and Combo for my son.

Even the retailers dont like dealing with them - there is very limited/if any inventory in all of Quebec !

They will go to the side like - Dinosaurs

Absolutely agree that Vaughn needs to make more of an effort to keep up, and I absolutely love my setup and wouldn’t trade it in for anything but I completely understand & see that they’re falling back, especially in the sliding technology. 

In these interviews, those are the most flat out bullshit excuses I’ve heard. If your products are better than someone else’s, you don’t base it on what someone’s stats were when they were wearing it. You’re better off saying nothing at all.

if they keep this up they’re gonna lose another loyal Vaughn user as far as I care. 

Yes- I get that Mike Vaughn was an innovator at one time, but gimmicky “innovations” like magnets is all you have after charging the public like you have makes me feel like Mike Vaughn has NO grasp on reality, let alone RESPECT for the customer. Increase in prices can be justified if a reasonable amount of innovation is going on; otherwise- Vaughn should go for being me-too artist and keep his prices lower... Keep jackin’ up those prices for merely warmed over product- they’ll keep coming back, eh, Mikey Vaughn?  

1 hour ago, Big2 said:

Good one Stackem !

Although they have made some recent breakthroughs with their Ventus line - dealing with them is impossible 16 week lead times last year when I was ready to pull the trigger on both a Ventus CA and Combo for my son.

Even the retailers dont like dealing with them - there is very limited/if any inventory in all of Quebec !

They will go to the side like - Dinosaurs

I`ve heard this a lot. It`s basically a "our way or the highway" business approach they take.

11 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:
11 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Or just inefficiency. 

That doesn't make sense to me.  It is a 16 week wait at the busiest time of year when pro and junior and college players worldwide are getting their gear.

Their numbers may be declining (may not be, as well), but their wait times right now indicate they're very busy with high profile orders, enough to clog whatever level of efficiency they work at at any given time. 

That's different than inefficiency.

32 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Wouldn't a 16 week wait time be evidence suggesting they are successful and not going anywhere?

It could mean that, though I'm not sure a long turnaround time is indicative of an increased demand. It's quite possible that they just don't have enough people to make a decent turnaround on a normal level of orders, or even a decreased level of orders. I cannot speak to either.

It's quite possible we're being a bit overdramatic... Vaughn's still a huge name with a big following, and they make great gear. But an exodus of pro clients away from the brand is concerning, and has bad implications for the general public. You think they didn't take a hit in when Price left? Kids notice, and they care — Mike Vaughn is salty for a reason. And if the wait times continue to be long, the prices continue to be high, the innovations/improvements continue to be underwhelming, and more stores decide they don't want to deal with them... well, you could have a real problem on your hands.

Like I said, where there's smoke, there's fire. I doubt the sky's falling for Vaughn, but I doubt the horizon looks brilliant, either. Hopefully I'm wrong. I want to see more brands, not less.

35 minutes ago, seagoal said:

That doesn't make sense to me.  It is a 16 week wait at the busiest time of year when pro and junior and college players worldwide are getting their gear.

Their numbers may be declining (may not be, as well), but their wait times right now indicate they're very busy with high profile orders, enough to clog whatever level of efficiency they work at at any given time. 

That's different than inefficiency.

@stackem30 actually explained what I was getting at. But TL;DR:  long lead times =/= successful.

34 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Like I said, where there's smoke, there's fire. I doubt the sky's falling for Vaughn, but I doubt the horizon looks brilliant, either. Hopefully I'm wrong. I want to see more brands, not less.

I do feel like Vaughn is really only losing users on their gloves/pads. I'm pretty sure they still have easily the most successful C/A in the show and I'm pretty sure their pants are still widley popular too.

Who knows, they may end up following Brown's footsteps and slowly fading away from being a go to supplier for certain items and specializing in others.

Well, until they fade into obscurity.

8 hours ago, RichMan said:

I`ve heard this a lot. It`s basically a "our way or the highway" business approach they take.

Yes, but Vaughn is literally the only NHL level hockey company that’s been in business for 20+ and hasn’t gone bankrupt. 

Vaughn’s business is very conservative and maybe that’s why... 

Archived