Kustom Composites' one100 Goal Skates

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'm most definitely missing something, but why?

Wouldn't the 1s line be the same or no?

Lets you keep the older more flexible boot while being able to take advantage of the cowlingless trend.  Granted it is basically the exact shape of the Vertex cowling, it seems to be way more low profile than the actual cowling.

2 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Lets you keep the older more flexible boot while being able to take advantage of the cowlingless trend.  Granted it is basically the exact shape of the Vertex cowling, it seems to be way more low profile than the actual cowling.

Weren't the one100's still pretty stiff, especially against the RBK lines at the time?

This is too funny to me.

I sold my One100s on eBay and started the auction at .99. I normally do that that and they reach a reasonable number. For whatever reason, these skates did not sell well and I got like $15 for them?

As I was boxing them up, I was thinking about cancelling sale because I figured I could come up with a project for them. But then I thought... why would I ever want to go back to a cowling skate? 

I would order these tomorrow if I still had mine 

8 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

This is too funny to me.

I sold my One100s on eBay and started the auction at .99. I normally do that that and they reach a reasonable number. For whatever reason, these skates did not sell well and I got like $15 for them?

As I was boxing them up, I was thinking about cancelling sale because I figured I could come up with a project for them. But then I thought... why would I ever want to go back to a cowling skate? 

I would order these tomorrow if I still had mine 

I had an email conversation with Shawn about that mod. It was made out of necessity because his boot had cracked, but just loved those boots and did not want to replace them! He was originally just going to patch the skate and install a cowling, but felt it was much easier to add the newer holder, so he added an outsole (as the older goal skates, save for Graf, do not have a hard outsole) and built the composite where the cowl would normally be. 

He has had a few enqueries about this, but the way he does it, it becomes a permanent addition to the skate! Also- it is labour intensive, much like the cowlings made in Switzerland for a few of the European NHL-ers. I imagine this would be an expensive mod, but I did not ask for a number, either. 

From Shawn:

I've done some modifications to a few friends skates to go the Cowlingless route but in every case I started with their Graf skates. This is because the graf is built with the same outsole on their goalie skates as their player skates. So the new style holders will not without any problem.

The modification I did on my Bauer one100 was essentially out of necessity I like the way those boots fit I didn't feel like switching into a new pair quite yet. 
Unfortunately I had a small crack form in the heel on the right skate wear the rivet fits through. So I'm actually I was just going to repair the heel and mount them in a new cowling. 
I had an easier time finding a pair of the new style holders than I did Finding a new set of one100 cowlings.
So I made the choice to modify the bottom of the boot and add the carbon fiber Construction.
Basically I rebuilt the bottom of the boot which on the Bauer is a necessity because there's no outsole like a player boot has.
and then I felt since I was doing that I would wrap it up around the Lower Side of the boot to give it more stability a little more impact protection though I don't know if it's actually necessary.
and I wrapped around the toe box just for a little redundancy but again I don't know that it's even necessary.

It's not something I would outright say no I wouldn't mind somebody skate but it's fairly labor-intensive because it's an all hand build process. That's molded directly onto the existing boot it's not a removable feature it's like a second skin So what advantage is the profile of the boot is extremely streamlined. But it requires having the boot physically in hand to do the modification.

First the bottom has to be smooth and leveled out using reinforcements and a special type of epoxy for compression.
Once I had the bottom completely leveled out I applied carbon fiber pads to the area's I knew the holder wood mount to give it more stability. Then I wrapped the boot as you see the black area with two layers of Kevlar fabric and then two layers of carbon fiber fabric which are then compression bonded using epoxy resin. The labor-intensive part is everything has to be leveled and hand sanded and then each of those layers has to be applied by hand one at a time let that layer tack up and then apply the next layer and so on.
So the cost to do it for someone would probably be prohibitively expensive.

How do you say I've been building custom goalie masks for almost 30 years and I work with Aerospace composites so it was pretty straightforward to do it for myself.

I've routinely Built My Own goalie sticks as well but that kind of ran into the same dilemma if I was doing it for myself it worked out okay and I built them sort of out in this essity because I didn't always have access to a right curve being a full righty.
So just became easier to just build some for myself. I had a lot of people express interest in me building them sticks as well but it's not very cost-effective when you can readily get left curve sticks pretty much anywhere.

If someone wanted to mod a Bauer one100 one80 pretty much any of the pre cowlingless goalie skates, likely the minimal modification could be done and that would just be to apply on new outsole. and that would be sufficient enough to make them work for the modern holders at most maybe adding aware patch on the high impact areas on the Inside Edge and such. Though for any goalie who still uses the older save selection like a kicksave there's probably still some advantage to the cowling.

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:14 PM, TheGoalNet said:

If anyone will seem me a size 10 One100 for less than $50 USD... im in 

I have a set of ONE100 LE size 10 that II love but may be willing to part with. Was looking to get around $100CAD but would be willing to negotiate or trade?

Archived