Love/Hate relationship with your gear?

mr_shifty1982

Looking how some people are selling gear they just bought I thought I start a thread....

Have you ever bought new gear you were not happy with, didn't want it after 24 hours and couldn't return it? But you stuck with it and finally got used to it? Or not? Tell us.....

My P1 custom set I was not happy with my choices of strapping, and the feel, the pads were falling and not holding up right.  Not to mention that they were too big (thigh rise).  But I stuck with it, played with the strapping and loved it!

For the most part people over spec there gear. They figure" oh I seen some pro with this" or "seen with someone else get it maybe I will do the same ". Then they get it and hate it, and then you see the gear up on ebay or for sale some where else because now they can stand to use it. People need to seriously some though in to what they want when they do custom order, the main thing is do I really need that spec ?

Also buying it before trying it and finding out after it arrives you hate it. I did this with a Factory mad set last summer. I tried to make it work but after playing around with it for a month and using it a couple of times I hated it and had to move it. Took a loss on it but it had go. 

Do you have a pic of your strapping setup? What didn't you like about it? 

And I personally haven't had this happen since I've only had 2 sets in my life. And the only custom set I went with I made sure to think about what exactly I wanted on my setups, because it's being built for me, not the pros. I was tempted, don't get me wrong, but at the end of the day I needed to go with the specs that I knew I would be comfortable with. Even down to the colour scheme. 

815399139_MyCustomCCMPremierSetup.png.588aa0669f8c7965c6365a90fe399424.png

43 minutes ago, Snowman30 said:

For the most part people over spec there gear. They figure" oh I seen some pro with this" or "seen with someone else get it maybe I will do the same ". Then they get it and hate it, and then you see the gear up on ebay or for sale some where else because now they can stand to use it. People need to seriously some though in to what they want when they do custom order, the main thing is do I really need that spec ?

Also buying it before trying it and finding out after it arrives you hate it. I did this with a Factory mad set last summer. I tried to make it work but after playing around with it for a month and using it a couple of times I hated it and had to move it. Took a loss on it but it had go. 

It has been said MANY times that  most people get mods for the sake of getting mods to be like their favourite pro player.

I admit that the best luck I’ve had is adding mods to stock gear and rarely have I had good luck spec’ing that mod on a custom piece of gear.

1 hour ago, creasecollector said:

Do you have a pic of your strapping setup? What didn't you like about it? 

And I personally haven't had this happen since I've only had 2 sets in my life. And the only custom set I went with I made sure to think about what exactly I wanted on my setups, because it's being built for me, not the pros. I was tempted, don't get me wrong, but at the end of the day I needed to go with the specs that I knew I would be comfortable with. Even down to the colour scheme. 

815399139_MyCustomCCMPremierSetup.png.588aa0669f8c7965c6365a90fe399424.png

What I should have got was the stock setup, but I didn't...I love that set now haha but I got my P2s and I'm happy.

My strapping was a lose fit but the elastic strapping didn't hold my leg as tight as those on your picture, so my pads were falling.  And no, my setup had nothing to do with the pros haha....what I didn't know is how loose my leg would be in those pads.

Happened to me bought a bauer total one gloves set pro stock made in canada was really exited to got them until i tried the gloves. Even if i made the keeps33 break in method twice can't seems to close it and can't catch anything with it....

I ordered a koho rev 587 vintage glove to match my all white set.  The glove is a 590 break  I can’t stand, I’m a 580 guy.  But the glove was on sale it matched my set.  I’ll give it a shot. Hopefully I’m the problem.  

Hate may be strong... but I did order thigh rises too tall on my current set of RetroFlexes... having Dennis over at FactoryMad shave them down in a few weeks.

Aside from that the only thing I can think of lately is when I purchased a pair of S190 skates I included a pair of 3G steels to have a spare set for what I knew would be soft steel in the stock 2G. 3G also ended up to be garbage and after a couple months of use went picked up, and been VERY happy with, Tydan DLC steels.

Fingers crossed I'll LOVE the new Passau Chesty... but won't know for a couple more months. Hips take forever to heal. 

54 minutes ago, Mike24 said:

I ordered a koho rev 587 vintage glove to match my all white set.  The glove is a 590 break  I can’t stand, I’m a 580 guy.  But the glove was on sale it matched my set.  I’ll give it a shot. Hopefully I’m the problem.  

16 minutes ago, Md30 said:

My Koho 587 might have been my 2nd favorite with the 580 being my favorite. There was about 12 years in between though.

Order (2) 589 Vintage gloves when I picked up my current set up w/ a 580 break for the very reason both of you are describing... it's the only break I love... and matches the set so even when I wear one out the second will be there to pick up where the other left off. Glove tends to wear the fastest for me... bindings etc. Must be all the tapping it on my stick to knock snow off after I let in a goal.

IMG_0817.JPG.c8364f31205ba3dda4c1f4043c89b57d.JPG

11 hours ago, Mike24 said:

I might take it off your hands if it doesn't work for you.  I've grown to hate my 600 break.

I've taken advantage of Goalie Monkeys demo program recently and have even returned sets I purchased through Pure Goalie (Yes! You can do that within 30 days even with puck marks) to try and minimize my losses while trying to figure out what I want.

I guess it works for me because I don't buy custom.  Can't justify the expense because my preferences are always changing and I'm just too damn impatient for that.

2 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

It's comfort I think. That 600 break feels weird af! No thanks. 

I just can't catch in the pocket with it, everything hits me in the palm.  I also cant shoot the puck nearly as well as I can with a 590.  I have an Eflex 3 600 game ready with D30 foam and its by far the worst glove I've ever used.  Granted, my style has a lot to do with it, but I'm also not impressed with the D30 foam protection.  More stingers than any other glove ive used over the years.  

19 hours ago, Xdave90x said:

Happened to me bought a bauer total one gloves set pro stock made in canada was really exited to got them until i tried the gloves. Even if i made the keeps33 break in method twice can't seems to close it and can't catch anything with it....

Bauer TotalOne trapper is a great glove, I'm surprised you don't like it. But yea, everyone's got different tastes. (Do you have them for sale?)

I blindly ordered a TPS R12 set back around 2010. When I got it I loved the pads and blocker, but the trapper immediately felt weird, and I put it up on ebay. About a day or two later, after wearing it around the house, it grew on me, and I cancelled the ebay listing. Turned out to be one of my favorite gloves. I've switched to SZ gloves now, and I'm happy with them, but there's still a voice in the back of my head telling me to order a set of Wilcox gloves.

On the flip side, I tried some KOHO 580's "back in the day" when they were all the rave, but after several days/weeks I still didn't like them and wound up selling them off cheap to another local goalie just to get rid of them. Actually, turns out I don't like any Lefevre gear at all.

3 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

I just can't catch in the pocket with it, everything hits me in the palm.  I also cant shoot the puck nearly as well as I can with a 590.  I have an Eflex 3 600 game ready with D30 foam and its by far the worst glove I've ever used.  Granted, my style has a lot to do with it, but I'm also not impressed with the D30 foam protection.  More stingers than any other glove ive used over the years.  

I hear ya, the 600 is special...it's not for everyone. I got the pro palm, the occasional stinger but not much. 

1 hour ago, estogoalie said:

Bauer TotalOne trapper is a great glove, I'm surprised you don't like it. But yea, everyone's got different tastes. (Do you have them for sale?)

I blindly ordered a TPS R12 set back around 2010. When I got it I loved the pads and blocker, but the trapper immediately felt weird, and I put it up on ebay. About a day or two later, after wearing it around the house, it grew on me, and I cancelled the ebay listing. Turned out to be one of my favorite gloves. I've switched to SZ gloves now, and I'm happy with them, but there's still a voice in the back of my head telling me to order a set of Wilcox gloves.

On the flip side, I tried some KOHO 580's "back in the day" when they were all the rave, but after several days/weeks I still didn't like them and wound up selling them off cheap to another local goalie just to get rid of them. Actually, turns out I don't like any Lefevre gear at all.

Coming from a rbk 590 break can't seem to adapt if you're full right willing to negociate !!

Eagle Fusion set. The "X" pattern, Red and White.

Loved the looks, hated the sizing of small, medium or large. (Hello Bauer!)

Medium fit atk but no thigh rise, large good thigh rise but atk off. Bought large pads. 

Got burned massively first time i used them, flipped them immediately afterwards. Had to have custom since then, for short atk and long thigh bones. 

On 7/19/2018 at 6:55 PM, Mike24 said:

I had a similar issue with my Retro Flex custom set.  I was a Vaughn/Brians guy my whole life and thought I'd try something new with a 590 break glove because it felt so good in the store -- what a mistake.  With all the different sets of gear over the years, I've adapted to any new glove, pads, CA etc within the first ice time, but with this 590 glove I finally had to ditch it after a season and a half of beer league.  I bought a custom 600 break Retro Flex glove and it was perfect after a 5 minute warmup.

I didn't think the break angle between 600 and 590 would have been so different, for me it was night and day.  I don't even think about hand positioning with the 600, but with the 590 my glove hand was a disability when it's normally one of my strengths.

Knowing this now, I'll be sticking with the CCM 600 for any future set of gear.

Archived