Bauer Gear

TheGoalNet

3 hours ago, RichMan said:

Getting back to my skates insoles, does anyone have experience with the Bauer Speed Plate insoles?

image.png.ecb8c8956e78edbf5e67b3da169ff4fb.png

I have them in my S190s and love them. I also use the Power Foot foam inserts. I’ve never enjoyed a pair of skates more than with this setup.

16 hours ago, RichMan said:

Getting back to my skates insoles, does anyone have experience with the Bauer Speed Plate insoles?

Use them. Love them. I was using superfeet for the longest time. I was having arch pain that would go away after about 30 minutes on the ice, so I would have to roll the sole of my foot before putting on my skates to loosen my arch up. I didn’t always have time to do that so I’d play with pain which was obviously distracting. Bought a set of these, baked them in my home oven, and they got rid of all my arch pain. Highly recommend them. Remember that superfeet are designed to help with heel issues not arch issues, so keep that in mind when comparing. CCM has some pre formed insoles with three different arch heights but I didn’t want to take a chance in getting the wrong height so I bought the moldable Bauer’s for the same price. 

On 2018-03-29 at 11:04 PM, RichMan said:

From my experience, the Speed Plates are perfect for people with high arches and the Superfeet Yellow/Carbon is more for players with low arches. 

My girlfriend (also a hockey player) had huge problems with her Superfeet and that was because her arches were too high and causing compression in that area. But has nothing good things to say about the Speed Plates. 

Seeking a recommendation from yins about Bauer goalie sticks.

Backstory: I've used wood/foam-core pretty much my whole life, save for one CCM Gatekeeper composite that broke after three skates. Oh, and one TotalOne I used in 2014. I actually liked the TotalOne, but found myself going right back to wood when the blade broke. I don't know if it's the illusion that they are more durable, or just personal preference. Anyways, the crux of my current issue is that almost all of my wood sticks get eaten alive by the ankle of the blade/bottom of the paddle. Doesn't take many skates for them to wear away on that area, and I'm kinda fed up with that (and the fiberglass splinters when I re-tape them).

Are the current generation of Bauer goalie sticks more durable than wood? I've heard tell that college teams force guys to use them so they have to buy significantly less sticks for the year. This, if true, is encouraging. I only have a few apprehensions, cost aside: one being that I use a custom stick, so the handle at the paddle is fairly unique in shape, and the curve is also a heel that has a slight mid/toe spot too. Two being paddle height, since every company has different heights. I don't even really know what mine is because I've used it for like three years. The only other thing that's keeping me away from composite is that I like the way wood deadens the puck, versus how it springs off of composite sticks. Also because I've used basically the same stick for three years and I'm afraid of change.

So my questions for you guys would be the pros and cons of experiences with Bauer composites, and a curve recommendation. I'm pretty anal with stick curves.

Edited by Moose75

I can't say if they will be more durable or not. Too many factors. Like level you play for example. And just plain luck or bad luck. You can have a $300 Bauer last you a week, a month or years. Just depends where/how hard it gets hit and how many times. 

I've had a few 1S sticks now. First one only lasted a couple weeks before it broke. Replaced under warranty. 2nd one lasted a few months. 

But saying how long they last is meaningless information as an NHL goalie could get more shots to their stick in one practice than I might get in a few weeks or even months. 

As for the paddle height, just take your stick to a store that has other sticks and then you can measure what height you would want with each company. 

22 hours ago, Moose75 said:

Seeking a recommendation from yins about Bauer goalie sticks.

Backstory: I've used wood/foam-core pretty much my whole life, save for one CCM Gatekeeper composite that broke after three skates. Oh, and one TotalOne I used in 2014. I actually liked the TotalOne, but found myself going right back to wood when the blade broke. I don't know if it's the illusion that they are more durable, or just personal preference. Anyways, the crux of my current issue is that almost all of my wood sticks get eaten alive by the ankle of the blade/bottom of the paddle. Doesn't take many skates for them to wear away on that area, and I'm kinda fed up with that (and the fiberglass splinters when I re-tape them).

Are the current generation of Bauer goalie sticks more durable than wood? I've heard tell that college teams force guys to use them so they have to buy significantly less sticks for the year. This, if true, is encouraging. I only have a few apprehensions, cost aside: one being that I use a custom stick, so the handle at the paddle is fairly unique in shape, and the curve is also a heel that has a slight mid/toe spot too. Two being paddle height, since every company has different heights. I don't even really know what mine is because I've used it for like three years. The only other thing that's keeping me away from composite is that I like the way wood deadens the puck, versus how it springs off of composite sticks. Also because I've used basically the same stick for three years and I'm afraid of change.

So my questions for you guys would be the pros and cons of experiences with Bauer composites, and a curve recommendation. I'm pretty anal with stick curves.

To address your heel splitting issue, before I wrap the full blade, I tape a strip on the bottom of the blade from the toe all the way up past the heel. I had the same problem as you when I played with foam core. I'm currently playing with a pair of 1s twigs and after taping the bottom and wrapping it normally, I can safely say I've had no issues with splitting or cracking on the heel. I'm fairly aggressive with the poke check (probably more than my team would prefer) and no issues thus far.

On 4/1/2018 at 2:27 PM, Moose75 said:

Seeking a recommendation from yins about Bauer goalie sticks...

I've had pretty overall good experiences with Bauer composites.  Started with the One95 I think... The one that got recalled due to the lead content in the paint, but only the junior and intermediate sizes were included (or a senior size being used by a kid) because the regulation was only for "children's" things.  The main thing I did start doing was only getting the highest end model because the lower models would almost immediately start flaking paint after taking some shots.  Went through a couple One80's before moving to the TotalOne and now 1S.

Both my TotalOne's broke the same way, but it was more due to my own style and tendencies than the stick's fault really.  Imagine if you lean on your stick for balance when sliding in the butterfly, and then add that up over a year and half/two years, my paddle broke a few inches down from the grip, same spot on both sticks.  Haven't had that issue with the 1S and it's going on 2 years now.  (This is based on 2-3 times per week, C to A division Beer League, so not college kids, but not nothing)

As far as your taping, +1 to @goalieThreeOne with the strip of tape on the bottom of the blade.  I still tape my 1S like this, even though it's not really a concern with the composite.

For the curve, honestly I've found it pretty difficult to find anything other than a P31 in a Bauer around me.  I've toyed with the idea of getting a custom set of 3-5 sticks that could probably last me the rest of my playing days, but haven't played around with different curves enough to warrant that.

1 hour ago, 1C5 said:

Who here is going to buy a 2s or 2s pro stick when they go on sale? I've got a couple 1s left so I'll hold off until I break them but as soon as they are done, I'll try a 2s pro. 

Me. 2S Pro. When it comes to sticks I’m a sucker for lightweight. I have a 1S and love the light weight. My CR1 is awesome too but heavier. I’m also always interesting in trying new stuff so it’ll be a launch day purchase for me. 

16 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Me. 2S Pro. When it comes to sticks I’m a sucker for lightweight. I have a 1S and love the light weight. My CR1 is awesome too but heavier. I’m also always interesting in trying new stuff so it’ll be a launch day purchase for me. 

How about giving the P2 stick a try for less the dollar value? After holding it, it felt very light.  I'm a big fan of composite light sticks as well!

6 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

How about giving the P2 stick a try for less the dollar value? After holding it, it felt very light.  I'm a big fan of composite light sticks as well!

4 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Yeah, but if I know there is a lighter stick out there...

I'll have to see what the P2 stick feels like just for completeness, but the previous Premier stick didn't feel as balanced to me as the 1S.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

I'll have to see what the P2 stick feels like just for completeness, but the previous Premier stick didn't feel as balanced to me as the 1S.

The Premier Plus is heavier than the P2 stick, the P2 stick felt lighter and more balanced to me....price point thought I think that Bauer will charge more.  Personal preference I guess at the end of it all.