Bauer Gear

TheGoalNet

Does anyone else with the 1x blocker feel like the index finger protection is too bulky? The index finger sidewall keeps catching on the grip coating on my 1s stick so it never slides all the way up the shaft. I think a lot of it has to do with how the 1s stick has no weight in the blade to give it momentum. But it sure is annoying to have to do two movements to get my blacker hand all the way to the knob.

Any ideas?

On 6/2/2018 at 6:59 PM, goalieThreeOne said:

Does anyone else with the 1x blocker feel like the index finger protection is too bulky? The index finger sidewall keeps catching on the grip coating on my 1s stick so it never slides all the way up the shaft. I think a lot of it has to do with how the 1s stick has no weight in the blade to give it momentum. But it sure is annoying to have to do two movements to get my blacker hand all the way to the knob.

Any ideas?

sell it and get a supreme blocker :P

4 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

1. That's a hell of a last name

2. The right leg pad looks like it's already indented. Is that just an illusion?

haha

I remember going to my local hockey store in weeks passed and there was a bin filled with Bauer blocker and gloves that were defected...I hope that's not the case

4 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

haha

I remember going to my local hockey store in weeks passed and there was a bin filled with Bauer blocker and gloves that were defected...I hope that's not the case

That's just kind of the look of the new Bauer products.

I remember being at a trade show last year for the 1X launch. I asked the Bauer rep if the 1X glove cuff was defective because it looked like the "skin" was either just hanging off or it was missing something underneath. (I've circled the area I'm talking about).

I'm sure the performance of them are fantastic, I just really can't get over the look of them. To me, they just look cheap.

258cd29dbdba0051_small.jpeg.b492c9e3301600e987e63e5784b508cc.jpeg

14 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

@coopaloop1234 that's exactly what I was talking about, and I think that the defective equipment were of the vapor line....not sure how the 2s stuff is, but it doesn't look good.

The reason you see the laces "denting" the pads is because there is very little air betweed the cortech and the core, almost  like they pull the air out before sewning everything togheter. I suppose having the laces exposed was the alternative option. Honestly, exposed lacing on a pad this flat would be worse looking than small wrinkes and denting . There are small wrinkles on a few edges close to the bindings and welting area, some set have those on the face of the pad. I guess I got lucky here.

1 minute ago, maxtm30 said:

The reason you see the laces "denting" the pads is because there is very little air betweed the cortech and the core, almost  like they pull the air out before sewning everything togheter. I suppose having the laces exposed was the alternative option. Honestly, exposed lacing on a pad this flat would be worse looking than small wrinkes and denting . There are small wrinkles on a few edges close to the bindings and welting area, some set have those on the face of the pad. I guess I got lucky here.

For some reason I thought there wasn't any lacing in the face of the pad. Maybe that's just my own ignorance then. 

@coopaloop1234 would be hard to build a pad without any form of lacing, glue couldn't withstand the shear stress that flexing the pads creates.

Shear Stress is a force acting inside an object due to a physical deflection or weight, it's what cause the paper to seperate when you tear it in half.

Edited by maxtm30
typo
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

1. That's a hell of a last name

2. The right leg pad looks like it's already indented. Is that just an illusion?

French Canadian + divorced parents = incredebly weird last names ?.

Imagine me in the NHL, the tv announcer would've a hard time saying it :P

• Haha 1

Hey guys. First post here. Recently started playing again after about a 2 year layoff and figured I would jump back on the Bauer bandwagon after years of using CCM/Reebok. Haven't had them out on the ice yet but excited by how light they are. Got some new to me 1X leg pads that seemed to conveniently leave out some wear spots in the pictures but still have a good amount of life left in them and a new set of 1s glove and blocker.

IMG_0087.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That's just kind of the look of the new Bauer products.

I remember being at a trade show last year for the 1X launch. I asked the Bauer rep if the 1X glove cuff was defective because it looked like the "skin" was either just hanging off or it was missing something underneath. (I've circled the area I'm talking about).

I'm sure the performance of them are fantastic, I just really can't get over the look of them. To me, they just look cheap.

258cd29dbdba0051_small.jpeg.b492c9e3301600e987e63e5784b508cc.jpeg

Common "issue" issue with laceless pads. Optiks have it to some degree as did the SZ's. Only other option is to slather it with glue which will add weight. Also might be reducing the glue used in response to the yellowing issues on the 1s line.

9 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Common "issue" issue with laceless pads. Optiks have it to some degree as did the SZ's. Only other option is to slather it with glue which will add weight. Also might be reducing the glue used in response to the yellowing issues on the 1s line.

A couple of 607304014_flat800x800075f_u3.jpg.a53fce5d2baa98bed3b5427bca781ab2.jpg's of glue couldn't offer that much extra weight.

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

A couple of 607304014_flat800x800075f_u3.jpg.a53fce5d2baa98bed3b5427bca781ab2.jpg's of glue couldn't offer that much extra weight.

Adding that glue isn't a necessity if it's for cosmetic purposes. Therefore, it's weight would be unecessary. 

Edited by maxtm30

3 minutes ago, maxtm30 said:

Adding that glue isn't a necessity if it's for cosmetic purposes. Therefore, it's weight would be unecessary. 

But it's weight would be almost negligible, why not add it? 

Aesthetics are a huge part of gear. Of course function is #1, but lets be real, how gear looks is a close second. Leaving off an ounce of glue and having the glove look like it's made in Billy Joe's shed doesn't make any sense to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

But it's weight would be almost negligible, why not add it? 

Aesthetics are a huge part of gear. Of course function is #1, but lets be real, how gear looks is a close second. Leaving off an ounce of glue and having the glove look like it's made in Billy Joe's shed doesn't make any sense to me.

It would never hold as long as you keep the gear; when you flex your pads, every layer compresses or expands depending on it's position relative to the flexion axis. In simpler words, every layer, skin and core foams, move parallel to each other ever so slightly. In the long run, glue would just stop sticking layers together and would be there for absolutely nothing, making it's weight useless.

Also, the foams would need to be "glueproof" so they don't absorb it and prevent it from actually working.

However, aesthetics are an important part of gear

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@TheGoalNet-When you posted a picture of the BC pads with the colored sliding surface on IG, I looked to see if they were actually the first OD1N pads with the color printed on the sliding surface/knee landing. I saw Lundqvist had blue on the sliding surface and knee landing of his pads earlier in the season.

fullsizeoutput_518.thumb.jpeg.b01df01c0f22a83b9a336451c94622bf.jpegfullsizeoutput_519.thumb.jpeg.e371d1ee7fd251f6a4e34cc881d37433.jpeg

3 hours ago, Moose75 said:

Anyone know how to fix this? Or at least seal it? Had a guy run into me while on a breakaway. 

IMG_3353.JPG

I've heard "auto goop and patience" was the best repair method, but that's as much detail as I got. I'd trust the method from the guy it came from though. 

4 hours ago, Moose75 said:

Anyone know how to fix this? Or at least seal it? Had a guy run into me while on a breakaway. 

IMG_3353.JPG

Pad Skinz is the easiest, but it won’t look too clean 

I’ve heard superglue works. No personal experience