Bauer Gear

TheGoalNet

On 6/26/2018 at 12:03 AM, braedub90 said:

Just got these in the mail ? 8.5 EE

Upgrading from Graf Ultra G50's (for sale, btw)

IMAG2405.thumb.jpg.19e4f4e7c96fe0f089d210a4ca2119e1.jpg

How are you getting on with the switch to these?

I'm a long time G50 user (with vertex cowls) and have been thinking about picking up some 1s on sale, but haven't been fully convinced to pull the trigger yet - the ones i tried on felt like they had a ton of forward flex in the boot because the boot wasn't wrapped around my foot that much (although that could be just because they weren't baked!)

9 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@SaveByRichter35 was randomly thinking about your desire for soft and cowling-less

Could you just get a lower end skate like S170?

Graf 7500 boot can be used to go without the cowling.
It's a full composite boot, a lot of rumors floating around that it's actually CURV composite:
Bauer saw it after licensing the material and Graf had to change mid run, so these boots are kind of hard to find.

9 hours ago, raucebyalien said:

How are you getting on with the switch to these?

I'm a long time G50 user (with vertex cowls) and have been thinking about picking up some 1s on sale, but haven't been fully convinced to pull the trigger yet - the ones i tried on felt like they had a ton of forward flex in the boot because the boot wasn't wrapped around my foot that much (although that could be just because they weren't baked!)

I haven't skated in them yet, so I can't give any feedback on them as far as transitioning.

Are you thinking about the Supreme 1S? Because I found it to be a totally different fit. The 1S didn't wrap around my foot like the Vapor 1X does, that's why I went with them. I could tell right away I would have had really bad lace bite if I went the Supreme route.

The Bauer website had this image, which really helps showing how different of a fit it will provide.
01precisionfit.jpg.b6009b67520537d2fcf7059af4c558bb.jpg

5 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@SaveByRichter35 was randomly thinking about your desire for soft and cowling-less

Couls you just get a lower end skate like S170?

Probably not.  I wasn't even comfortable wearing Vaugh GX1 skates and those aren't even composite.  I am sure the s170 are even stiffer than the Vaughns.  When I say I like soft I mean I am still wearing Bauer 7000 boots with the Vertex Cowling(one80 for the 4mm blade).
Image result for bauer 7000 goalie skates

This is why I am seriously considering sending my skates to Shawn to have them modded.  My only concern is how you told me the only 4mm option is jamming the Tydan blades into the Vertex holder.  I can't see that being a good long term alternative.

2 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Graf 7500 boot can be used to go without the cowling.
It's a full composite boot, a lot of rumors floating around that it's actually CURV composite:
Bauer saw it after licensing the material and Graf had to change mid run, so these boots are kind of hard to find.

If its composite I probably won't like it.

1 hour ago, braedub90 said:

Are you thinking about the Supreme 1S? Because I found it to be a totally different fit. The 1S didn't wrap around my foot like the Vapor 1X does, that's why I went with them. I could tell right away I would have had really bad lace bite if I went the Supreme route.

The Bauer website had this image, which really helps showing how different of a fit it will provide.01precisionfit.jpg.b6009b67520537d2fcf7059af4c558bb.jpg

Ah thats interesting - I'd not seen that diagram of the cut of the skate before. 

I hadn't considered the Vapor line really because I have wide feet - the Bauer measure machine has me at a nexus fit. But I had a similar experience when trying on the 1s in that it felt like the laces were carrying more of the load than in my Grafs.

2 hours ago, braedub90 said:

I haven't skated in them yet, so I can't give any feedback on them as far as transitioning.

The Bauer website had this image, which really helps showing how different of a fit it will provide.

This is more than likely because the supreme boot is for a wider foot while the vapor line is for a narrower foot. This is just like normal player skates. I have the Supreme S190 which are only different materials but it fits around my foot well because I have wider feet.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Probably not.  I wasn't even comfortable wearing Vaugh GX1 skates and those aren't even composite.  I am sure the s170 are even stiffer than the Vaughns.  When I say I like soft I mean I am still wearing Bauer 7000 boots with the Vertex Cowling(one80 for the 4mm blade).
Image result for bauer 7000 goalie skates

This is why I am seriously considering sending my skates to Shawn to have them modded.  My only concern is how you told me the only 4mm option is jamming the Tydan blades into the Vertex holder.  I can't see that being a good long term alternative.

Re: 4mm steel options. Not true. 

STEP Steel offers both 3mm and 4mm steel that fits in the Vertexx Edge holder. You’ll have to order from a Canadian retailer. The Goal Crease has them. 

3 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Re: 4mm steel options. Not true. 

STEP Steel offers both 3mm and 4mm steel that fits in the Vertexx Edge holder. You’ll have to order from a Canadian retailer. The Goal Crease has them. 

But is the holder made to accept 4mm steel or is it just shoving a 4mm blade into a 3mm holder?  At least with the cowling they made a version for each.

23 minutes ago, Awgoalie164 said:

This is more than likely because the supreme boot is for a wider foot while the vapor line is for a narrower foot. This is just like normal player skates. I have the Supreme S190 which are only different materials but it fits around my foot well because I have wider feet.

It's strange, because I tried on the 1S and 2s in 8.5 EE, and both were too narrow. I tried the Vapor and it was wide enough. I was under the impression that Vapors fit a little more forgiving and larger than the Supreme? I have wide feet, and that's how it feels to me, anyway.

48 minutes ago, raucebyalien said:

Ah thats interesting - I'd not seen that diagram of the cut of the skate before. 

I hadn't considered the Vapor line really because I have wide feet - the Bauer measure machine has me at a nexus fit. But I had a similar experience when trying on the 1s in that it felt like the laces were carrying more of the load than in my Grafs.

I suggest trying them on. I was in The Hockey Shop in Surrey for a couple of hours, and tried on Bauer and CCM, so I was able to compare between all the lines.

5 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

But is the holder made to accept 4mm steel or is it just shoving a 4mm blade into a 3mm holder?  At least with the cowling they made a version for each.

Bauer only makes a 3mm holder. 

The STEP steel is 3mm where it plugs into the holder. It flares out to 4mm after that. 

4 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Bauer only makes a 3mm holder. 

The STEP steel is 3mm where it plugs into the holder. It flares out to 4mm after that. 

Awesome.  Thank you for clearing that up.  That's the same strategy the Step offered for the their holder on the VH/True skates, yes?

7 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Awesome.  Thank you for clearing that up.  That's the same strategy the Step offered for the their holder on the VH/True skates, yes?

TBH I’m not sure. 

I was told the 1 piece is a 4mm blade, not sure about their 2 piece  

I personally bought a boot only and had Vertexx holders mounted. 

14 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

TBH I’m not sure. 

I was told the 1 piece is a 4mm blade, not sure about their 2 piece  

I personally bought a boot only and had Vertexx holders mounted. 

Yea I am pretty sure I remember reading that the Step holder for the two piece skate is a 3mm holder, since its the same holder for their player skates, and they shaved down the tops of 4mm steel to fit them.

1 hour ago, braedub90 said:

It's strange, because I tried on the 1S and 2s in 8.5 EE, and both were too narrow. I tried the Vapor and it was wide enough. I was under the impression that Vapors fit a little more forgiving and larger than the Supreme? I have wide feet, and that's how it feels to me, anyway.

I suggest trying them on. I was in The Hockey Shop in Surrey for a couple of hours, and tried on Bauer and CCM, so I was able to compare between all the lines.

Oh then idk ??‍♂️

6 hours ago, braedub90 said:

4 hours ago, raucebyalien said:

If you use the Bauer fit machine 

Player Supreme = Goalie Vapor

Player Vapor = Goalie Supreme 

Nexus = Something custom 

The Goalie Vapor will be Bauer’s most generous off the shelf fit. The 2S has way better wrap and more comfortable ankle padding compared with 1S. 

Bauer’s custom program is very good and maybe a wide Vapor with some additional boot volume will mimic a Nexus player fit?

contact @TGC-Rance if you need more details 

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Yea I am pretty sure I remember reading that the Step holder for the two piece skate is a 3mm holder, since its the same holder for their player skates, and they shaved down the tops of 4mm steel to fit them.

If you don’t go with the Franken Shawn boot, I think Graf is your best bet. You could probably go custom and get a legacy model, like the G750, and do the no cowling. 

10 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

If you don’t go with the Franken Shawn boot, I think Graf is your best bet. You could probably go custom and get a legacy model, like the G750, and do the no cowling. 

I have an old stock BNIB pair of 7000 boots that I still haven't touched.  I really have no reason to get another pair of skates.  

• 2 weeks later...

So I picked up a miss matched set of 2s gloves labelled 1s a couple of weeks back. I then came across a set of Spencer Martin pro return 2s gloves for a really good price, so sold the other set and bought the Martin set. I also came across a set of Bauer vapor 1x pads on kijiji that weren't used that much. For some reason it was hard to find used large Vapor pads, medium and xl were easy to find. Been in Brian's for a long long time so the change should be interesting. The 2s glove is really  great, closes  very well.

20180717_143748.jpg

20180717_143511.jpg

20180717_143632.jpg

20180717_143602.jpg

On 7/18/2018 at 4:28 PM, 1C5 said:

Let me know how you like the 1x pads. I've had mine for a year now and still love them. 

Thanks, will be a couple of months before am on the ice again. 

Question to those that wear the Vapor pads, what are you using for knee pads ? Just wondering with small knee lock area, as I don't want to cut anything away until I have used the pads a couple of times. I currently have the CCM Pros so am just wondering.