GSBB - Dead?

MTH

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, seems to be working for me...

The forum's effectively been dead for a while now (as most of us know), but it'll be a crying shame if we can't revisit those old pages. This forum is great, but based on the considerable duration of the GSBB and the sheer volume of posts, it's a wealth of knowledge that no other goalie gear resource can come close to at this point. All of my equipment searches invariably bring me back to ole GSBB.

It's still working for me, but the forum is essentially a graveyard. RIP

That site was lightning in a bottle.  Came around at the exact right time just before social media changed everything.

I don't think there will ever be anything bigger (despite what GGSU thinks of itself).

I wonder how much space it would take (in MB or GB) to archive everything on there.

There's a lot of chaff (ie. "what is the best place to buy pads") but there were some quality posts too.  Anything by Keeks/Steve McKichan there is gold.

37 minutes ago, TitanG said:

That site got me into goaltending.

I had made the decision to be a goalie already, but so much of what I read there (without being a member) certainly helped ensure that I got into goaltending without making a complete ass of myself. Even now, a google search on the more esoteric aspects of goalie miscellany will lead you back to those pages.

It still works for me. I go there sometimes, but there is not lot of new anymore. Looks like it happens to every internet forum when people move to facebook groups (btw. personaly don´t understand - yes, it is easy, but 1000x how to clean my pads & milion times how you like my set ???).

THANKS for TGN site and people here. I don´t post much, but visit every day and read everthing :). 

2 hours ago, MTH said:

A parent at the rink told me last night that having your kid jump into the pool with all his gear on will kill the stink. 

I started crying.

What about driving over your gear with your SUV to break it in?

Or testing mask shell strength by parking a car on top of the shell?

Or testing the protection level of a jock by wearing it and taking a rubber mallet...repeatedly... to the sack?

• 1 year later...

I joined the GSBB in 2004. It was nice overall, but it definitely made me a not-so-nice person. I learned 2 things:

1. The hockey community "brotherhood" is overrated.
  2. somewhere, SubZeroWins is telling someone of his time in the show, and nobody will believe him.

Archived