2X Pro

TheGoalNet

2 hours ago, Max27 said:

Their gear is already the most expensive on the market

Genuinely curious on this one, why do you say their gear is the most expensive like it's a big issue? This is what I can currently get at PHL (Canadian dollars). Doesn't seem like an issue to me. 

Screenshot_20190311-193905_Chrome.jpg

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mroy31 said:

Genuinely curious on this one, why do you say their gear is the most expensive like it's a big issue? This is what I can currently get at PHL (Canadian dollars). Doesn't seem like an issue to me. 

Screenshot_20190311-193905_Chrome.jpg

either GM has different prices or PHL does-

it being the most expensive is an issue to me considering the major flaws in durabiliy it has

Screenshot 2019-03-11 at 7.42.37 PM.png

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

it being the most expensive is an issue to me considering the major flaws in durabiliy it has

That 1X price is an anomaly. It's more expensive than regular Canadian pricing and it's extremely odd that the 2S isn't the more expensive pad, it's newer. Bauer's durability issues were well documented in the Od1n line and they have all been addressed from what I've read. I don't own any Bauer gear except for skates so I have no first-hand experience for this. I'm gonna be honest all your posts on this thread just come across as you not liking Bauer and nothing else. It's pretty damn clear why they aren't offering more custom options as has been stated numerous times now.

The price is the price, I don't like it because I have always been interested in the Supreme and Vapor lines but they are out of my price range, however, if I'm paying $1800 for Ef4's or $2100 for VE8's (a hilarious price) what's really the difference between those and $1900 Bauers?

Brian's and Vaughn is the most expensive gear in Canada for you they are $50 cheaper than a Bauer 2S pad when we are talking about a $50 difference when we are above $1000 on a purchase we are talking semantics. Also good luck with your custom options on the first run of a new Vaughn line.

Almost no large manufacturers in the goalie industry offer true custom except for Brians, or they do but the upcharge isn't worth it like you said.

If someone wants bespoke gear at a decent price we all know that you either go small or go to Brians, last I checked Brians custom options were not free either. If you want cutting edge you are going with Bauer or Warrior if you want traditional you're buying CCM or Vaughn.

I just re-read this before I hit post and I realize it reads like a personal attack on your opinion, that isn't my intent at all. Yes, I'm directly referring to your posts and comments but there is no ill will here.

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

I’m not saying Bauer is without issues... in fact I posted some from the demo sets I had. But in my opinion... your frame of reference being the internet is like getting all of your decisions on where to eat from Yelp reviews. For the most part the only people who provide reviews are those who are disgruntled for whatever reason. The valid ones get lost amongst the nonsense. 

The binding at the sliding surface has been addressed. Let’s quit stabbing the hell out of that already dead horse. You also can’t expect to get Honda Civic durability from an F1 car. (Let’s not overlook that Speedskin isn’t as durable as traditional Jenpro.) Please please please accept that. Bauer and their technology have changed the conversations we have about goaltending equipment. Sliding ability, big rebounds, feather light, and retail digital printing. 

I am not intending to discount your opinion as I’m sure you have read extensively on GGSU etc, but at some point first hand experience with the equipment outweighs what is at best 2nd or 3rd hand accounts.

Bauer’s line isn’t for everyone. No one piece of equipment is. But harping on the price point and counting the number of customizeable aspects of the pad is pretty pointless. 

19 minutes ago, Pauly35or00 said:

That 1X price is an anomaly. It's more expensive than regular Canadian pricing and it's extremely odd that the 2S isn't the more expensive pad, it's newer. Bauer's durability issues were well documented in the Od1n line and they have all been addressed from what I've read. I don't own any Bauer gear except for skates so I have no first-hand experience for this. I'm gonna be honest all your posts on this thread just come across as you not liking Bauer and nothing else. It's pretty damn clear why they aren't offering more custom options as has been stated numerous times now.

The price is the price, I don't like it because I have always been interested in the Supreme and Vapor lines but they are out of my price range, however, if I'm paying $1800 for Ef4's or $2100 for VE8's (a hilarious price) what's really the difference between those and $1900 Bauers?

Brian's and Vaughn is the most expensive gear in Canada for you they are $50 cheaper than a Bauer 2S pad when we are talking about a $50 difference when we are above $1000 on a purchase we are talking semantics. Also good luck with your custom options on the first run of a new Vaughn line.

Almost no large manufacturers in the goalie industry offer true custom except for Brians, or they do but the upcharge isn't worth it like you said.

If someone wants bespoke gear at a decent price we all know that you either go small or go to Brians, last I checked Brians custom options were not free either. If you want cutting edge you are going with Bauer or Warrior if you want traditional your buying CCM or Vaughn.

I just re-read this before I hit post and I realize it reads like a personal attack on your opinion, that isn't my intent at all. Yes, I'm directly referring to your posts and comments but there is no ill will here.

It didn’t sound like an attack. You probably said it better than I did. 

54 minutes ago, Pauly35or00 said:

If someone wants bespoke gear at a decent price we all know that you either go small or go to Brians, last I checked Brians custom options were not free either. If you want cutting edge you are going with Bauer or Warrior if you want traditional you're buying CCM or Vaughn.

Yeah i get all that, im just saying i dont see why they would release gear with known flaws in it with intent to fix it in the future. Just fix it before you release the pad

35 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I’m not saying Bauer is without issues... in fact I posted some from the demo sets I had. But in my opinion... your frame of reference being the internet is like getting all of your decisions on where to eat from Yelp reviews. For the most part the only people who provide reviews are those who are disgruntled for whatever reason. The valid ones get lost amongst the nonsense. 

The binding at the sliding surface has been addressed. Let’s quit stabbing the hell out of that already dead horse. You also can’t expect to get Honda Civic durability from an F1 car. (Let’s not overlook that Speedskin isn’t as durable as traditional Jenpro.) Please please please accept that. Bauer and their technology have changed the conversations we have about goaltending equipment. Sliding ability, big rebounds, feather light, and retail digital printing. 

I am not intending to discount your opinion as I’m sure you have read extensively on GGSU etc, but at some point first hand experience with the equipment outweighs what is at best 2nd or 3rd hand accounts.

Bauer’s line isn’t for everyone. No one piece of equipment is. But harping on the price point and counting the number of customizeable aspects of the pad is pretty pointless. 

I dont base my opinions off negatives solely, nor do i base it off postitives. I base it off the general consensus. If a majority of people are saying a piece of gear (hence OD1N pads) arent completley built to last, and are upper-tier pads. @Hills makes a good comparison calling them the players iron of hockey equipment, where its designed for elite-level goalies. The binding on the sliding edge in terms of the calf plate was covered, but they didnt cover the thigh or knee stack binding. It makes no sense from a design perspective, as it wears out. That part isnt on the pad, I see that as a pure design flaw. 

I have not based my opinions off anything on GGSU, nor would I. I haven't even used GGSU, before. Ive heard stupid stuff abt/on that website, akin to Sparks' outburst a few years back. I get he was trying to help someone, but its not a great look for a pro hockey player to put in writing how he wants to beat the shit out of some random guy online. I think he said abt how he wanted to "beat them to a fucking pulp" and how they sound like a little girl or something. lol 

Bauers line isnt for everyone forsure, it seems like they make 2 butterfly lines. Ive heard from so many people the Vapor lines doesnt play like a hybrid line at all

Dont get me wrong, I think Bauer gear is sick. Theyve done loads of innovating and its definetley nitpicking what my issues are, but i think companies should pay attention to little details over the giant details. You look at a company like Warrior (using them because theyre doing lots of innovations too, not trying to be a fanboy of them) they pay attention to little things to improve gear. Pete Smith designed the post wedge out of his own complaint as a goalie of finding a triangular gap when he was up against the post. Finding a way to make your own custom pad curve w the profile lock, the knee drive system, etc. My point is, from a customer standpoint, that the little differences like that make me want to buy a pad more than a big design. Bauers got the big designs down. Super Light design, Super hard rebounds, Great Sliding, and their printed on graphics, and I think they should improve on little designs to make the pads more in depth with their designs. Its tough to quantify what i mean but i hope you get the jist of it

14 hours ago, Max27 said:

Dont get me wrong, I think Bauer gear is sick. Theyve done loads of innovating and its definetley nitpicking what my issues are, but i think companies should pay attention to little details over the giant details. You look at a company like Warrior (using them because theyre doing lots of innovations too, not trying to be a fanboy of them) they pay attention to little things to improve gear. Pete Smith designed the post wedge out of his own complaint as a goalie of finding a triangular gap when he was up against the post. Finding a way to make your own custom pad curve w the profile lock, the knee drive system, etc. My point is, from a customer standpoint, that the little differences like that make me want to buy a pad more than a big design. Bauers got the big designs down. Super Light design, Super hard rebounds, Great Sliding, and their printed on graphics, and I think they should improve on little designs to make the pads more in depth with their designs. Its tough to quantify what i mean but i hope you get the jist of it

To a certain extent we will agree to disagree on some points. I think you get what I'm trying to say... but then some of the wheels kinda come off. Perhaps the best example I can give you of a product life cycle is the beloved iPhone. When it was launched back in 2007 it changed the conversation of what a device can be and how it integrates with our lives... in the 11+ years since they have had 14 additional releases of the product with incremental changes. Some of these changes were based on customer demand, while others were things that apple gave to a marketplace that didn't even know they needed them... but now can't live without. Of course competitors have studied the product and found their niche in addressing product gaps that apple doesn't and vice versa. That creates brand loyalty to their respective followers. You end up with things like the iOs and Android camps. Scale aside... this situation is no different in about every marketplace.

You say the little details are more important that giant ones... but without the giant ones you're looking at a snail's pace of incremental changes. Nothing pushing manufacturers in the market to do more than marginally improve their current version. I understand that those little things are very valuable to many people including yourself. Being able to dial in so many aspects of a pad gives a feeling of empowerment. But in my eyes I don't want a pad that can be made to do most anything... I want a pad that is designed to do specific things and do them well. While I like to tinker to improve equipment I prefer to have it relatively static... so I can focus on technique and not be constantly fiddling with straps etc. So a very different view from yours... and that's totally fine. It's also the reason why I look at things like Warrior threads but don't comment much. I don't wear them. I may ask questions of those who do to better understand both the equipment and how users are well... using it. But it just isn't the approach I take with my stuff.

My point is that I think to offer strong opinions on gear you really have to wear them. Regurgitating 2nd or 3rd hand experiences just doesn't work no matter how many you read. As I said before, I've worn Lefevre for a LONG time, but when I had a chance to demo both Bauer lines out of pure curiosity what seemed strange to me coming from a more traditional pad made much more sense. I didn't appreciate the gear until I was wearing it, at which point I also began to recognize why they don't need (or necessarily want) to have lots of specs to tweak in a customizer. Why? Because they work as intended and there isn't much that would need changing, or that could be changed. Very few (if any) products are perfect upon launch. Future iterations continue to evolve the product and address customer feedback but it will be just that in... future iterations. Bauer is still very much in the Introduction phase... they're figuring out what they have... what it can do (as well as what it can't do)... and how to bring as much as they can to the market over time.

Image result for PRODUCT LIFE CYCLE

5 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

To a certain extent we will agree to disagree on some points. I think you get what I'm trying to say... but then some of the wheels kinda come off. Perhaps the best example I can give you of a product life cycle is the beloved iPhone. When it was launched back in 2007 it changed the conversation of what a device can be and how it integrates with our lives... in the 11+ years since they have had 14 additional releases of the product with incremental changes. Some of these changes were based on customer demand, while others were things that apple gave to a marketplace that didn't even know they needed them... but now can't live without. Of course competitors have studied the product and found their niche in addressing product gaps that apple doesn't and vice versa. That creates brand loyalty to their respective followers. You end up with things like the iOs and Android camps. Scale aside... this situation is no different in about every marketplace.

You say the little details are more important that giant ones... but without the giant ones you're looking at a snail's pace of incremental changes. Nothing pushing manufacturers in the market to do more than marginally improve their current version. I understand that those little things are very valuable to many people including yourself. Being able to dial in so many aspects of a pad gives a feeling of empowerment. But in my eyes I don't want a pad that can be made to do most anything... I want a pad that is designed to do specific things and do them well. While I like to tinker to improve equipment I prefer to have it relatively static... so I can focus on technique and not be constantly fiddling with straps etc. So a very different view from yours... and that's totally fine. It's also the reason why I look at things like Warrior threads but don't comment much. I don't wear them. I may ask questions of those who do to better understand both the equipment and how users are well... using it. But it just isn't the approach I take with my stuff.

My point is that I think to offer strong opinions on gear you really have to wear them. Regurgitating 2nd or 3rd hand experiences just doesn't work no matter how many you read. As I said before, I've worn Lefevre for a LONG time, but when I had a chance to demo both Bauer lines out of pure curiosity what seemed strange to me coming from a more traditional pad made much more sense. I didn't appreciate the gear until I was wearing it, at which point I also began to recognize why they don't need (or necessarily want) to have lots of specs to tweak in a customizer. Why? Because they work as intended and there isn't much that would need changing, or that could be changed. Very few (if any) products are perfect upon launch. Future iterations continue to evolve the product and address customer feedback but it will be just that in... future iterations. Bauer is still very much in the Introduction phase... they're figuring out what they have... what it can do (as well as what it can't do)... and how to bring as much as they can to the market over time.

Image result for PRODUCT LIFE CYCLE

im not trying to say the little things are more important towards pad innovations and the companies productivity, im saying the little things complement the bigger things in terms of a design element. Take Bauers designs, all the stuff i mentioned above. Add onto that durability that other companies have, custom options like the actual printed graphics thing they advertise, Id see this as a "perfect" design, considering no pads really 'perfectly' complements someones style, it just doesnt really happen. Theres always something you could find as a negative, CCMs cracking cuffs, Vaughns (not anymore an issue but was for awhile w the velocity line) extensive pad settling, Warrior and Brians thigh rise issues where you can bend them inwards due to the thin-ness, etc. no pad design is truly perfect on its own, hence why i think more options would help them 

I kind of don't get why anyone would spend this amount of money on top end goalie gear that they can't change to their liking at all and is made in China. I hold this exact same opinion with consumer CCM equipment.

To speak to personal experience: thought the 2S pads performed well, the glove felt awful (but I'm very picky), and the blocker was fine. My only qualm with the pads in testing them is that I absolutely did not like the strapping and did not like knowing I could not order them any differently to address that. The slide was amazing and the rebounds are so bouncy that it's amazing.

6 hours ago, keeperton said:

I kind of don't get why anyone would spend this amount of money on top end goalie gear that they can't change to their liking at all and is made in China. I hold this exact same opinion with consumer CCM equipment. 

I'm not sure it's fair to state that they can't be changed AT ALL.  Both CCM and  Bauer at least offer reasonable customization options.  While neither are as extensive as what Brian's offers they both offer basic customization that will satisfy the vast majority of users.   After playing around with CCM's EF4 customizer I found the vast majority of my wishes could be accommodated and the ones that couldn't be were options in the P2 pad.  Bauer's offerings are certainly more limited and expensive, but again, if their gear is your cup of tea you can make reasonable changes.  

I guess after spending quite a bit of time with the Warrior GT2 and CCM EF4 customizers lately I feel like they've done a really good job of distilling the "custom" process down to the point where the average goalie has enough options to dial in a fit for their style without being overwhelmed.  It's kind of like buying a car.  If you want basic options get on the Ford (Audi, Honda, whatever) website and build up what you want.  If you want a truly bespoke one off item, buy the car and take it to a specialist to tweak to your specs.  In our world going the bespoke route means ordering from Brian's or Vaughn who specialize in that service and charge accordingly, or going with a smaller MFG and forgoing brand recognition.  All things considered, I feel like my goalie equipment is one of the things in life that I really CAN dial in to my preferences with a minimum amount of effort.  Now if only we had as many options for our sticks as forwards do... 

22 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

My point is that I think to offer strong opinions on gear you really have to wear them. Regurgitating 2nd or 3rd hand experiences just doesn't work no matter how many you read.

This x1,000,000!  At least have hands on experience with the gear before stating someone else's opinion as a fact.   As an example, it's a fact that I have never wanted to own a full set of Bauer gear because I've never found a catch glove I'm comfortable with from them.  That doens't mean it's a fact that Bauer gloves are bad, they just don't work for ME.   Bauer gear is pricy but continuing to  beat them up for issues with a line of gear that's no longer being offered doesn't make much sense.

I think it's important to remember that we're far more likely to complain about an expensive purchase that doesn't meet our expectations than we are to compliment one that does.  After all, we spent a ton of money on it so it should work perfectly every time, right?

19 hours ago, Max27 said:

im not trying to say the little things are more important towards pad innovations and the companies productivity, im saying the little things complement the bigger things in terms of a design element. Take Bauers designs, all the stuff i mentioned above. Add onto that durability that other companies have, custom options like the actual printed graphics thing they advertise, Id see this as a "perfect" design, considering no pads really 'perfectly' complements someones style, it just doesnt really happen. Theres always something you could find as a negative, CCMs cracking cuffs, Vaughns (not anymore an issue but was for awhile w the velocity line) extensive pad settling, Warrior and Brians thigh rise issues where you can bend them inwards due to the thin-ness, etc. no pad design is truly perfect on its own, hence why i think more options would help them 

Just try them yourself. Once you do I'm all ears to listen to what custom options you feel you would need that isn't offered. More options and a better pad are mutually exclusive. With the new customzier about the only options you don't get with Bauer are...

1. Tight Leg Channel (2X) with Stiff Boot (2S)
  2. Loose Leg Channel (2S) with Soft Thigh (2X)
  3. A bunch of leather straps.

image.png.86fb75051f28525e176d3834a9612874.png

Your (and anyone else's) criticism of CORETech's durability stems from either not understanding or a conscious effort to be unaware of what Bauer has done to change the the manufacturing method. Product evolution is a process, and the durability has and will continue to improve. You have to accept that to buy into what they're doing. It's no different from staying away from a car maker's fist year of a new model. Chances are there will be some issues (check into a company called Tesla.) But to flip your argument... why aren't you pushing as hard on other manufacturers to directly adhere a new outer skin material to the core instead of using traditional cut and sew methods? (No need to actually respond.) It's a give and take situation... and any company could be chirped for what they do or don't do. Just try the stuff.

4 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Just try them yourself. Once you do I'm all ears to listen to what custom options you feel you would need that isn't offered. More options and a better pad are mutually exclusive. With the new customzier about the only options you don't get with Bauer are...

1. Tight Leg Channel (2X) with Stiff Boot (2S)
  2. Loose Leg Channel (2S) with Soft Thigh (2X)
  3. A bunch of leather straps.

image.png.86fb75051f28525e176d3834a9612874.png

Your (and anyone else's) criticism of CORETech's durability stems from either not understanding or a conscious effort to be unaware of what Bauer has done to change the the manufacturing method. Product evolution is a process, and the durability has and will continue to improve. You have to accept that to buy into what they're doing. It's no different from staying away from a car maker's fist year of a new model. Chances are there will be some issues (check into a company called Tesla.) But to flip your argument... why aren't you pushing as hard on other manufacturers to directly adhere a new outer skin material to the core instead of using traditional cut and sew methods? (No need to actually respond.) It's a give and take situation... and any company could be chirped for what they do or don't do. Just try the stuff.

id be more than happy to try them, i just have no idea where i would get a demo set from. If i could get a demo set id do that 100%

On 2/5/2019 at 5:49 PM, TheGoalNet said:

@BadAngle41 - marching graphics on mismatched gear is considered a “True Design” custom and has the custom up charge. 

On 2/23/2019 at 3:08 PM, TheGoalNet said:

@TitanG - I am guessing that it has taken this long for a variety of reasons... (quality control on OD1N gear was probably an all hands on deck situation?)

but here's my opinion on the main one:

I am guessing Bauer sells 2000 pro sets a year at retail. If 500 of those sets turn into printing, that complicates the manufacturing process. That also is a pretty big number.

But contrast, Passau may only build 500 sets a year. If that same portion of 25% of customers converted to printing, that means Passau is doing 125 sets. Passau also has an advantage that every set they make now is made to order and custom graphics don't complicate things much. They are also not battling sharing the printer between retail order orders and custom orders.

Lastly, Bauer doesn't do cut and sew anymore. So all their pads have to go through the printers... is that 5000 sets a year?

I would also speculate Bauer probably did additional testing on things like UV effects or something like that. That's just based on my opinion that large companies test more things before launching new products.

This is NOT a knock on Passau. It's amazing they are offering this technology at a great price. There's just a reality it's harder for Bauer to scale it.

3 hours ago, Max27 said:

id be more than happy to try them, i just have no idea where i would get a demo set from. If i could get a demo set id do that 100%

Max, you should checkout the try it program, most reatailers that hold elite goalie gear will have demos for you there.

I tried them in january 2018 up to February, I gave back the gear to my rep and immediately made a custom order of 2s, never been more satisfied of anything else (hockey related). The gear works for me! 

Ps : I find the durability better than on my previous gear (brand’s name starts with a c).

8 minutes ago, maxtm30 said:

Specs:

square knee block

powerlite (stiff) thigh

CRS laces

No bootstrap (crs in box)

glove:

double T pocket

nylon laces

intermediate fit

game ready

blocker:

intermediate fit

Awesome. Does intermediate fit mean int size palms with senior size faces? If so that will greatly tempt me to order custom...

26 minutes ago, maxtm30 said:

Max, you should checkout the try it program, most reatailers that hold elite goalie gear will have demos for you there.

I tried them in january 2018 up to February, I gave back the gear to my rep and immediately made a custom order of 2s, never been more satisfied of anything else (hockey related). The gear works for me! 

Ps : I find the durability better than on my previous gear (brand’s name starts with a c).

id love to check out a demo set. Is there a certain time frame where i can get it? Also, does pure goalie carry it? I have one 40 min from my house I could pick it up at as oppose to getting it shipped

15 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Awesome. Does intermediate fit mean int size palms with senior size faces? If so that will greatly tempt me to order custom...

it means a senior glove with intermediate sized internals

21 hours ago, Max27 said:

id love to check out a demo set. Is there a certain time frame where i can get it? Also, does pure goalie carry it? I have one 40 min from my house I could pick it up at as oppose to getting it shipped

I’m os canada but pure hockey is pretty big and has a good relationship with bauer, so I guess it’s worth a call ;)

1 hour ago, maxtm30 said:

I’m os canada but pure hockey is pretty big and has a good relationship with bauer, so I guess it’s worth a call ;)

ok cool, ill check it out. Hopefully I eat my words, because the printed graphics would look awesome in a variation of this design

Screenshot 2019-03-14 at 5.56.33 PM.png

Archived