2X Pro

TheGoalNet

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I could argue a strong case for 2 pairs of X2.9 at the same cost as a 1 pair of 2X Pro w/ an extra set of steels. Of course I did buy 2X Pro already... but that's besides the point.

you could, but you would have to breakin a second pair at one point, while you could last twice as long with the pro model :P

3 minutes ago, maxtm30 said:

you could, but you would have to breakin a second pair at one point, while you could last twice as long with the pro model :P

Gone are the days of sore feet for a weeks while your boots mold your feet. Breaking in skates is largely a thing of the past... all of these composites w/ heat molding make it so the only possible issue is straight up incorrect fitment.

27 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Gone are the days of sore feet for a weeks while your boots mold your feet. Breaking in skates is largely a thing of the past... all of these composites w/ heat molding make it so the only possible issue is straight up incorrect fitment.

I've been selling skates for 4 years mate, I know that, still some people have aching feet after using new skates 

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

That is not true at all. Skate model fitment can really only account for footbed shape, and forefoot volume. There are several other factors that can cause skates to take a while to break in. In my own example, I have an absurdly prominent inner ankle bone. Despite heat molding my 1s skates three times, it still took a couple months before I could keep them on comfortably. Sometimes it isn't even the skate that needs to break in, it's your foot. I have what looks like permanent bruising on said ankle bones because of the constant pressure, however the pain is gone. Other issues might include bone spurs or Bauer bumps.

K

3 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

That is not true at all. Skate model fitment can really only account for footbed shape, and forefoot volume. There are several other factors that can cause skates to take a while to break in. In my own example, I have an absurdly prominent inner ankle bone. Despite heat molding my 1s skates three times, it still took a couple months before I could keep them on comfortably. Sometimes it isn't even the skate that needs to break in, it's your foot. I have what looks like permanent bruising on said ankle bones because of the constant pressure, however the pain is gone. Other issues might include bone spurs or Bauer bumps.

I feel like the 1S would be particularly bad for that issue. They had like no ankle padding 

do you still use those?

10 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

As you move up the product line you'll have a stiffer boot to better transfer energy as well as upgrades to just about each facet of the skate (including steel quality.) That said, if you prefer a more flexible boot... the 2.9 and 2.7 will provide that at lower price points to boot. 🥁 Taken from TheHockeyShop.com... their version of specs melded together...

image.thumb.png.d92d2d2382f943aad3a2c33e43016cb4.png

I currently have S170 skates, and I use them 6-7 times a week and have no complaints. If my feet are still growing, would you recommend going with S27, X2.7, or something a little higher. I don't want to buy a really high end skate that I will grow out of (even though I play a lot & high level). Also, why is the X2.7 $100 cheaper than S27?

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

K

I feel like the 1S would be particularly bad for that issue. They had like no ankle padding 

do you still use those?

Actually, it wasn't an issue in my Bauer Pro's, it only became an issue when I got the 1s. It's kind of like what you said when you reviewed the 2s skates. Folks were putting themselves into the 1s even if it wasn't the right fit because they wanted the cowlingless skate, and it was all that was available to me at the time. Love the stiffness, love the connectedness. But those first couple months were bad. That being said, I'm headed up to STL for Korn Camp in two weeks, and I'll get scanned for Bauer and CCM at Pure Hockey and get new skates.

7 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

So in your case with definite foot shape issues... is it really fair to say you’re breaking in a skate that long? Or is it more the skate breaking in your foot? 

That’s a genuine question too. You point out issues that could largely be the result of improper fitment and less about boot break in. It’s impossible to tell now, but do you feel the boot continued to mold your foot after the baking process? Or is it more a matter of you getting comfortable with the issues?

58 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

I currently have S170 skates, and I use them 6-7 times a week and have no complaints. If my feet are still growing, would you recommend going with S27, X2.7, or something a little higher. I don't want to buy a really high end skate that I will grow out of (even though I play a lot & high level). Also, why is the X2.7 $100 cheaper than S27?

To start, I’m certainly not going to recommend you go out of your budget. The Vapor line does fit differently than the Supreme, so I’d say try both lines in the same category on. For me, the Vapor just felt better. I don’t have any excessive foot issues like flat feet or super high arches... or even super wide feet. Vapor just gave me the feeling I was looking for. As for the price difference, I don’t have the side by side comps at the moment... but newer usually means some relative upgrades from previous generations, even if they’re different product lines. The important part is you get skates that feel good and work within your budget. 

I play a style that requires a deeper stance at times... so that locked in feeling at the heel with some forward flex on the tongue was super important. Not to say you can’t get the same out of Supreme, but for me the Vapor just worked. 

12 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

To start, I’m certainly not going to recommend you go out of your budget. The Vapor line does fit differently than the Supreme, so I’d say try both lines in the same category on. For me, the Vapor just felt better. I don’t have any excessive foot issues like flat feet or super high arches... or even super wide feet. Vapor just gave me the feeling I was looking for. As for the price difference, I don’t have the side by side comps at the moment... but newer usually means some relative upgrades from previous generations, even if they’re different product lines. The important part is you get skates that feel good and work within your budget. 

I play a style that requires a deeper stance at times... so that locked in feeling at the heel with some forward flex on the tongue was super important. Not to say you can’t get the same out of Supreme, but for me the Vapor just worked. 

I'm outgrowing my S170s and am looking into either 2.7 or S27. I'm thinking of trying vapors. The thing is, I live in Kazakhstan, so equipment takes about 3 weeks to get here. If I try on the vapors and they just don't feel right, can I return them? (Probably would order from GoalieMonkey).  Also, I have flatter feet.

4 hours ago, Peter36 said:

I´m not sure if there is really any difference between S170 and S27. I would continue to use Supreme skates if you have no complaints and can´t try skates on.

X2.7 and S27 should be in the same price point. Did you compare a Sr size to a Jr size?

13 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I second that. But only if you mean top end player skates. I find players skates are one step ahead if we are talking how you can mold the skates and each new model is better than last one was. Bauer and CCM had to do better skates after VH/True started to grow. It´s quite sad that some hockey shops don´t know how or really don´t want to bake the new skates correctly.

25 minutes ago, Korppi32 said:

I´m not sure if there is really any difference between S170 and S27. I would continue to use Supreme skates if you have no complaints and can´t try skates on.

X2.7 and S27 should be in the same price point. Did you compare a Sr size to a Jr size?

I second that. But only if you mean top end player skates. I find players skates are one step ahead if we are talking how you can mold the skates and each new model is better than last one was. Bauer and CCM had to do better skates after VH/True started to grow. It´s quite sad that some hockey shops don´t know how or really don´t want to bake the new skates correctly.

I have felt some discomfort in the S170s (feels kinda tight in the middle). 

On GoalieMonkey the X2.7 is $199 and S27 is $299

9 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

So in your case with definite foot shape issues... is it really fair to say you’re breaking in a skate that long? Or is it more the skate breaking in your foot? 

That’s a genuine question too. You point out issues that could largely be the result of improper fitment and less about boot break in. It’s impossible to tell now, but do you feel the boot continued to mold your foot after the baking process? Or is it more a matter of you getting comfortable with the issues?

In my particular case, Supreme would be the correct fit since I have a narrow foot. Nothing about choosing a 1x or 2x skate would have helped this issue other than the additional ankle bone padding that the 1s did not offer, but then I would have ended up with the wrong fit for the rest of the boot.In the case of my 1s skates, there was definitely a break in on the boot in the ankle as it became more flexible and bowed out over those few months. Not related to the ankle issue, it took a couple months before the ankle wrap would come completely around my skinny ankles and that came with time. The closure around the top 2-3 eyelets is now much closer to me ankle than the last time I baked them.

Just found out this tidbit for anyone interested:

If you order the Black Backing from the Pro Custom option sheet, it isn't just the nylon inner material that goes black. Your elastics, calf wrap, and knee wing including the AeroLite material will also be black. Well worth the $$ upgrade if you hate puck marks, post paint, and sweat stains like I do.

39B2B3FC-250D-4BA8-BCB4-E4C5B42D2967.jpeg

7 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

If you order the Black Backing from the Pro Custom option sheet, it isn't just the nylon inner material that goes black. Your elastics, calf wrap, and knee wing including the AeroLite material will also be black. Well worth the $$ upgrade if you hate puck marks, post paint, and sweat stains like I do.

Great look.  That's one area where you can really make a pad pop.  I would love to see Bauer's custom program develop where you get a full color spread for the back of the pad

On 5/29/2019 at 1:30 PM, BadAngle41 said:

Oh yeah... but just to be clear... the image shows on Catch sizes on top... while the lower portion is Blocker sizes... in which under the Senior there is actually XL, REG, and INT... which is different from straight INT size. In your case... a Senio INT would be what you're after... not the straight INT.

image.png.095ce896dfb2514877d37e0cb5f0cf0d.png

This is actually immensely helpful - I'm 7.5, so SR Int also.

18 hours ago, HP29 said:

This is actually immensely helpful - I'm 7.5, so SR Int also.

Worth noting is that on the custom order form it has data validation for dropdown selections and if you do select Intermediate... be sure to over communicate to your dealer than you're asking for the Senior Intermediate... not that actual Intermediate. You'd think most would have brushed up on the book to know that but it can be overlooked.

UPDATE: As I'm pretty sure the Full Custom is only available on the Senior line.. the palm sizing selections should be those circled. I'm still a little paranoid and will remain that way until my hands are in them... but when you're spending +$3,000 USD... paranoia isn't completely unwarranted.

21 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Just as a follow up to this... Below is the option taken from the MyBauer book. I went this route on my set not only for the aesthetics to better match my graphic... but for the stain reason as well.

MyBauer_Back_Cover_Options.thumb.jpg.c7ef1ec01d25bfd0d881e9081274bc41.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 10:37 AM, Peter36 said:

I find it weird that both the S29 and S27 skates are more expensive than the X2.7 and X2.9, but the 2X Pro Skate costs more than the 2S pro.

It all comes down to the materials that are used. The vapor boot is softer than the supreme, therefore the materials chosen reflect that, hence the different price tag ;)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

@heyclaytay and anyone else who has been looking...

Full My Bauer Custom Goal Gear catalog (in pictures) along with the Rev 2.0 of the Bauer Retail True Design Order Form...

MyBauer_Custom_Goal_Gear_20190718.pdf 37.59 MB · 2 downloads

VAPOR_SUPREME - RETAIL TRUE DESIGN r2.0.xls 449.5 kB · 2 downloads

Excellent, thank you very much.

Archived