New goalie stick - what do you recommend?

Big2

On 8/2/2018 at 2:43 PM, stackem30 said:

@MTH, that blank CCM stick offer is tempting. How did you manage to get one for $40? I'm not seeing anything that low on their page... I'm a bit nervous I'd get a curve I hate. I guess that's part of the gamble.

Sorry, missed this.

They had a black friday in July deal. They were $39.99. You don't get the hourly emails from them? Missing out (not really).

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine arrives today. I play tuesday nights in a pretty decent skate. Odds are it breaks tomorrow.

Worst part is that you only picked the paint (all natual, half white/ half natural, or all white) and the size. No idea what curve shows up. I went all natural. 

Pro shop at my rink is selling all their wood/foam cores for 40% now. They have a ton of Warrior sticks marked at $110. So they're $66 on sale.

Yeah, I'm not so sure how I feel about it. I use that CCM stick, I kinda like the blank look, and the price is right... so that's all good. But not being able to pick the curve isn't great, and I'm mostly concerned about the integrity of the sticks... are they factory seconds, or 'deficient' in any other aspect than the fact that they're not branded? I'd want to know that before I took the chance.

2 hours ago, stackem30 said:

Yeah, I'm not so sure how I feel about it. I use that CCM stick, I kinda like the blank look, and the price is right... so that's all good. But not being able to pick the curve isn't great, and I'm mostly concerned about the integrity of the sticks... are they factory seconds, or 'deficient' in any other aspect than the fact that they're not branded? I'd want to know that before I took the chance.

Seconds like that are almost always cosmetic. Very few times they would let out crummy product on purpose.

The other possibility is that these were a cancelled order for something like an SMU product or other thing and they did not get to the labelling stage before being cancelled. Most likely, the store knows as much as you do on the curve, etc.

I am so picky on curves that I wanted to know. What if I honest to goodness liked the curve and the mould was destroyed in the midst of all of this run? Sounds crazy, but things like that happen all of the time!

Eh, $40 isn't much. So took a chance.

Worst case, I'll make it a Pooper stick. Then I'll use it to flick the dog piles from my backyard over the fence into the woods with it.

The piles from the German Sheppard take some effort.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:55 PM, Big2 said:

So on Monday at his weekly goalie on ice training my son's CCM pro stick paddle broke after taking a shot! Extremely disappointed since it's less than 6 months old.

For the last 2 years he had been using the Sherwood T120 - which he loved but we can find anymore since they where sold to a retailer here in Canada. 

I would like to understand what would be the other options out there and especially your thoughts in regards to life expectancy I HATE spending money on sticks!

Not T120 but pretty close

https://www.prohockeylife.com/collections/senior-goalie-sticks/products/sher-wood-bpm-150-sr-goalie-stick-black-silver?variant=12121673007178

13 hours ago, goalie said:

Goalie thanks that is an awesome price the BPM 150 replaced the T 120 and per TGN a very good stick. Just ordered 2 of them at this price my got consider a third should last him all season?

The CCM unbranded stick from Goalie Monkey is defective stick. Thus the no logo and cheap price. Not worth trying to send it back. I guess I'll just try it for as long as it works.

Looks badass. The curve and weight is remarkable.

The defect? The width of the paddle. Looks like the one side was shaved off about 1/4". So rather than have that airplane wing type taper on both sides of the paddle - it's only on the one side while the other is square. Looked odd at first, thought maybe it was special order with the one side being squared off. Then I put it against another stick in the garage and I could see that the whole side was cut off. Upon closer inspection, the squared off side is basically a sandwich with the fiberglass outers and the foam inner now exposed.

Odds of it lasting more than one skate? 1000-1.

Damn you!

IMG_0852.thumb.JPG.23a62a450def14afd2e243f0d4d79d22.JPGIMG_0851.thumb.JPG.64381913fd770e506ca98b6740fd9640.JPG

I'll snap a better picture of the paddle side that's shaved off. Looking at the picture above, it's the entire paddle side on the right. You can see how the black reinforcing fibers are not equally spaced on the paddle (note the edge on the left vs. the right), that's about how much is missing from the paddle.

10 hours ago, Big2 said:

Goalie thanks that is an awesome price the BPM 150 replaced the T 120 and per TGN a very good stick. Just ordered 2 of them at this price my got consider a third should last him all season?

Glad to help.

14 minutes ago, MTH said:

The CCM unbranded stick from Goalie Monkey is defective stick. Thus the no logo and cheap price. Not worth trying to send it back. I guess I'll just try it for as long as it works.

The defect? The width of the paddle. Looks like the one side was shaved off about 1/4". So rather than have that airplane wing type taper on both sides of the paddle - it's only on the one side while the other is square. Looked odd at first, thought maybe it was special order with the one side being squared off. Then I put it against another stick in the garage and I could see that the whole side was cut off. Upon closer inspection, the squared off side is basically a sandwich with the fiberglass outers and the foam inner now exposed.

Damn you!

IMG_0852.thumb.JPG.23a62a450def14afd2e243f0d4d79d22.JPGIMG_0851.thumb.JPG.64381913fd770e506ca98b6740fd9640.JPG

I'll snap a better picture of the paddle side that's shaved off. Looking at the picture above, it's the entire paddle side on the right. You can see how the black reinforcing fibers are not equally spaced on the paddle (note the edge on the left vs. the right), that's about how much is missing from the paddle.

When I first saw the listing I assumed they were cosmetic defects only... ones obvious enough to have been caught by manufacturing prior to labeling being applied. Didn't think they would be like this though. interesting. Thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, MTH said:

Damn you!

That IS a Pooper stick.

Want some vinyl for the paddle?

5 hours ago, MTH said:

Interesting. I picked 3 of these sticks up several months ago. I noticed, even though they are marked with the same curve and same height, that some have taller shafts than the others and the paddle heights can be ever so slightly different. I also noticed some have crappier finishes on the shaft - some are a bit more rough and could use some sanding down. Didn't look closely enough to see the paddle width. I'll take a look when I get home, if I remember to...

I'm still on my first stick though, it feels good, seems quite durable and it was cheap!

EDIT: Jeez, just looked at the GM website, didn't realize they were selling for $75 a pop. Local GM has them for $39.99 each.

I paid $39 with the black friday in july sale.

I'll get a better picture when I get home today.

Honestly, these would be great if I could pick out from several - like in the store. Like buying 2x4s from Home Depot. Half look like bananas.

Looks like I have to play with this thing and see how it goes. 

1. GM return policy is that the buyer pays for return shipping no matter what.

2. The ad for this stick says: "Return or exchange requests for sticks with cosmetic blemishes, construction or curve will not be approved."

Looks like this falls under "construction".

I've spent $40 on a million things worse than this. Wait for the killer review!

10 minutes ago, MTH said:

I paid $39 with the black friday in july sale.

I'll get a better picture when I get home today.

Honestly, these would be great if I could pick out from several - like in the store. Like buying 2x4s from Home Depot. Half look like bananas.

I will gladly cut some vinyl for that bad boy!

5 minutes ago, MTH said:

Thanks for the offer. I want to give it a fair review. I don't want to have any predisposed opinions of this finely made stick. ha ha

Maybe the word "SUCKER" on the paddle would be perfect.

Let me know; I am still enjoying the power jewel mode of the Passmore; just Steve told me I can’t show the world any longer...

2 hours ago, MTH said:

Thanks for the offer. I want to give it a fair review. I don't want to have any predisposed opinions of this finely made stick. ha ha

Maybe the word "SUCKER" on the paddle would be perfect.

Make a Battram parody stick

"Buttram"

So here's some pictures of my stick. You can see how the one side of the paddle looks like it was mitered off. I only had a black stick to overlay it on - but you can see how much is missing. Thinking clear tape down that edge. Maybe epoxy it? F-it... let it die!

IMG_0858.thumb.JPG.d63d2a475a44dcfeabaf296fe2300b94.JPGIMG_0857.thumb.JPG.42e66c0c0237eea743fd02b6712ea328.JPGIMG_0860.thumb.JPG.90cf18b3be9f8646d117368366f5b31a.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

Archived