2019 Brian’s Line - GNetik IV

TheGoalNet

Ended up going and trying the Gen4s on a synthetic ice sheet earlier today. 

Pads

The pads are phenomenal! The torsional flex core seals the butterfly better than any other pad I’ve used...my biggest reason for wanting to move on from Optik was the fact that the pads would raise in the butterfly (I prefer a more aggressive boot taper which causes this).

I was worried that the strapping would feel too loose when I saw the calf wrap is all incorporated now, but I was able to feel more secure in it than the X strap. The air mesh they use on the side is super soft and really hugs your leg. 

Blocker

BIG fan of a stiffer sidewall vs the softer one on the Optik. Not sure how rebounds are supposed to be...I hear they come off a bit hotter? The Optik blocker has given me the softest rebound compared to Eflex 3 and V7 (which i didn’t like).

Biggest thing about the blocker is that the Boa placement is actually in a comfortable spot! And there is a piece to protect it from the stick. 

Glove

I HATED the G-Netik3 glove. Everything felt wrong about it. But the glove is totally different this year. I was a big fan of it! My hand didn’t properly fit in the glove because the finger stalls stopped my fat Italian sausage fingers. The glove wasn’t closing on my palm, it was at the base of my fingers. Not sure if a mod can be done about the finger stalls or if an INT palm would fix this?

Hope this helped someone that’s on the fence about the set. I forgot to snap a pic of me in the Gen4s unfortunately. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/21/2018 at 10:47 AM, estogoalie said:

I'm a little confused actually. I thought with OPTIK, that Brian's was merging the butterfly (SubZ) and hybrid (Gnetik) into one line (OPTIK) that could be tweaked/modified to suit both playing styles. (?) ...so then what's the need or point of a Gnetik4 line? And will they as well continue the SubZero line?

the optik line is replacing the sub line altogether so no sz4

they had the flx core or fly core to simplify the chasis option. on the genetik 3 and sz3 and everything before you rated each flex point from 1-5. they went back to that on genetik 4. Not sure why, since optik merges both, a need for the gen4. 

41 minutes ago, Max27 said:

the optik line is replacing the sub line altogether so no sz4

they had the flx core or fly core to simplify the chasis option. on the genetik 3 and sz3 and everything before you rated each flex point from 1-5. they went back to that on genetik 4. Not sure why, since optik merges both, a need for the gen4. 

Difference between Optik and Gentik4 is Torsional Flex and new strapping. Check out the compare tool on goailiesonly.com when you look at leg pads.

image.thumb.png.01a524e73ddf3313dd9c1329aa6fc664.png

11 minutes ago, Max27 said:

and the genetik 4 has internal knee rolls i think

Right... my only point was that there is is a quasi need for Genetik4... it is answering the gap in their lineup for those who want a firm faced pad with up to date strapping but the torsional flex of a Heritage. Essentially the same question that the GoalieMonkey CCM 599 powered by Koho series is answering as well. 

53 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Right... my only point was that there is is a quasi need for Genetik4... it is answering the gap in their lineup for those who want a firm faced pad with up to date strapping but the torsional flex of a Heritage. Essentially the same question that the GoalieMonkey CCM 599 powered by Koho series is answering as well. 

yea i see that

54 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

also why is there so much more thigh flex on the fly than the flx?

I played around with the Gen-4 stuff today. Pads were nice, nothing really special or new I found. The snap and feel of that trapper was very nice but the overall shape/angle of it just wasn't for me. Blocker is still a blocker.

Anyway the stuff is okay. Don't hate it but don't love it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2018 at 2:29 AM, ULTIMA said:

I played around with the Gen-4 stuff today. Pads were nice, nothing really special or new I found. The snap and feel of that trapper was very nice but the overall shape/angle of it just wasn't for me. Blocker is still a blocker.

I don't think I could ever fall in "love" with a piece of equipment by just playing around with them off a shelf.

On 11/2/2018 at 1:29 AM, ULTIMA said:

I like the new sidewall on the blocker

38 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I don't know man, most of my purchases have been based off of a "love" type feeling when trying it on in store. I'm either excited by it, or just meh.

I feel you, but that was my exact feeling when the CCM Eflex3s came out. Pads felt perfect on my legs and was a huge fan of their 600 break with D30 and the new shape, but when I used them on ice they were terrible for me. 

42 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I don't know man, most of my purchases have been based off of a "love" type feeling when trying it on in store. I'm either excited by it, or just meh.

That's one of the problems I am having with these new Brian's pads. I see them and absolutely love them, but haven't a clue how they'll work for me. They light me up more than most though!

2 minutes ago, aircanuck said:

That's one of the problems I am having with these new Brian's pads. I see them and absolutely love them, but haven't a clue how they'll work for me. They light me up more than most though!

Same here. I think Brian's is the only company who's pads I have never owned but every time I see them I really do like how they look. For some reason they just look to be higher quality than the others even if all pro level pads are on the same level. My biggest concern with ever getting a set though is every time I've had one of their gloves on my hand it just didn't feel right.

There's clearly a void to be filled. With the last car I purchased, the dealer dropped a demonstrator off at my house and told me to keep it until I felt comfortable enough buying it. It ended up being my most guilt and hassle free car purchase for that reason.

When I retire from airplane driving, I am going to become an equipment rep who hustles around my territory offering demo gear to goalies in need. 

On 11/28/2018 at 5:29 PM, Aquilzz said:

I feel you, but that was my exact feeling when the CCM Eflex3s came out. Pads felt perfect on my legs and was a huge fan of their 600 break with D30 and the new shape, but when I used them on ice they were terrible for me. 

I get ya. My R/GT C/A was an absolute win for me in store. And while I do think it's a good piece of equipment, it's not nearly as amazing as I had pinned it when I had it on in store.

On 11/28/2018 at 5:37 PM, wox33 said:

Same here. I think Brian's is the only company who's pads I have never owned but every time I see them I really do like how they look. For some reason they just look to be higher quality than the others even if all pro level pads are on the same level. My biggest concern with ever getting a set though is every time I've had one of their gloves on my hand it just didn't feel right.

You know you don't need to get the gloves with the set right? ;)

I'm the same way, their leg pads look great, just not a fan of their gloves.

19 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

I don't think I could ever fall in "love" with a piece of equipment by just playing around with them off a shelf.

Gear (to me) has to feel good right off the shelf. I can't just spend X amount of dollars on something and it's just okay in hopes that I'm gonna like it. I'm not a gambling man like that with gear anymore.

20 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You know you don't need to get the gloves with the set right? ;)

I'm the same way, their leg pads look great, just not a fan of their gloves.

Lol, yeah I know. I don't need to have everything match 100% but I do like to have it all be the same brand. I'm taking the day off tomorrow to go to Minneapolis and try some stuff on so hopefully I will get my hands on the G Netik 4 glove and I can see if they finally have one I can get comfortable with.

• 3 months later...

Archived