Thoughts - New skates For My Son

Big2

I can speak only from Bauer and I am a sockless guy too, so that might be different too. 

My One100s had clarino. My 1S and 2S have the moisture wicking cloth. I thought I would hate the liner because the clarino molded to my feel like an old baseball glove. I was wrong. I love the moisture wicking lining!!! 

So I took my son to see the VH 2 piece and Bauer Reactor skates today. I have to say that the VH holder looked cheaper than the last time I saw it and more importantly was told that I could not buy the boot only, another point that was brought up was due to my son's foot size 11.5/12 depending on foot the store would not recommend the VH.

i was told that they have issues with large feet skate coming apart in the region that wraps the middle of the feet down near the foot bottom - has anyone heard of this? I thought that the clerk was talking about an esthetic problem but he referenced a more serious one than esthetics?

Any way - if I cannot get the boot only the VH is out!

Took a good look at both Bauer models vs my son's current Reactor 9000 and as recommended by TGN the Vapor boot looked similar in both height and lace / boot angle.. I also asked about getting a custom pair it's an extra $300 but based on some of the options it would probably be the way to go. I have to say that esthtically the Bauer skates are beautiful!

QUESTION - I have heard that the first generation of 1s had some quality issues what to we know about the Vapor and do you think the custom product would be a better product?

So a pair of Bauer 2s custom will be ordered for my son this week - if you get a chance to try their scanning device and the results it will be an eye opener!

some of my son's specs

size - 9.75

width - forgot very narrow

ankle size - this was an eye opener (huge ankles)

lenght/distance from the heel to the front where your ankle breaks - an eye opener also a region that will be greatly modified

distance from bottom of foot to top - eye opener region to be modified 

foot arch normal

i was under the impression that the skate he would end up in would be a Vapor model, but the scanner came back with the 2S

Before trying the scanner my son tried both of the retail 2s and Vapor models and he liked better the 2S so I hope this confirms what the scanner spat out.

i really hope that all the hype around custom skates lives up to the extra cost I will try to get you all some feedback in about 4 weeks this is really an exiting purchase. 

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to Thoughts - New skates For My Son

Archived