When to Make the Investment in Pro Gear

Max27

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I call tchotchskys like that “dust collectors”!!!! 

At least my wife did not buy “Precious Moments”.. 

No, not those stupid things.  Though she does have some from gifts from her mom growing up.  She's into picture frames and other interior pictures/wall decor/bullshit.  Thankfully she orders a bunch from Amazon and returns a lot of it if she doesn't like how it looks.

14 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

No, not those stupid things.  Though she does have some from gifts from her mom growing up.  She's into picture frames and other interior pictures/wall decor/bullshit.  Thankfully she orders a bunch from Amazon and returns a lot of it if she doesn't like how it looks.

Very fortunate.

My wife has350 plus pair of shoes. She tries to steal my closet space. THAT is her REAL weakness...

5 hours ago, Max27 said:

im 15, and i hit my growth spurt already. Im like 6´2 165-75 but i think its safe to say im done with growth. 

I can pay for the gear, I am getting a job soon, and I get a lot of money for Christmas and Birthday from grandparents which helps a lot. 

as far as outgrowing it, i use a 34 + 1 and im gonna go up to a Large in 1x once the 2x line comes out, and the 1x line goes on clearance prices.

ive been using 760s and i find they have awful seal, and are too flexible for me, so im gonna go to a more rigid, but still flexible pad in the vapors

I'm replying for 2 reasons...

1. To keep this thread listed as ?HOT?
  2. To let you know @Max27 that after I read the first line of you post above saying "im 15, and i hit my growth spurt already. Im like 6'2 165-175..." I stopped reading. What I would have given to get to 6'2" at any point in my life, let alone 15. I'm still waiting on my growth spurt and I'm turning 40 this year.

That said, and likely this advice has been dolled out already, but if you're done growing and you have the cheddar to spend on Pro Gear, get after it. But also keep in mind that getting good senior level pads and spending the rest of that money on private coaching, camps, pilates classes, yoga classes, eye hand coaching... those would better serve you to having someone else pay for your Pro Gear later on in life. (I'm also saying that with no idea what sort of training you do outside of your team(s) already.)

4 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

You'll always be my boo

Yea lol, that'll change, trust me.

This.  You wanna be happy in life then stay single.  You could also try being a gay with another goalie.

lmao ill just stay single lol

3 hours ago, Xdave90x said:

Honestly for me i'd go with pro level gear for the glove the mask and the C/A if it weren't that i had a super sweet deal on some pro return pads i'd still be using my Larceny L9 and for the glove it's just because i don't want to feel stigners

Great call on a pro mask 

10 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I'm replying for 2 reasons...

1. To keep this thread listed as ?HOT?
  2. To let you know @Max27 that after I read the first line of you post above saying "im 15, and i hit my growth spurt already. Im like 6'2 165-175..." I stopped reading. What I would have given to get to 6'2" at any point in my life, let alone 15. I'm still waiting on my growth spurt and I'm turning 40 this year.

That said, and likely this advice has been dolled out already, but if you're done growing and you have the cheddar to spend on Pro Gear, get after it. But also keep in mind that getting good senior level pads and spending the rest of that money on private coaching, camps, pilates classes, yoga classes, eye hand coaching... those would better serve you to having someone else pay for your Pro Gear later on in life. (I'm also saying that with no idea what sort of training you do outside of your team(s) already.)

the training that i do are

at the league im joining its free to use their ice rink as public skating training, etc when you play their which ill be using to work on my edges and stuff, only issue is they dont let you use gear other than skates and they have public training that like on a good night, 10 people will show up to. we do sliding work, skating training, post work, and what not. I also went this summer to Matt Martins summer camp, as it is for ages like 7-14 and i was allowed to squeak in, and they had Keith Kinkaid, and a bunch of other goalie coaches do work with us for 7 hours a day for 4 days earlier last month, as well as conditioning. 

this part might sound a bit stupid but i watched a video with trav4oilers and Guy St. Vincent from Topshelf goaltending and i do some of the movement stuff he had him work on bc as im in ny it would be a pain to go to where he is

11 minutes ago, Max27 said:

the training that i do are

at the league im joining its free to use their ice rink as public skating training, etc when you play their which ill be using to work on my edges and stuff, only issue is they dont let you use gear other than skates and they have public training that like on a good night, 10 people will show up to. we do sliding work, skating training, post work, and what not. I also went this summer to Matt Martins summer camp, as it is for ages like 7-14 and i was allowed to squeak in, and they had Keith Kinkaid, and a bunch of other goalie coaches do work with us for 7 hours a day for 4 days earlier last month, as well as conditioning. 

this part might sound a bit stupid but i watched a video with trav4oilers and Guy St. Vincent from Topshelf goaltending and i do some of the movement stuff he had him work on bc as im in ny it would be a pain to go to where he is

Camp sounds great! What you mentioned about videos isn't stupid at all. Like I said, I'm turning 40 and I still try and keep up with whatever is going on in the world of goalie training and videos are one of the best knowledge shares out there. Instagram is my choice for quick videos too... I follow @goalicoaches, @thegoalieguild, @elkingoalie, @eliwilson, @finngoalie_training, @3egoaltending, @paramounthockey, @goalietraining, @handeyecoaches. If I really like something, I'll just tag it and save it to my collection for easy reference in the palm of my hand. Of course seeing what works for one person may not work for you, but sometimes seeing a movement slowed down helps, or even just seeing some great pros working on their game is fun.

Just now, BadAngle41 said:

Camp sounds great! What you mentioned about videos isn't stupid at all. Like I said, I'm turning 40 and I still try and keep up with whatever is going on in the world of goalie training and videos are one of the best knowledge shares out there. Instagram is my choice for quick videos too... I follow @goalicoaches, @thegoalieguild, @elkingoalie, @eliwilson, @finngoalie_training, @3egoaltending, @paramounthockey, @goalietraining, @handeyecoaches. If I really like something, I'll just tag it and save it to my collection for easy reference in the palm of my hand. Of course seeing what works for one person may not work for you, but sometimes seeing a movement slowed down helps, or even just seeing some great pros working on their game is fun.

yeah i do the same, i follow a lot of coaches like what you said

20 hours ago, ruckus007 said:

TBH I've tried a bunch of gear in the last 4ish years of goaltending, and found nothing really lasts more than 3-4 seasons before major breakdown. This includes the chesties. Theyr eally don't make them the same way anymore. I feel that to some degree, "lighter" also meant "less quality materials" for most manufacturers. That or the general engineering for wear and tear just were not well thought out. I just play upper intermediate level hockey, so it's kind of disconcerting that I saw the breakdown with gear at the rate it did. 

Pro gear doesn´t mean anymore "best durability and thickest materials". It means best performance + lightest weight (maybe durability) and possibility make a some kind of custom gear.  But you may still find a brand new older stock pro pads for 699$ if durability is the most important thing. 

1 hour ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Dude, I don't think you stopped growing...

It's your call, buy the gear and be prepared to buy it again in 3-4 years time. 

i was going to go to a Large in 1x pads, which is like a 35+1, bigger than my 34 + 1 ccm pads, so i can grow into them, say i get drastically taller, which i doubt tbh.

i can see myself growing another inch or two, maybe finishing growing at like 6´3-4. unless i just stay at 6´2

Archived