In Goal Mag: NHL Prepared For Feedback As Goalies Get Smaller Chest Protectors

SaveByRichter35

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Which brings me to how I feel about Bettman: he hates goalies and wants to hurt them and have them afraid of the puck to increase scoring, PERIOD.

I have little love for Bettman, but that's pure emotional conjecture, a tin foil response. There's no evidence for any of that other than 'wants to increase scoring', something they've never been shy about stating. 

I honestly don't know what everyone's crying about. Look at Raanta. Look at Price's C/A in the InGoalMag picture. They look plenty big. They look plenty protected. So we have nothing to worry about. Will it make a big difference? Quite possibly not. But nobody here lost time and money doing R&D, so what is there to really complain about? Really, this is a whole lot of whining and outrage over nothing.

28 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I have little love for Bettman, but that's pure emotional conjecture, a tin foil response. There's no evidence for any of that other than 'wants to increase scoring', something they've never been shy about stating. 

I honestly don't know what everyone's crying about. Look at Raanta. Look at Price's C/A in the InGoalMag picture. They look plenty big. They look plenty protected. So we have nothing to worry about. Will it make a big difference? Quite possibly not. But nobody here lost time and money doing R&D, so what is there to really complain about? Really, this is a whole lot of whining and outrage over nothing.

Exxxxxxxxxactlyyyyyy.  C/A's have gotten ridiculous over the past few years.  Are they as bad as those Garth Snow units from back when?  No, probably not.  Up until now shoulder floaters had plenty of room for reduction.  

11 hours ago, Puckducker said:

I've always been curious why the wide paddle/blade of the goalie stick is rarely focused on by the hordes looking to trim equipment down. It's one of the few pieces of equipment that has no real element of protection that might deter any inclinations to cut it down. It's size and shape is only there to give goalies an advantage in stopping pucks. 

So why (outside of Corey Hircsh) has there not been much call to trim down paddle and blade size? Seems like a no brainer if your intention is to make goalie's jobs more difficult without sacrificing protection. 

Pretty sure most of it is due to how iconic the goalie paddle is. Ever see a goalie play with a player stick? Notice just how god damn out of place it looks?

Nothing gear wise even remotely comes close to defining the position like the stick.

47 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Bingo.

I think a lot of the reactions are placeholders to people's imaginations running rampant when the C/A reduction was originally announced. Left over emotions for what they assumed would be a gutting of the position.

These C/A's are finnnneeee, hell, I'm slightly dissapointed I bought a new C/A this year. I really like the look of these new ones.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

These C/A's are finnnneeee, hell, I'm slightly dissapointed I bought a new C/A this year. I really like the look of these new ones.

I've been in the market for a new C/A while, and was close to buying one... but when I heard this was happening, I decided another year of stingers and bruises was worth the wait. Too bad they're going to be $$$. I am rather cheap when it comes to C/A's, important as they are.

I never liked big, bulky shoulder floaters. They felt cheap to me, and I mostly didn't like how they make goalies look like Transformers. I actually went to town on my old/current Koho chest pad and sewed them down, so they didn't pop up as much. Though now the elastic is so warped that they just sag and flop around...

For a little side story that is hardly related, my team got eliminated in our playoff game last night. We play in a pretty good non-checking league, and my teammates (most are 30-35) are resolute about not wearing shoulders pads. Most of the league is, to be honest — I guess it's a mix between some cool-guy macho stuff and a more comfortable, airy way to skate around. I don't know, I'm fairly clueless about player gear 'culture'.

Anyway, we went down 4-1 in an unimpressive loss, and there was some chippy stuff towards the end of the game. After one skirmish in front of my net, my teammate and an opposing player were sent to the box, and my teammate said "Nice shoulder pads, bitch." One of the refs started cracking up, it was pretty funny. 

22 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I've been in the market for a new C/A while, and was close to buying one... but when I heard this was happening, I decided another year of stingers and bruises was worth the wait. Too bad they're going to be $$$. I am rather cheap when it comes to C/A's, important as they are.

Smart move. Too bad I'm too impatient.

I'm in the same boat as well. So far I'm a big fan of the Warrior RGT CA, but it does feel a tad too large in shoulders. Nothing as bad as the ol' V5 or CCM Premier or Brians units though.

14 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

For a little side story that is hardly related, my team got eliminated in our playoff game last night. We play in a pretty good non-checking league, and my teammates (most are 30-35) are resolute about not wearing shoulders pads. Most of the league is, to be honest — I guess it's a mix between some cool-guy macho stuff and a more comfortable, airy way to skate around. I don't know, I'm fairly clueless about player gear 'culture'.

Anyway, we went down 4-1 in an unimpressive loss, and there was some chippy stuff towards the end of the game. After one skirmish in front of my net, my teammate and an opposing player were sent to the box, and my teammate said "Nice shoulder pads, bitch." One of the refs started cracking up, it was pretty funny. 

That's a first. :giggle:

I've never once heard that, but the league I play in lets some minor hitting go in the upper tiers. No one is complaining about shoulder pads there. Just the typical birdcage comments for caged up tough guys.

Though, currently playing in a very strict no hitting league and they call rub outs on the boards, as in an excellent defensive play, as body checking with a good 2 minute penalty attached. Really makes me appreciate the league I regularly play in. Sure, we have a few more loony bins and fights than most leagues, but I really prefer that atmosphere over the regulated drop in hockey type of vibe. 

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

I never liked big, bulky shoulder floaters. They felt cheap to me, and I mostly didn't like how they make goalies look like Transformers. I actually went to town on my old/current Koho chest pad and sewed them down, so they didn't pop up as much. Though now the elastic is so warped that they just sag and flop around...

I'm the same way.  I had a Brown 1800 which was non NHL regulated(prior to this most recent iteration) and a few years ago I bought a 2200 since it was NHL regulated(again, prior to this one) thinking it would be smaller than the 1800 I was currently using at the time.  Wrong.  It appears much bigger.  The bodies are about the same size but the floaters are all bigger.  I actually just sent an email to Brown asking for pictures of their newly approved c/a.  I'll probably order at least some shoulder floaters to replace the ones I have.

59 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

My league doesn't allow checking but refs never call good defensive contact plays.  Everyone on my team wears some kind of upper body protection.  Most wear those very small Sher Wood pads that don't really do much.  A few have the latest and greatest.  

2 hours ago, stackem30 said:

We play in a pretty good non-checking league, and my teammates (most are 30-35) are resolute about not wearing shoulders pads.

They don't wear shoulder pads?? Wow. I've seen some old-timers wear some very lightly padded stuff, but I never heard of or saw anyone not wearing any upper-body protection of some kind. Even in a no-check league, you'll still take a spill, block a shot, etc... Hard to wrap my head around that. Either they are like figure skaters out there with little to no contact, or they are some tough as nails sonsofbitches...

9 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

They don't wear shoulder pads?? Wow. I've seen some old-timers wear some very lightly padded stuff, but I never heard of or saw anyone not wearing any upper-body protection of some kind. Even in a no-check league, you'll still take a spill, block a shot, etc... Hard to wrap my head around that. Either they are like figure skaters out there with little to no contact, or they are some tough as nails sonsofbitches...

It's pretty common here. Elbow pads are always worn, but chest protectors are kind of auxiliary.

1 hour ago, estogoalie said:

Correct — I mean, I don't want to give my teammates tooo much credit, but I guess if I had to choose between figure skaters and tough sonsofbitches, I'll go with the latter. There's still plenty of bumping and shoving. Like I said, it's kind of a macho thing as far as I can tell... but to their credit, they don't make a big deal of it. I just thought the "nice shoulder pads" jab was funny.

20 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'm the same way.  I had a Brown 1800 which was non NHL regulated(prior to this most recent iteration) and a few years ago I bought a 2200 since it was NHL regulated(again, prior to this one) thinking it would be smaller than the 1800 I was currently using at the time.  Wrong.  It appears much bigger.  The bodies are about the same size but the floaters are all bigger.  I actually just sent an email to Brown asking for pictures of their newly approved c/a.  I'll probably order at least some shoulder floaters to replace the ones I have.

My league doesn't allow checking but refs never call good defensive contact plays.  Everyone on my team wears some kind of upper body protection.  Most wear those very small Sher Wood pads that don't really do much.  A few have the latest and greatest.  

I know they mentioned on In Goal magazine that Samsonov is using an new NHL spec c/a from Brown.

Here’s a picture of Samsonov from Dave art on Instagram.

2C5CF5B1-5520-4D02-BBC1-96DA2EF568B1.png

17 hours ago, RichMan said:

You want minimal, this is minimal...I had one too and aside from poor rib protection, it was great! It was also worn by M-A Fleury, Ed Belfour, Cristobal Huet and others.

image.png.981fbece347e7207c25c7e7fddd21250.png

I'm still wearing a H5 actually :) I had a couple in storage, I'm 2 seasons into my last one. Should be good at least another 2-3 seasons. Then I got a Bauer Reactor 9000 lined up next.

On the H5, I love the arms/shoulders, just the chest needs some extra beefing up. Sometimes if I get hit close range with a very hard shot on the body, I'll get the wind knocked out of me for a second. The Bauer has GREAT chest coverage, I don't feel a thing, but the shoulders stick up a bit too much and interfere with my helmet a little, which is a little annoying, and the arms are mobile, but a little skinnier than the H5, and I let one in between my arm/body sometimes.

37 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

I'm still wearing a H5 actually :) I had a couple in storage, I'm 2 seasons into my last one. Should be good at least another 2-3 seasons. Then I got a Bauer Reactor 9000 lined up next.

On the H5, I love the arms/shoulders, just the chest needs some extra beefing up. Sometimes if I get hit close range with a very hard shot on the body, I'll get the wind knocked out of me for a second. The Bauer has GREAT chest coverage, I don't feel a thing, but the shoulders stick up a bit too much and interfere with my helmet a little, which is a little annoying, and the arms are mobile, but a little skinnier than the H5, and I let one in between my arm/body sometimes.

Combining the two of these would be a fun project, haha! That old H5 looks like a great c/a. 

On 8/22/2018 at 12:30 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

That’s surprising. I have a 2100 I got new in 2006. I thought that would be the biggest of the Brown offerings considering the broad equipment reductions from the 2004-2005 lockout would require C/As to be more streamlined. I downsized to a Vaughn 8800 Epic in 2010 to be more mobile and streamlined. This summer I went back to the Brown 2100 and adjusted fairly quickly to its larger size. However some of the young bucks in the opposite net do look rather large in their C/As which are likely Bauer/CCM. At the moment I’m happy in my now very illegal Brown 2100. ?

On 8/23/2018 at 9:13 AM, Bell31 said:

I know they mentioned on In Goal magazine that Samsonov is using an new NHL spec c/a from Brown.

Here’s a picture of Samsonov from Dave art on Instagram.

2C5CF5B1-5520-4D02-BBC1-96DA2EF568B1.png

After seeing this one and Price's, this gear shrinkage looks like another exercise in futility by the NHL. That's what mine looks like now almost.

I'm sure this will mean some more room top shelf or between the arms, but it's not like goalies won't have already learned how to seal the new holes. 

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:44 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

That’s surprising. I have a 2100 I got new in 2006. I thought that would be the biggest of the Brown offerings considering the broad equipment reductions from the 2004-2005 lockout would require C/As to be more streamlined. I downsized to a Vaughn 8800 Epic in 2010 to be more mobile and streamlined. This summer I went back to the Brown 2100 and adjusted fairly quickly to its larger size. However some of the young bucks in the opposite net do look rather large in their C/As which are likely Bauer/CCM. At the moment I’m happy in my now very illegal Brown 2100. ?

I still wear my JB 553 Elite from mid 90s. I have broad shoulders/chest and side from the elbow floaters the CA I've seen in my league seem more wider and the shoulders taller than my very illegal JB. The shoulders on my old CA seems more trim and taper. 

44 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

This is a chest protector circa 2011. This looks identical to the "new, legal spec" c/a.

The question is what the hell happened to c/a to get that "big"?

940-visentin-110102-8col.jpg

A few C/A's got larger in the shoulders (Premier, SZ, V5).

But, overall, that still looks about the same as the majority of C/A's that were around prior to the shrinkage.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Here's a glimpse of what discussions were in '98. I'm guessing it was the same talk this time around, just a few different faces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5CPXL8feiQ

The goalies are now larger humans and the equipment being worn is lighter and more protective. The size of the equipment today, however, is a smaller percentage of the overall dimensions of the goaltender. The late 90s and early aughts ushered in some absurdly large gloves, blockers and jerseys. The leg pads, while wider, were generally not used to as great of an effect as today - Technique drove those design changes. C/As could go either way, I suppose. Some guys used bulky C/As back then, but they were the exception. The design of C/As today seems largely driven by the need for superior upper body protection. However, there have been notable exceptions. Pants seemed to have followed the same path as C/As.

Did Patrick Roy ever have a discussion with another human that didn't result in him getting his blood up? And if the NHL was that concerned about getting scoring up, they should have spent money on cloning Glenn Healy forcing every team to start their Healy in at least 50 games a season.

im all for smaller chest protectors, 

you see some of these guys 6'2 and 150lbs bean poles they come out like the stay puft marshmallow man, its unbelievable. 

i hate the bulk and restriction of modern chest protectors, now granted i play inline, high level mid with guys who can rip it so i dont need nhl protection, but i also dont need all that bulk, 

all that will happen is the goalies will yet again, adapt, get quicker and more mobile

heres a pic of me in my custom made diy franken mckenny epic lol im 220lbs and 5'10 for ref and i rarely get tagged anywhere (and thats not becasue the pucks passing me by,,,,)

31281375_10157365669550558_8534344302006894592_n.jpg

Archived