In Goal Mag: NHL Prepared For Feedback As Goalies Get Smaller Chest Protectors

SaveByRichter35

1 hour ago, cuprajake said:

im all for smaller chest protectors, 

you see some of these guys 6'2 and 150lbs bean poles they come out like the stay puft marshmallow man, its unbelievable. 

i hate the bulk and restriction of modern chest protectors, now granted i play inline, high level mid with guys who can rip it so i dont need nhl protection, but i also dont need all that bulk, 

all that will happen is the goalies will yet again, adapt, get quicker and more mobile

heres a pic of me in my custom made diy franken mckenny epic lol im 220lbs and 5'10 for ref and i rarely get tagged anywhere (and thats not becasue the pucks passing me by,,,,)

31281375_10157365669550558_8534344302006894592_n.jpg

You used the 890 as your base if I recall, right Jake?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cuprajake said:

im all for smaller chest protectors, 

you see some of these guys 6'2 and 150lbs bean poles they come out like the stay puft marshmallow man, its unbelievable. 

i hate the bulk and restriction of modern chest protectors, now granted i play inline, high level mid with guys who can rip it so i dont need nhl protection, but i also dont need all that bulk, 

all that will happen is the goalies will yet again, adapt, get quicker and more mobile

heres a pic of me in my custom made diy franken mckenny epic lol im 220lbs and 5'10 for ref and i rarely get tagged anywhere (and thats not becasue the pucks passing me by,,,,)

31281375_10157365669550558_8534344302006894592_n.jpg

I 100% agree on the mobility. I'm 5'10" 155lbs and I actually like the NHL spec pants in particular. I have a pair of HPG 13A and they're so much more comfortable and mobile than my previous V5s. Mobility (or lack there of) was the main reason I ditched my CCM Premier C/A for a Passau. While the protection in the Passau is superior I can't say that the CCM was ever an issue in that regard... just a complete lack of mobility in the floaters and arms. I have trouble understanding why guys seem to get stingers on the arms and belly as often as they do. I face decent shooters pretty regularly and it just doesn't happen. The additional mobility has made me feel like I'm 30 again. 

Here's a pic of me in 2006-2007 with Richard Sévigny, helped with the coaching. Here (then) I was wearing some 6600 Tackla Keeper pants. If the league wanted something to use as a guideline, these pants were it. Sorry for the fuzzy pics, the photographer was using poor equipment.

Richard Sevigny goalie camp 007 (Small)_edited.jpg

Richard Sevigny goalie camp 008 (Small)_edited.jpg

hi,

i actually picked up a flite unit, but i think there made by the same company, 

one hell of a memory though haha

i got the original 855lite weight if soulpatch iirc

then i got another mckenny and finally the flite, 

they make really good chest protectors, ive tried loads and loads and always gone back due to the protection and lack of bulk

i nearly switced to a vaughn valt pro though, nearly haha

i have a v5 sat here too, problem is im short fat and stumpy lol so need med arms on a large body

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Max27 said:

yet another desperate attempt by the NHL to increase scoring, the solution to a problem that doesn't exist...

Sad, but true, Max! 

Boris Bettman wants to hurt goalies and turn this great game of hockey into something ultimately unrecogniseable.

Damn you, Boris Bettman!!! 

Haha, as funny as that is, I can't see that being seriously true.  I don't see their goal being more injured goalies. That's absurd.

Bettman's main concern is growing the game and getting more eyes on TVs, more bodies in hockey gear, more ticket sales and merchandise sales at arenas, and more sponsors to justify all of that. 

Unfortunately,  for us, low scoring games are perceived as boring/a deterrent to newcomers by the NHL and one strategy,  however failed it might be, to increase scoring is goalie gear reduction. 

10 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Haha, as funny as that is, I can't see that being seriously true.  I don't see their goal being more injured goalies. That's absurd.

Bettman's main concern is growing the game and getting more eyes on TVs, more bodies in hockey gear, more ticket sales and merchandise sales at arenas, and more sponsors to justify all of that. 

Unfortunately,  for us, low scoring games are perceived as boring/a deterrent to newcomers by the NHL and one strategy,  however failed it might be, to increase scoring is goalie gear reduction. 

I say it with a tongue in the cheek, but unfortunately, I think goalies will ultimately be afraid of the puck if they go too much further with reducing the equipment...

They just need to let the game grow organically; soccer is the world’s LOWEST scoring sport and happens to be the MOST POPULAR. This is why I think Boris Bettman is a freaking IDIOT!!!!

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

Sad, but true, Max! 

Boris Bettman wants to hurt goalies and turn this great game of hockey into something ultimately unrecogniseable.

Damn you, Boris Bettman!!! 

Lmao ¨Boris Bettman¨ makes me crack up every time i see u write it.  never gets old lol

According to TheHockeyGuy, they had an anonomous vote with some nhl goalies of if they would rather make the nets bigger, or shrink their equipment sizing again and they clearly opted for the shrunken gear 

14 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I challenge your statement abou Hockey being the least accessible sport on the planet. I believe Jai alai puts that award in its mantel annually. 

Ha, whoa. I've never seen jai alai before  

What a strange game.

Let's not confuse accessibility with desirability :)

53 minutes ago, Max27 said:

Lmao ¨Boris Bettman¨ makes me crack up every time i see u write it.  never gets old lol

According to TheHockeyGuy, they had an anonomous vote with some nhl goalies of if they would rather make the nets bigger, or shrink their equipment sizing again and they clearly opted for the shrunken gear 

I am actually okay with shrinking IF the shrinkage does not result in injury.

I have heard many stories of how many bruises one got from the old chesties, as I knew quite a few minor league goalies with their snap-on arm pieces for their old Cooper chesties and their felt D&R units. They could wear a regular sweater with their chesties. Each and every one of them said when I told them that I wanted to try goal as an early adult “you’ll never be used to getting pelted with frozen pucks because you did not start off getting pelted as a kid!” To a degree, they were most likely not exaggerating much! 

I would not mind being more mobile and athletic, as long as it is not at the expense if protection; I have adopted the “Drunken Panda” (thanks @estogoalie) method, which is blocking style and does NOT require mobile chesties! Floppy McFloppington is a bit too active for this old rabbit!!!

A little reminder of why his name is Boris Bettman:

D691C981-1C24-4E40-9F65-BEC72167EC78.png

D3E9D1C9-175E-4585-A1B2-F110821DA973.jpeg

2 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I am actually okay with shrinking IF the shrinkage does not result in injury.

I have heard many stories of how many bruises one got from the old chesties, as I knew quite a few minor league goalies with their snap-on arm pieces for their old Cooper chesties and their felt D&R units. They could wear a regular sweater with their chesties. Each and every one of them said when I told them that I wanted to try goal as an early adult “you’ll never be used to getting pelted with frozen pucks because you did not start off getting pelted as a kid!” To a degree, they were most likely not exaggerating much! 

I would not mind being more mobile and athletic, as long as it is not at the expense if protection; I have adopted the “Drunken Panda” (thanks @estogoalie) method, which is blocking style and does NOT require mobile chesties! Floppy McFloppington is a bit too active for this old rabbit!!!

A little reminder of why his name is Boris Bettman:

D691C981-1C24-4E40-9F65-BEC72167EC78.png

D3E9D1C9-175E-4585-A1B2-F110821DA973.jpeg

yea, theyre shooting themselves in the foot doing it bc the goalie stats will just go up again like they did last time they did this shit

2 minutes ago, Max27 said:

yea, theyre shooting themselves in the foot doing it bc the goalie stats will just go up again like they did last time they did this shit

I bet the net will be next: a mere 6” taller would most likely result in more goals off the bat. Would it ruin the game? Possibly. But Boris Badenov, er, um Bettman was never too smart in outsmarting Moose and Squirrel, either. 

1 minute ago, bunnyman666 said:

I bet the net will be next: a mere 6” taller would most likely result in more goals off the bat. Would it ruin the game? Possibly. But Boris Badenov, er, um Bettman was never too smart in outsmarting Moose and Squirrel, either. 

yeah, that little douche shouldve stayed screwing up the NBA

Archived