Show off your Gear (Note: Any images posted here can be posted on @TheGoalNet Instagram)

Westcoast Tender

19 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

Agreed.  It also looks hot.  Like very warm to wear.  Looking forward to a review.

I wear a Kova neck guard. I'd say it's probably one of the cooler neck guards that are available. It's reeaallly stiff so compared to other neck guards, it doesn't wrap around your neck so thightly so there is some air flow kinda. I found the stiffness very uncomfortable at first though, but got used to it quickly.

Maybe I should write a review :D 

• Thanks 1

You just did lol

3 hours ago, saitagoalie said:

I wear a Kova neck guard. I'd say it's probably one of the cooler neck guards that are available. It's reeaallly stiff so compared to other neck guards, it doesn't wrap around your neck so thightly so there is some air flow kinda. I found the stiffness very uncomfortable at first though, but got used to it quickly.

you just did 🤣👍

• Haha 3

On 8/7/2020 at 9:21 PM, RichMan said:

So one of our own on TGN @craig did a generous offer for one of my goalie friends and he gave me permission to share his work with you all.

The goalie in question is in his early 60s and was wearing a much too small mask, so much that I was afraid for his safety. This is when @craig stepped in to help. He referbished an older mask and even did the paint job. I am very very grateful to him and I'm sure so will my friend be once I present him the mask. I believe it's an Eddy mask (correct me if I'm wrong John).

So here is the work in question...

20200806_221424.jpg

20200806_221440.jpg

20200806_221506.jpg

20200806_221605.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Rich. And props to you for reaching out in the first place. Glad your buddy could make use of it... or will soon I guess. Let me know what he thinks. 

And yep... its an Eddy GT L

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 11:06 AM, TheGoalNet said:

shocked you don't believe in a white based set then...

My idea on colored pads is that it makes shooters hesitate because they see what is covered and panic as to where they should shoot. I feel like white pads sort of make the goalie blend in with the net so shooters see the net and are more confident in where they are shooting

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

My idea on colored pads is that it makes shooters hesitate because they see what is covered and panic as to where they should shoot. I feel like white pads sort of make the goalie blend in with the net so shooters see the net and are more confident in where they are shooting

When I went from my white based set to my dark based set, I had multiple teammates ask me if I got smaller (less wide) pads. I've had the same guys say that they felt more confident shooting on me as there wasn't any second guessing to where I was and even in their peripheral vision, they could make out my gear better. 

7 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

on the other hand, darker based sets can make the goalie look smaller when they aren't, and pucks also blend in with the black so i can get a few quick whistles :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

When I went from my white based set to my dark based set, I had multiple teammates ask me if I got smaller (less wide) pads. I've had the same guys say that they felt more confident shooting on me as there wasn't any second guessing to where I was and even in their peripheral vision, they could make out my gear better. 

12 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

on the other hand, darker based sets can make the goalie look smaller when they aren't, and pucks also blend in with the black so i can get a few quick whistles :)

There are a lot of different opinions on this subject and the funny thing is that almost every single idea I have heard makes sense

• Haha 1

My mask all together now.  Wrap done by JF Aumais and cage/hardware powder coated by TWJ poweder coating. On it are shots of my son and I, the department I belong too, and from probably the largest fire in my career (over 10 different fire halls from 8 different towns from all over Muskoka at it) On the back I have the national war memorial, Canadian fallen firefighters foundation and Sparky the fire dog, my sons favorite.

20200816_114428.jpg

20200816_114447.jpg

20200816_114438.jpg

20200816_114516.jpg

20200816_114504.jpg

• Like 8

On 8/12/2020 at 6:33 PM, mr_shifty1982 said:

My experience wasn't 100% great, it also took a long time. Would have been better to have a phone conversation but he wouldn't. I feel like you need to design it and he'll just do it, he just has the equipment.  Know what I mean? What was your issue? Did you pay a deposit?

This was back in November of '19. It had only gotten to the point of design where I sent a description and high quality images to be composited together, that was where it was left, never hear back. I know he is very busy, his work is amazing, it was just disappointing based on the other feedback I'd heard about him. I guess we can't all have nice things. 😉

1 hour ago, goalie381 said:

This was back in November of '19. It had only gotten to the point of design where I sent a description and high quality images to be composited together, that was where it was left, never hear back. I know he is very busy, his work is amazing, it was just disappointing based on the other feedback I'd heard about him. I guess we can't all have nice things. 😉

Why not give it one more try, might take 6-8 weeks but worth a try.

On 8/13/2020 at 5:23 PM, saitagoalie said:

I went with the shortest neck option so it's not so high, it's a little stiff but playing with it I didn't feel it nor was I thinking of it.  Happy with hit, I also didn't feel hot in it.  I wouldn't tie it so tight, that will make you feel uncomfortable.

Picked up some new twigs... Pro Stock Premier II. I know they're not the latest and greatest... but expecting them to work just fine for my purposes. Bought 4 of them from the man himself... Michael Garteig... from his time spent winning a Kelley Cup with the Newfoundland Growlers (hoping they still have some of that magic left in them.)

Stock CCM 25" paddle... something Michael just said he'd always used and wasn't sure of the actual paddle height. I'll likely cut down the shaft some... a little taller than I'd like... but the paddle height is perfect. 

Not sure if its the age (although they were still in original packaging) or Gartieg's spec... or I'm just used to something more tacky... but the StickTak grip isn't all that sticky.

CCM Premier II (Pro Stock)

WEIGHT: 708g (weighed prior to taping)

COLOR SHAFT : BLACK 
COLOR PADDLE : BLACK  
COLOR LOGO: GOLD 
COLOR ACCENT: GOLD  
SHAFT & PADDLE MATERIAL: SIGMATEX CARBON COMPOSITE  
PADDLE CORE: ZERO FLUX
SIDE: REGULAR 
CURVE: N/A
SIZE SHAFT : N/A (Actual 30")
SIZE PADDLE : 25" (Actual  27")

IMG_3007.thumb.JPEG.e7f9d248331731e6dd23c9d6e4f9512a.JPEG

IMG_3009.thumb.JPEG.6da3a265a8b652050405aed308298801.JPEG

IMG_3011.thumb.JPEG.5089e2b8cce19675616a501f2b74b93d.JPEG

IMG_3013.thumb.JPEG.aef68bb1fe41345d2cc62559d2c18467.JPEG

Garteig great in Growlers return, posts shutout as Newfoundland ...

• Like 2

On 8/21/2020 at 1:53 PM, Griff1604 said:

New gear came in! My first custom set. Yes I placed my glove and blocker on the wrong side. Once I get used to them I’m gonna love em!

435F998A-D8BA-42D9-A288-3DF6510F384B.jpeg

I went with Brian’s for my first custom C/A and pants and after 6 skates still haven’t got them dialed in (have trouble strapping my helmet) maybe one more tweak will do it. 

On 8/21/2020 at 4:53 PM, Griff1604 said:

New gear came in! My first custom set. Yes I placed my glove and blocker on the wrong side. Once I get used to them I’m gonna love em!

435F998A-D8BA-42D9-A288-3DF6510F384B.jpeg

What factors lead you to go with a mixed Brians - Bauer set? They look great combined just wondering what factors sold you on each piece.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

What factors lead you to go with a mixed Brians - Bauer set? They look great combined just wondering what factors sold you on each piece.

Great question. It’s a funny story, I had actually ordered a full O2 set due to arrive in June, but when they were delayed they gave me the option to cancel part of or the whole order if I wanted to, and more info on the ultrasonics had just come out. I went Optik 2 pads instead of waiting for the ultrasonics because I wasn’t a fan of how stiff and straight Bauer pads are (tried 2x pro on ice) as I have a narrow butterfly and inflexible hips. I wanted a stiffer pad with a soft boot though, and the optiks had that along with being curved, which better fits my butterfly. As for glove and blocker, I went into my local retailer where I ordered the set through and tried on the US glove/blocker in store and was instantly sold. The blocker was rock solid all the way throughout, and had great wrist mobility. So far the rebounds have been really hot off of it as well, which is something I was looking for in my next blocker. As for the glove, it presents absolutely HUGE and the pocket is massive compared to the 2x pro, which was one of my complaints on the 2x pro. It closed great off the shelf and felt natural on my hand - still getting used to it on ice and breaking it in a touch more, but once I tune it up it’ll be amazing. One common theme between the glove and blocker that really sold me was the palms - they didn’t feel like they’d rip or get crusty like my GNetik IV palms, and they are BY FAR the most comfy palms I’ve ever worn, and they do a great job of drying out quickly. All in all, couldn’t be happier with how everything turned out. I’m getting used to the stiffness of the pads and how insanely well they slide, no complaints with the blocker, and a little more work with the glove and I’ll be all set. If you have any more questions let me know! Happy to help