Show off your Gear (Note: Any images posted here can be posted on @TheGoalNet Instagram)

Westcoast Tender

3 hours ago, AdamL said:

Mike was great, especially to a retail customer who probably asked for more customization than is typical.  Cannot wait to get the set, it’s going to be such a better fit for me than my X28s/XLTs.

Gonna be a huge upgrade in performance too.  The X28/XLT line was pretty brutal

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

Gonna be a huge upgrade in performance too.  The X28/XLT line was pretty brutal

I liked the XLT blocker. 😂  Shots don’t pop off of it like they used to, but it’s a nice piece.

I’ve never gotten along with the glove. It’s made well, but I don’t jive with the 590 break, and the pocket on this glove is both smaller and shallower than other gloves with a similar break.

The X28 pads just stink. I’ve been fighting them for 3.5 years now and can’t wait to dump them.  The tall, steep boot angle really negatively impacts my mobility, they’re heavy, slide terribly, and overall just don’t perform well for me.

I’ll be sure to do a more in-depth thread once the set gets here detailing what sort of customizations I did and my impressions of everything once I get them on the ice a few times.

Edited by AdamL
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 3:09 PM, AdamL said:

Mike was great, especially to a retail customer who probably asked for more customization than is typical.  Cannot wait to get the set, it’s going to be such a better fit for me than my X28s/XLTs.

Adam.  WTF man?  You cannot make a post like this and then not list your specs lol.

• Haha 2

I tell you, if I am ever financially able to get a new set I was 100% gung ho on a Brian's set, most likely Gnetik.  However, the V9 is really starting to grab my attention too.  Obviously the familiarity of staying in a Vaughn pad, but they've improved upon a lot of the things I would like to see changed in the V6 I am currently still stuck in.

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Adam.  WTF man?  You cannot make a post like this and then not list your specs lol.

What can I say? I’m a tease. I’ll be doing a separate thread with lots of photos and some more detailed impressions both out of the box and once I’m able to skate with them a few times.  👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I tell you, if I am ever financially able to get a new set I was 100% gung ho on a Brian's set, most likely Gnetik.  However, the V9 is really starting to grab my attention too.  Obviously the familiarity of staying in a Vaughn pad, but they've improved upon a lot of the things I would like to see changed in the V6 I am currently still stuck in.

I’m basically 100% sure I would have gone with 12.2s had they been available at the same time, but I think V9s are a compelling option (obviously) with the right tweaks.  Here’s hoping I’m right!  The spring leagues have started around here and I didn’t want to play the entire session in my current gear.  The set looks like it’ll be on my doorstep on Tuesday, more details incoming!

15 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Have you gotten to try them on and feel them at all in stores?  They feel really good to me, especially the 1 piece glove, and the pads are shockingly light weight.  The minimal strapping on the pads and the Quickslide are wins in my book. 

What are the changes you're talking about?  I see little imcremental improvements VE8 to V9 but for sure V6 to V9 is a big, drastic jump. 

On 4/2/2021 at 12:09 PM, AdamL said:

No, I did a lot of stuff to my first set of V2s I did through him on an employee deal.  He's used to it by now

22 hours ago, AdamL said:

What can I say? I’m a tease. I’ll be doing a separate thread with lots of photos and some more detailed impressions both out of the box and once I’m able to skate with them a few times.  👍

Awesome, looking forward to it.

10 hours ago, seagoal said:

Have you gotten to try them on and feel them at all in stores?  They feel really good to me, especially the 1 piece glove, and the pads are shockingly light weight.  The minimal strapping on the pads and the Quickslide are wins in my book. 

What are the changes you're talking about?  I see little imcremental improvements VE8 to V9 but for sure V6 to V9 is a big, drastic jump. 

No, I haven't seen them in person yet.  I haven't seen most stuff in person lol.  Closest store to me that actually has pro level gear is 45 minutes to an hour away depending on traffic.  I don't go out there much when I know I am not buying anything anytime soon.

As far as changes I would have liked to have seen to the V6, while, bare in mind I haven't even seen any of the 7, PVE, or 8 in person either.  A thinned out profile and some kind of better sliding material is what I really wanted to see which the V9 has both.  As well as a nicer graphic than previous generations.  

On 3/26/2021 at 6:21 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

Picked this set up for $750 😁

E6823E12-B51C-4E8F-9D7B-CF6A5BAF3BD7.thumb.jpeg.510219b230cbbbd97d4b483359ff5453.jpeg
I’ve been wanting to try out a JRZ set for a good while and after yesterday’s ice time with them I’m a huge fan of every piece except the glove. There’s a very high chance I order one of these sets after the new gloves are released 

Hey, I sold you those!  Glad you like 'em.  😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, D6_EBUG said:

Current JRZ Fusion set.  33+1", stiff flex.

Clean n' Mean.

IMG_E2876.JPG

IMG_E2880.JPG

IMG_E2879.JPG

IMG_E2923.JPG

I'd like to hear your input on the gear, especially the glove. Other than Matt's HR videos and the ones from Vachon on Youtube as well, not much is spread around on the internet.

8 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I'd like to hear your input on the gear, especially the glove. Other than Matt's HR videos and the ones from Vachon on Youtube as well, not much is spread around on the internet.

Happy to.  Matt is actually the reason why I chose JRZ... his reviews are outstanding.

This is my second Fusion set.  My first set (see a couple posts above) was pretty basic, standard specs - soft flex pads, game-ready palm on the glove.  For reference, I was coming from a pro stock 2X Pro set-up.

Out of the box everything felt great.  The pads are light and have solid rebound control, which is even better now that I switched to a stiff flex.  Took a little tweaking to get consistent rotation down, but I'm sure that's due to technique more than anything.  I still struggle with that a bit in the new set, mostly when transitioning to RVH (again... technique).  I did find the knee blocks to be a bit thick for my liking, so I had them shave 1/2" off my new set.

The blocker is spectacular.  Best I've ever used.  Rebounds absolutely rocket off of it, and I feel like I can "control" them much easier than with other blockers (and I was a big fan of the 2X Pro).  If it had the same palm as the 1X blocker, It would be perfect.

The glove is also great.  Big caveat here: I'm not picky about catch break angles like I know a lot of goalies are... just has never been a sticking point for me.  Closure was smooth and snappy from the get-go, what I would expect from a game-ready palm.  It's very comfortable to wear and the internal strapping system is well-constructed.  But the best part for me?  No stingers.  I had previously used three different pro stock 2X Pro gloves, and I was constantly getting stingers in every single one of them - so much so that I had taken to wearing a baseball catcher's protective glove underneath.  Nothing even close in the Fusion.  That right there is worth the money to me.

The only other thing I'd point out - and this is obviously not news around these parts - is that the stock graphics are bowling-shoe ugly.  The cut-and-sew design also makes them very difficult to clean, if that's something you care about.  Even though I went with all-black I was still happy to pay the small upcharge in order to have graphic-free flat faces on all of my pieces.

All of that said, I love my current set.  Since getting back into playing goal a few years ago, I've gone through a ton of other set-ups (Brian's, Warrior, Bauer 1S, 2S Pro, 1X & 2X Pro), and the JRZ Fusions are what finally stuck.  Exceptional quality, plenty of custom options and very reasonable price.  Absolutely would recommend.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Those are absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately I can’t buy a jrz custom set because of my job 🙄

Financial reasons or work policies?

13 hours ago, D6_EBUG said:

Happy to.  Matt is actually the reason why I chose JRZ... his reviews are outstanding.

Out of the box everything felt great.  ...  I did find the knee blocks to be a bit thick for my liking, so I had them shave 1/2" off my new set.

The blocker is spectacular.  Best I've ever used.  Rebounds absolutely rocket off of it, and I feel like I can "control" them much easier than with other blockers (and I was a big fan of the 2X Pro).  If it had the same palm as the 1X blocker, It would be perfect.

The glove is also great ...

The only other thing I'd point out - and this is obviously not news around these parts - is that the stock graphics are bowling-shoe ugly ...  Even though I went with all-black I was still happy to pay the small upcharge in order to have graphic-free flat faces on all of my pieces.

All of that said, I love my current set.  Since getting back into playing goal a few years ago, I've gone through a ton of other set-ups (Brian's, Warrior, Bauer 1S, 2S Pro, 1X & 2X Pro), and the JRZ Fusions are what finally stuck.  Exceptional quality, plenty of custom options and very reasonable price.  Absolutely would recommend.

So what knee protection do you use if you thought the blocks were too thick? 

Do you paddle down much with the blocker? I find the Prime is more suited for that.

Is the catcher well balanced? Does it square off well? Weight is fare?

If there is less sewing involved, why would there be an upcharge. You'd think it would be the opposite.

32 minutes ago, RichMan said:

So what knee protection do you use if you thought the blocks were too thick? 

Vaughn V9 Pro.  I should clarify, the thickness of the knee blocks hindered my skating more than I liked.

Do you paddle down much with the blocker? I find the Prime is more suited for that.

I do, and have yet to come across any issues (not related to poor technique, that is).

Is the catcher well balanced? Does it square off well? Weight is fare?

All of the above.  No complaints about any of these.

33 minutes ago, RichMan said:

If there is less sewing involved, why would there be an upcharge. You'd think it would be the opposite.

My hunch is that anything deemed custom removes it from production norms and therefore earns an upcharge.

19 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Order placed! (along with matching gloves)

had to use different websites because for some reason vaughn doesn’t have navy aerospacer but goaliemonkey does. gloves are projected to be here mid/late may and pads mid june (iirc)

169767E0-2B23-4826-929F-21090791EC5F.jpeg

E0298189-E490-49A3-B550-90B7BE66B4D6.jpeg

Nice, looking good.  What all did you order in terms of specs on the pads and mitts?  Such good news on the turn around time right now, I was quite pleased to hear this when I placed my order.

Did you see my new set on the way?

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

Nice, looking good.  What all did you order in terms of specs on the pads and mitts?  Such good news on the turn around time right now, I was quite pleased to hear this when I placed my order.

Did you see my new set on the way?

Thanks! On the glove, the usual LT98, double tee, velcro strap over tops of fingers, beefed up pro palm, stiffened T top finger side. Still experimenting with specs at the moment

On the blocker, this time I ordered an SLR2. Extra padding on the backhand, no forefinger protector, and full carbon insert sheet. 

On the pads, stock stiffness on the top, soft boot, standard toe bridge so i can install the kenesky’s, stock boot strap, velcro strap below the middle calf strap like on the SLR2s. 

As for your pads, I don’t believe I saw them, pm them to me if and when you can!