Show off your Gear (Note: Any images posted here can be posted on @TheGoalNet Instagram)

Westcoast Tender

On 3/9/2023 at 6:37 PM, MikeTheGoalie said:

@Aquilzz, I'm about to order a new True set and this is great to hear.  Do you find the thigh to be too stiff on these pads, or were you able to adjust to them no problem?  I'm coming from using Eflex pads the past 9 years, Velocities for many years before that.  I'm wondering if I should get 12.2's (more flexible thigh) or these new PX3's.

I think the stiffer thigh rise is great. Like you, I was a little concerned about how stiff they would be. It's why I went from a 33+2 V9 to a 32+2.5 PX3. They still have great flexibility in the boot and below the knee (mind you, this can be specced differently, I ordered the flexible options for both).

It took barely any adjusting at all, and I think the thinner thigh rise will actually be less of an adjustment than going Eflex to 12.2 because there is VERY little interference in the thigh rise.

Goalie pads in recent years have really pushed the envelope on thigh rise stiffness and pad seal. There's no question I lost a tiny bit of mobility compared to my V9s (although sizing down 0.5" helped), but I'm not worried about my pads trap door-ing a five hole goal. 

Another thing to mention, these pads are FANTASTIC with butterfly movements...the weave slides better than my Vaughns with quick slide.

On 3/11/2023 at 11:57 AM, Aquilzz said:

I think the stiffer thigh rise is great. Like you, I was a little concerned about how stiff they would be. It's why I went from a 33+2 V9 to a 32+2.5 PX3. They still have great flexibility in the boot and below the knee (mind you, this can be specced differently, I ordered the flexible options for both).

It took barely any adjusting at all, and I think the thinner thigh rise will actually be less of an adjustment than going Eflex to 12.2 because there is VERY little interference in the thigh rise.

Goalie pads in recent years have really pushed the envelope on thigh rise stiffness and pad seal. There's no question I lost a tiny bit of mobility compared to my V9s (although sizing down 0.5" helped), but I'm not worried about my pads trap door-ing a five hole goal. 

Another thing to mention, these pads are FANTASTIC with butterfly movements...the weave slides better than my Vaughns with quick slide.

Thank you @Aquilzz , @turbototts , and @Chenner29 for providing me some insight on the Trues.  I'll talk to the guys at The Hockey Shop this week and get their advice as well.  The gloves I'm not worried about, I'll get them spec'd the same as my current CCMs.   I'll post again when the gear arrives -- hopefully I don't have any buyer's remorse :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MikeTheGoalie said:

Thank you @Aquilzz , @turbototts , and @Chenner29 for providing me some insight on the Trues.  I'll talk to the guys at The Hockey Shop this week and get their advice as well.  The gloves I'm not worried about, I'll get them spec'd the same as my current CCMs.   I'll post again when the gear arrives -- hopefully I don't have any buyer's remorse :)

I've had some time to finally skate in my Px3s.  It's really a great pad, my favorite Lefevre entry to date.  The changes are small but work really well together.  If you're coming from a CCM (especially an Eflex) pad it's a very safe transition IMO.

The catch glove is going to be an underrated upgrade, they close much cleaner than the CCM versions and are much more consistent (I think I've had 3 Lefevre gloves now, all of them have felt exactly the same!). 

My EFlex 1 and Eflex 4s were both specced as Game Ready D30.  This go around with Px3 I went with a Game Ready Xtra and another with a Pro Palm.  Have been very pleasantly surprised how clean the pro palm is closing

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 1:28 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Now a Bauer guy. 

Ultrasonic leg pads and Mach gloves. 

Mach pads were alright, but the single break was very clunky and I have my doubts of the longevity of the jenpro attachment points for the tune fit system. 

With that being the only way to home the pad to your legs, it feels like playing with fire. 

Plus my 3S slid better. 

20230213_132347.thumb.jpg.368d53391378535198def6656b854b5b.jpg

Nice my man! I'm envious, I would love to get ahold of a Bauer set.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

It's been funny. As I've adjusted to these pads, my mind always goes back to that thread you made when you got your V9's. 

oh, yeah, squishy vs not-squishy.  It's a thing.  

I wouldn't order Velocity pads again.  Maybe SLR? But honestly, I want to try Bauer or True.  

I have WAY more hesitation about switching the mitts, especially the trapper.  I've honesly never put on another trapper that I felt good about.  There are some True trappers around here now but they are difficult to close in the stores.  Blockers mostly bug me about the shape/look than feel so not too worried there.

3 hours ago, seagoal said:

I wouldn't order Velocity pads again.  Maybe SLR? But honestly, I want to try Bauer or True.  

I have WAY more hesitation about switching the mitts, especially the trapper.  I've honesly never put on another trapper that I felt good about.  There are some True trappers around here now but they are difficult to close in the stores.  Blockers mostly bug me about the shape/look than feel so not too worried there.

That was my big hesitation from Warrior. It had always been the catcher for me since my GT1. The pads were always something I could move on from. 

Even with my new set, the glove is still the less loved piece, but I'm getting there. 

I'm the wrong guy to comment on Lefebvre gloves. They're the most antiquated glove on the market. Essentially a 20 year old model. I don't get the appeal. 

I remember reading or hearing a comment somewhere that, getting a goalie into a specific line really ends up boiling down to getting them to love the catcher. Blockers and pads are easy to adopt to, but catchers are such a personal thing. 

Which I say checks out. Which item is cloned the most in the NHL? Easily the catcher. 

So it definitely checks out why you're hesitant to move on. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I've had some time to finally skate in my Px3s.  It's really a great pad, my favorite Lefevre entry to date.  The changes are small but work really well together.  If you're coming from a CCM (especially an Eflex) pad it's a very safe transition IMO.

The catch glove is going to be an underrated upgrade, they close much cleaner than the CCM versions and are much more consistent (I think I've had 3 Lefevre gloves now, all of them have felt exactly the same!). 

My EFlex 1 and Eflex 4s were both specced as Game Ready D30.  This go around with Px3 I went with a Game Ready Xtra and another with a Pro Palm.  Have been very pleasantly surprised how clean the pro palm is closing

Thanks for the advice @Chenner29, that makes me feel better about this purchase.  I live in Kelowna, and there's not much for Pro goal gear in stock to try on, it's mostly Senior Bauer and CCM stuff.   Looks like 12.2 is discontinued for custom orders, so PX3 it is!  

I'm used to the 4 leather straps on the Eflex and hoping the FRS system with leather strap at knee and skate will be an easy move.

For the glove, I'll take your advice and get the Pro palm.  My current Eflex was Game Ready with D3O, which I liked, and from what I'm reading the quality of the True glove closure is much better than a custom CCM build!

20 hours ago, seagoal said:

The stock True gloves in the store (non-domestic version) feel much worse than the one you will get if you order custom. The PX3 that I got (580 break, game ready extra palm) closed easily and perfectly right out of the box.

26 minutes ago, Teezle said:

The stock True gloves in the store (non-domestic version) feel much worse than the one you will get if you order custom. The PX3 that I got (580 break, game ready extra palm) closed easily and perfectly right out of the box.

100%

IMO Toyota-Lexus, Honda-Acura is an apt comparison

On 3/13/2023 at 8:36 PM, seagoal said:

I thought you liked your V9s!  What gives?

1 hour ago, AdamL said:

I thought you liked your V9s!  What gives?

Oh, I do, for sure.  Best set I've ever had and I've seen huge improvements on my game in this set.  I'm just joining in on some harmless gear talk on here and speculating about the future for me and gear.  I'm not shopping or really in the market right now.  My V9 set is only 2 years old and still going strong.

That said, IF I had $3000 laying around with nothing else to do with it, these are my options:

1) Vaughn SLR3 pads, Vaughn SLR3 blocker, Vaughn Velocity 9 glove (I'd never buy anything with V10 graphics)

2) Bauer Mach full set

3) True latest and greatest with knee rolls, full set ( I honestly don't know True gear names)

Edited by seagoal

5 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Oh, I do, for sure.  Best set I've ever had and I've seen huge improvements on my game in this set.  I'm just joining in on some harmless gear talk on here and speculating about the future for me and gear.  I'm not shopping or really in the market right now.  My V9 set is only 2 years old and still going strong

Gear always does last a good long time when pucks aren't hitting it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Pretty sure we're still too spry for that thread full of geriatrics. 

I’m guessing you’re in your 40s or 50s… I could either say damn! You’re ancient!!! Or I could be a nice kid and go no way you should be in the old man thread… which to choose…..

Jesus christ coop you should be in the thread for “almost dead”

4 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I’m guessing you’re in your 40s or 50s… I could either say damn! You’re ancient!!! Or I could be a nice kid and go no way you should be in the old man thread… which to choose…..

Jesus christ coop you should be in the thread for “almost dead”

You sound like one of those teenagers that call me a Boomer when I game online. 

I'm 34. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Gear always does last a good long time when pucks aren't hitting it. 

Gentlemen, I think you’ll find, refer to it as a “re-sale-value-focused” style of play. It’s very hard to pull off - but having coined the term, and mastered the style, my gear will last the rest of my life! 

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, seagoal said:

Oh, I do, for sure.  Best set I've ever had and I've seen huge improvements on my game in this set.  I'm just joining in on some harmless gear talk on here and speculating about the future for me and gear.  I'm not shopping or really in the market right now.  My V9 set is only 2 years old and still going strong.

That said, IF I had $3000 laying around with nothing else to do with it, these are my options:

1) Vaughn SLR3 pads, Vaughn SLR3 blocker, Vaughn Velocity 9 glove (I'd never buy anything with V10 graphics)

2) Bauer Mach full set

3) True latest and greatest with knee rolls, full set ( I honestly don't know True gear names)

I'm pretty sure if my hips miraculously healed themselves and I started playing again I'd go with some PX3s, but I liked my V9s too. The guy I sold them to seems really happy with the set.

I did play around with the V10 customizer for funsies and got a design I was pretty happy with, but it's still definitely not my favorite graphic.

CD02701F-0C56-4C1F-8FC9-5630FEACB541.jpeg

33 minutes ago, AdamL said:

I'm pretty sure if my hips miraculously healed themselves and I started playing again I'd go with some PX3s, but I liked my V9s too. The guy I sold them to seems really happy with the set.

I did play around with the V10 customizer for funsies and got a design I was pretty happy with, but it's still definitely not my favorite graphic.

CD02701F-0C56-4C1F-8FC9-5630FEACB541.jpeg

Yeah, I just can't with the graphic.  The crooked hourglass X thing bugs me too much.

These are the SLR3s I'd order now if I could

Screenshot_20230226_145630_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.dcac862f78ac0144b3a2041e5926a0b8.jpg

I saw these somewhere and drooled a lot, too

Screenshot_20230221_182214_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ad93580db2dfb956818370e94dfe69d8.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Back on topic, lost one of my sweatbands somewhere in the locker room/laundry room/furnace room shuffle, so got these. Will try them out tomorrow night

313F367C-B328-491F-A458-29105193E3DB.jpeg

Love these more than the Vogel sweat bands. Mainly because they fit in my warrior bucket better

On 3/15/2023 at 9:02 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

Love these more than the Vogel sweat bands. Mainly because they fit in my warrior bucket better

So funny thing - two, actually.

I went to pack my bag after getting these, and sitting at the bottom of my black hockey bag was my “lost” black sweatband! So now I have 4 (funny to me, not so funny to my wife).

The other funny thing is that I played twice with them now, and I don’t think they retain as much as the Bauer ones I got with my bucket. I had sweat running down into my face both skates: I was really excited to read your endorsement, @ThatCarGuy, since you’re playing more often at a high level - and in stinking-hot Texas! LOL! Maybe I got one that looks similar to yours, but a different brand…? Maybe I’m doing it wrong - there were no instructions (😋🙃)

43 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

So funny thing - two, actually.

I went to pack my bag after getting these, and sitting at the bottom of my black hockey bag was my “lost” black sweatband! So now I have 4 (funny to me, not so funny to my wife).

The other funny thing is that I played twice with them now, and I don’t think they retain as much as the Bauer ones I got with my bucket. I had sweat running down into my face both skates: I was really excited to read your endorsement, @ThatCarGuy, since you’re playing more often at a high level - and in stinking-hot Texas! LOL! Maybe I got one that looks similar to yours, but a different brand…? Maybe I’m doing it wrong - there were no instructions (😋🙃)

Nope it’s the same one as what I had! The Vogel sweat bands definitely held more water but they also created pressure points since they’re not a semicircle like the warrior ones and they’re too thick for how my helmet fits