Jump to content

Show off your Gear (Note: Any images posted here can be posted on @TheGoalNet Instagram)


Westcoast Tender

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Coward, show them toes. 

I think the lack of a black spear in the middle is a happy little accident in my book. Set looks great as is. 

Though that mixup and the blocker mixup sucks. I'm guessing you're not too chaffed about the wrong blocker? 

 

Well, to my discredit what they went with was from an earlier revision. So it's not like I never specified it, but I was pretty sure I had changed it for my "this is what I want" submission.

I'm not too chaffed about the blocker since they're nearly the same for all intents and purposes. The 595 blocker is a great unit, only reason I really wanted the 615 is for the index finger attachment revision (having the elastic on both sides), but that doesn't really matter when holding the stick. The blocker is incredibly comfortable and shine, it was a come-to moment when I got to try one on, realizing why Lefevre blockers are so dang popular/liked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, keeperton said:

k. The blocker is incredibly comfortable and shine, it was a come-to moment when I got to try one on, realizing why Lefevre blockers are so dang popular/liked.

Yea, I've never liked the mantra of "A blocker is a blocker". A good blocker can be life changing and there truly is a nuance feel to them. 

There's been three pieces of gear that have just hit every chord with me:

Mach blocker, Mach C/A, Warrior catchers. Everything else is still in a "pending" category until I can find my unicorns. 

 

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea, I've never liked the mantra of "A blocker is a blocker". A good blocker can be life changing and there truly is a nuance feel to them. 

There's been three pieces of gear that have just hit every chord with me:

Mach blocker, Mach C/A, Warrior catchers. Everything else is still in a "pending" category until I can find my unicorns. 

 

I absolutely agree with you. Previously (under the influence of many of you, including) I was also in the “blocker is just a blocker” sect. but having tried several different blockers in the shortest possible time, literally every new blocker, I can say with confidence that this is not so. The slightest difference in the design of the blocker of different models and manufacturers is very noticeable and affects the game. I had two Lefebvre blockers, 1S, 2X pro, Hyperlite from Bauer, V3 from Vaughn before and after the conversion. they are all different! Even 2X pro and Hyperlite from the same Vapor line feel and work differently, although they are closest. my favorite by far is the Supreme 1S

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea, I've never liked the mantra of "A blocker is a blocker". A good blocker can be life changing and there truly is a nuance feel to them. 

There's been three pieces of gear that have just hit every chord with me:

Mach blocker, Mach C/A, Warrior catchers. Everything else is still in a "pending" category until I can find my unicorns. 

 

28 minutes ago, ser33 said:

I absolutely agree with you. Previously (under the influence of many of you, including) I was also in the “blocker is just a blocker” sect. but having tried several different blockers in the shortest possible time, literally every new blocker, I can say with confidence that this is not so. The slightest difference in the design of the blocker of different models and manufacturers is very noticeable and affects the game. I had two Lefebvre blockers, 1S, 2X pro, Hyperlite from Bauer, V3 from Vaughn before and after the conversion. they are all different! Even 2X pro and Hyperlite from the same Vapor line feel and work differently, although they are closest. my favorite by far is the Supreme 1S

I have always been firmly out of that train of thought; I've always been pretty particular with blockers to the point of being frustrated that I never really loved any of mine. 

I had thought I really liked the Optik "tapered on every side" style for a long while (a really long while, like since the DX2 was new while). The problem with them is that pucks die on everywhere but the center when impacted, but I love the finger attachment style on the current Optik blockers. I have used my GNetikV blocker loads more because it feels more stable, kicks rebounds harder, and has a more rigid sidewall. If Brian's fixed how heavy/clunky it feels with the Iconik, that blocker is likely a winner-and-a-half (especially if they'll customize it to have the Optik style finger connection).

I tried the Hyperlite, viewing it like a return to the early Vapor XXX blocker (with the super thin board), except it had the same problem as above and I've found Bauer blockers to feel restricted in how much you can manipulate the paddle angle coming out of the hand/sidewall connection. Also found pucks died pretty hard when not hitting center too. I will also voice the opinion of whatever Bauer did to the cuff on the Hyperlite2 is a tragedy, that thing feels horribly restrictive and awful. My condolences to anyone using it not knowing any better.

I like the 1X style (Bauer 2-piece) blocker a lot, but haven't gotten to use my own. The balance on them rules, but the sidewall hole leaves to be desired to me.

I like the Velocity blockers, though liked the V8 and V9 more than the V10. I have never gotten to try an SLR blocker.

I love the Lefevre blockers. They feel great in balance, weight, materials (I like a padded palm), ping, etc. Only thing I'd change on my 595 is the index finger attachment, as noted previously.

 

If I'm going to list my favorites of things/unicorns thus far into my career/experience as a goalie, the ones I can most easily distill are:

  • 600 style gloves, for absolute certain
    • I'll specifically call out the Brian's GNetik/Iconik gloves and Vaughn V10 Pro Carbon glove, best I've ever tried on
    • The Lefevre built one is fine, I'm still getting used to it and breaking it, I'm used to a rather flappable glove
  • Vaughn SLR style pants, I have yet to get a stinger in my SLR3 Pro Carbon pants (significant upgrade from my SLR2 Pro Carbon pants)
  • Lefevre blockers, I can pretty confidently add this to my list
  • I will always prefer how the 960 shape looks to any other mask, so that's in here
  • Warrior V-series sticks, I haven't used one I've liked as much yet (admittedly I haven't gotten to use a Bauer stick in recent years, though I want to)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/17/2024 at 10:46 PM, IpaddyTECH said:

let us know how it settles in for you. Thinking of upgrading to one myself. I'm hoping it's cooler than others with the back of the neck open

So far I dislike the Kova neck guard.  Have a couple skates with it.  The neck is solid material which is great for protection however feels like I'm getting choked when looking down.  Also feels like it's pulling on the back of the neck.  I tie down my chest protector so that may have something to do with it.

As for the choked feeling.  I've talked with a few goalies who have said the same.  There are some new Kovas sitting collecting dust as the guys I talked with won't go back to it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, daffy said:

So far I dislike the Kova neck guard.  Have a couple skates with it.  The neck is solid material which is great for protection however feels like I'm getting choked when looking down.  Also feels like it's pulling on the back of the neck.  I tie down my chest protector so that may have something to do with it.

As for the choked feeling.  I've talked with a few goalies who have said the same.  There are some new Kovas sitting collecting dust as the guys I talked with won't go back to it.

This was my take when looking at the Kova too as I was considering one for a hot minute.

Instead, I've been using a pro stock CCM I found on SLS that is basically a clavicle protector or a copy of the Vaughn model.  It's got a low profile and I don't feel choked or pinched.

I tie my chest down as well and wear suspenders over.

image.png.724f9bf2a3a044db7006c6511bf06cd0.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

No specs got messed up! There truly is a first time for everuthinf!!!

Sorry, everything, tough typing with one hand while the rest of your body is reverberating at the site of these

Here I thought you were typing with one hand

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2024 at 6:56 PM, Chenner29 said:

This was my take when looking at the Kova too as I was considering one for a hot minute.

Instead, I've been using a pro stock CCM I found on SLS that is basically a clavicle protector or a copy of the Vaughn model.  It's got a low profile and I don't feel choked or pinched.

I tie my chest down as well and wear suspenders over.

image.png.724f9bf2a3a044db7006c6511bf06cd0.png

I think I may go same route as you and find a pro stock.  Used to use a Vaughn.  Might find a pro return on SLS and sell the Kova.  Have a couple people interested in buying.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, daffy said:

I think I may go same route as you and find a pro stock.  Used to use a Vaughn.  Might find a pro return on SLS and sell the Kova.  Have a couple people interested in buying.  

So what did you wear before this? I’m still in a Maltese I got in 2010. I was thinking of going the Kova route next. Would that be a mistake?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/12/2024 at 4:33 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

So what did you wear before this? I’m still in a Maltese I got in 2010. I was thinking of going the Kova route next. Would that be a mistake?

If you have a Maltese, I think Kova would be fine.  I was using a cheap Brian's before this so basically not much.  If you are used to a decent neck guard, then I think the adjustment to Kova will be ok.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...