BadAngle41

I had sent out my gear to Dennis over at FactoryMAD to get some minor modifications and repairs. I wasn't looking to do his full glove mod (his internals and floating T etc.) just replace some binding and lacing which had been worn down. To my surprise I had an email from him this morning advising the thumb mold was shattered and he recommended replacing. Of course I said "Yes please do." as I trust his professional opinion, but wondered what "shattered" looked like. Without me even asking for a picture he snapped the image below and passed it along as an FYI... and he wasn't misusing the word... it is shattered?

1514948742_ShatteredThumbMold.thumb.jpg.89f4b0b241c20ec6c7aa59e304175322.jpg

Per Dennis it's not all that uncommon amongst CCM/Koho/Reebok gloves. Gloves which I have worn almost exclusively throughout my life. To be honest, I couldn't tell you that I felt it play or feel any differently compared to its twin which I've only worn a handful of times. I also don't recall a particularly massive shot that would have caused it (nor do I want to give any particular shooter credit as it will only go straight to their neanderthal brain.)

Worth noting that there is a good amount of padding behind the mold, so I wouldn't say it's as much of a safety concern as a bent cage, but eye opening nonetheless. I wonder how many other gloves I've used over the years have had a similar situation and I just never realized...

Anyone else have a similar experience you could elaborate on? Is it more of a safety concern than I'm giving it credit for?

Can't comment about gloves (never had any taken apart), but, I have played with broken cup(s) and broken thigh protection in my pants for an extended period of time.

Hell, my cups have been broken for about 2 years and I finally got around to replacing them. I'd be more strict about it with a single cup, but a double cup gives a lot of leeway to risk my nuts.

The thigh protection was whatever. Would sting occasionally, but no bruises or any type of long lasting effects.

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Can't comment about gloves (never had any taken apart), but, I have played with broken cup(s) and broken thigh protection in my pants for an extended period of time.

Hell, my cups have been broken for about 2 years and I finally got around to replacing them. I'd be more strict about it with a single cup, but a double cup gives a lot of leeway to risk my nuts.

The thigh protection was whatever. Would sting occasionally, but no bruises or any type of long lasting effects.

Too many opportunities to take some shots at you here... so I won't. I will say however you can add cracked cup to the safety issue list along side bent cage for me. 

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

It is one part of the formula in the plastic that does this and I remember if there was not enough or too much. There are many solutions for this, but they cost extra, obviously.

I think I get what you're trying to say in that this cracked piece is just one of many layers that go into protecting our hands. Dennis is just going to throw in a new thumb mold for me. 

On 8/23/2018 at 7:51 AM, BadAngle41 said:

Anyone else have a similar experience you could elaborate on? Is it more of a safety concern than I'm giving it credit for?

It's a very common issue with the Reebok/Koho/CCM one piece cuff.

I assume it's because of hard shots to the perimeter that cause the cuff to flex.  Enough repetition causes the foam and plastic to bend, crack, and split like you are seeing.

Some of the modders that I have spoken to said the issues you are seeing are due to inferior materials.  It can become a safety issue further down the line when the materials start rubbing together.  Otherwise, most of the gloves are sewn pretty tight and the jenpro/nylon does a decent job of holding the pieces together.

Speaking from Replacing these plastic cuff, The first generation we're a black plastic version.

The improved version was white & was suppose to absorb impact & withstand more abuse. 

I've used the white one since changing the black one out & since then, no issues.

Nash sports in Lakefeild, Ontario stock these.

I've oone work for him in the past & trust me he has every model.

image_f1ece18b-ae7f-4839-b053-1496f77cb1e4_1024x1024.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Robert Brunet said:

Speaking from Replacing these plastic cuff, The first generation we're a black plastic version.

The improved version was white & was suppose to absorb impact & withstand more abuse. 

I've used the white one since changing the black one out & since then, no issues.

Nash sports in Lakefeild, Ontario stock these.

I've oone work for him in the past & trust me he has every model.

image_f1ece18b-ae7f-4839-b053-1496f77cb1e4_1024x1024.jpeg

On as many of those gloves that had that problem, that should have been a recall!

I am certain the Nash version is less expensive than when repairers were making new moulds for those!

Archived