AC Separation — Now what?

stackem30

Hey guys, had myself a bad bicycle accident this past week, and I separated my right shoulder — more specifically, it's a Grade III Acromioclavicular separation. Both ligaments that connect my clavicle to the shoulder are completely torn. I have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon next week, and they'll be deciding on whether or not to recommend surgery.

Obviously, I'm going to go in with an open mind, and listen carefully to what the doctors say about my specific case. But from what I've read, this is a classic "to have surgery, or not to have surgery?" case, where a lot of people go different ways. A lot of people opt not to have surgery, but it seems a lot of younger people, or people who are athletes or lead physically demanding lives opt to have the surgery. Regardless of whether or not I opt for surgery, I'm going to have to do a lot of rehab to get back full range of motion and strength in my shoulder. I take the collective knowledge and opinions of the internet with a massive grain of salt and skepticism, but I'm getting the distinct impression that I'm going to be facing a tough choice re: surgery.

Has anyone here suffered an AC separation? How bad was it? Did you opt to have surgery? Why or why not? Do you regret the decision? What was the recovery/rehab process like? Has it affected how you play goal? 

This is all very knew to me... I've broken bones and suffered plenty of minor injuries, but this is the first time I've had something where I've faced surgery and rehab. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can in the meantime (although of course, what the medical experts tell me will be of the most importance). Any and all information would be great, thanks.

So my Dad went through almost the same thing. His was only a Grade 2. So not a full tear, but close.

He went with the non-surgical approach, which was recommended as it wasn't a full tear. The Doc at the time did mention that if it was a grade 3, he would've heavily suggested surgery. My dad was mid forties at the time of this.

He healed fine in a few months, has a nasty permanent bump where the shoulder meets the clavicle and has been essentially 95%+ in that shoulder since.

Good luck with the healing.

I don’t have a lot of advice except for rest and get to physical therapy as soon as your shoulder lets you, lol. None of it is super taxing it just gets you back into shape and/or keep you in shape.

if anything like that left me out of hockey for that long I would be miserable but you still are positive as can be about it. For that I commend you. I wish you all the best with your recovery 

Sorry to hear. No AC experience but I have a sublexated SC joint (other end by sternum) that I never had repaired. No functional issues with it today, just visually noticeable since its partially dislocated.

For what its worth, I also had a bad rotator tear last year that was sort of a toss up with PT and surgery. Tried PT for a few months and ended up going surgical repair route. Its was every bit a 6 month recovery process but very glad I did it. Whatever you do just be religious about the PT! Good luck with the recovery!

Listen to your Doctors.  Be smart and don't be a stubborn male.
Seriously, that sucks, especially the timing of it.
However, if you want to send me those beautiful Kenesky pads of yours, I will make sure they see ice time during your recovery.  Don't want them to get lonely you know...

Best wishes on a positive recovery.

Thanks for the kind sentiments and advice, everyone.

I had an appointment with two orthopedic surgeons who specialize in sports medicine — surprisingly, they were in a favor of a more conservative approach, and did not recommend surgery at this time. They said that at my age and 'level of fitness', I have a good 90% chance of making a full recovery. That means three things: full range of motion, full strength, and no pain.

It's kind of weird to think that if I do forego surgery, my clavicle will always be misplaced, and I'll always have the bump in my shoulder (I don't care from a vanity point of view). But big picture, I am really happy that they gave me such good odds for a complete non-surgical recovery. Finances aside, surgery would mean 6 weeks in a sling before I begin PT... god, that seems like a longgg time to be one-armed. The 'good' news is that if I or they are not happy with how my shoulder is recovering, I can always opt for surgery down the road... no expiration there.

I was referred to an excellent PT facility, and I begin on September 10 (waiting list was kind of ridiculous, but that's healthcare for ya, as I've been reminded so often in the past week). I am very anxious to get started, and I am mentally psyching myself up to really, really dedicate myself to the recovery. I imagine it will be hard/frustrating/painful, but I am very determined to go 110% on it.

I have a great support system at home... my wife is fastidious about these types of things. She is a big runner, and she suffered a knee injury about 18 months ago. She was really dedicated to PT, which ended almost a year ago. Since then, she logs what she eats, when she works out, how far she runs, how it makes her feel, etc. She gets up every morning and does the same PT exercises religiously, and logs her progress there as well. She takes this stuff very seriously, and I plan to follow in her footsteps.

Nothing like an injury to make you appreciate your health and activities... I can't wait to get back in goal and whip my stick around with reckless abandon. Until then, I'll focus on raising my right arm high enough to brush my teeth... doing everything left is hard, I don't know how you southpaws do it ;)

39 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I have a great support system at home... my wife is fastidious about these types of things. She is a big runner, and she suffered a knee injury about 18 months ago. She was really dedicated to PT, which ended almost a year ago. Since then, she logs what she eats, when she works out, how far she runs, how it makes her feel, etc. She gets up every morning and does the same PT exercises religiously, and logs her progress there as well. She takes this stuff very seriously, and I plan to follow in her footsteps.

Couldn't imagine a better example to follow than her. I'm exhausted thinking of that routine. :P

Good luck bud.

Archived