Glove Break In Techniques

oguy

What brand?

Heat molding is an option, so is just watching lots of movies with it on, opening and closing repeatedly.

That said, the Keeps method is just water.  Way less destructive than salty, oily sweat.

You could do a less involved Keeps method and just do hot water externally rather than internally.

Fair enough. 

Hot water externally is less invasive. I typically only use hot water in the crease externally.

Just think about what break-in means: breaking down materials to be more malleable and less rigid. 

So, you can't really break-in a glove without doing some "damage". 

I wrecked a glove years ago to the point where it was virtually unusable by using that nonsense hot water method. Many said, "You're an idiot, you just did it wrong" including the individual that came up with the method. I strongly suggest you do not do that.

Try and find yourself a skate oven or one of those baseball glove steamers with about 3-5 minutes of heat, take it out and snap it a few times.

I do something closer to what Ultima says to do. I use a convection oven set at 170 degrees F. I spritz heavily, turn OFF the oven when I put the glove in, and leave it in ten minutes MAX. I then work it hard; open close until it cools.  Ultima’s method is safer and would be better to defer to. 

I will not soak gear in hot water unless I am cleaning it; even then- it is as hot as my hot water gets from my tap as I save my kettle for tea. I will clean a glove like that maybe TWICE in its lifetime.

If you get a Factory glove, it will close out of the box. It is not broken in, mind, but closeable. Keep that in mind.I played a game in it new.

1 minute ago, oguy said:

@ULTIMA that’s what I was worried of when hearing about that technique. I was thinking of taking it to the local sporting goods store and have them steam it in the baseball glove steamer. It sounds safer then drenching you’re glove in hot water.

I go with steam using a tea kettle then the Hot Glove wrap. Nothing but good results. 

Archived