Goalie Cups

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's for my son and he is obsessed with protecting that area. He had an odd shot hitting a stick right in front of him and got him from under instead of from the front. Since then, he is wearing a player cup under his compression pants. He had a good quality single Vaughn intermediate cup but this one got cracked by a shot. We don't know when that happened so he was well protected. He just got 14 but practice regularly with the U16 and U18. Si the best protection would be nice. The goalie cup doesn't need to be a double either but he wants to keep the player cup close to his body for the odd shots and if the goalie cup get out of place

10 hours ago, Patrick said:

Can Someone help me with any cup that could work over a Shock doctor adult jock? I was thinking Warrior X pro or Brian's Optik but any suggestion would do. The cup would have to be large enough to contain the other cup not just sit on top. We want to be able to inspect and replace the plastic cup. His previous intermediate cup had an hairline crack in it that we found while removing the cup for washing. He is now moving to adult size.

I just moved to the Vaughn SLR pro carbon double cup a few months ago. It fits over my compression shorts with player's cup just fine. The inner cup (or I guess middle cup, in our "triple cup" setups) is removable. It's also surprisingly (to me) protective -- my prior jocks all had "boards" in front of the cup (late 90's D&R, Bauer Pro) kind of like the Warrior pro one does, so I wasn't sure what to expect from the more "basic" double design, but it's working out fine. 

13 minutes ago, big_tommy68 said:

I just moved to the Vaughn SLR pro carbon double cup a few months ago. It fits over my compression shorts with player's cup just fine. The inner cup (or I guess middle cup, in our "triple cup" setups) is removable. It's also surprisingly (to me) protective -- my prior jocks all had "boards" in front of the cup (late 90's D&R, Bauer Pro) kind of like the Warrior pro one does, so I wasn't sure what to expect from the more "basic" double design, but it's working out fine. 

Do you fell that the Vaughn has better movement than the Warrior or Optic? The Warrior seems bulky but a lor of people don't feel it getting in the way, never seen the Optik in real life.

11 minutes ago, big_tommy68 said:

My experience exactly! haha Happened once and I've been double/triple cupping ever since!

Funny how unlikely things keep happening. I guess they are not so unlikely. He wears his player cup under his compression pants otherwise the pants make the cup kind of flip up when he crouch.

Thanks for your response.

10 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Do you fell that the Vaughn has better movement than the Warrior or Optic? The Warrior seems bulky but a lor of people don't feel it getting in the way, never seen the Optik in real life.

Funny how unlikely things keep happening. I guess they are not so unlikely. He wears his player cup under his compression pants otherwise the pants make the cup kind of flip up when he crouch.

Thanks for your response.

I have the optik in the senior size and it was really really big, I can’t use it yet because it’s so big so I got the bauer one instead and I’m 5” 9’. I can go take a picture next to something to show you how big it really is if you give me a few minutes. 

I haven't seen the optic either, unfortunately. The Warrior I have seen but not worn -- I can tell you that I wasn't worried about movement in it, but I was worried about getting my pants up over it. The Warrior looks/feels like it would be a tank protection wise, but the covering "board" piece sticks out enough so more on the Warrior than it did on my last jock (Bauer Pro) that I ended up getting the Vaughn instead

image.jpeg.5d5e4c9eff2fa717bda6bc51b2f8552a.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Hockey1234 said:

I have the optik in the senior size and it was really really big, I can’t use it yet because it’s so big so I got the bauer one instead and I’m 5” 9’. I can go take a picture next to something to show you how big it really is if you give me a few minutes. 

Wow. Is it bigger than the Warrior? How does it get in the way? Can you wear a cup under your Bauer?

My son is 5'8" and his legs are super long with a short torso. He borrowed a Warrior once and can play in it even if it seems so bulky to me. The Warrior velcro and straps don't look like they are going to last. I just don't want to keep buying. Brown look way too big but their stuff last forever. We have their knee pads and it does not even look aged while everything else falls apart.

20 minutes ago, big_tommy68 said:

I haven't seen the optic either, unfortunately. The Warrior I have seen but not worn -- I can tell you that I wasn't worried about movement in it, but I was worried about getting my pants up over it. The Warrior looks/feels like it would be a tank protection wise, but the covering "board" piece sticks out enough so more on the Warrior than it did on my last jock (Bauer Pro) that I ended up getting the Vaughn instead

image.jpeg.5d5e4c9eff2fa717bda6bc51b2f8552a.jpeg

He has space in the pants for the Warrior but he had to borrow it for a game so we did not test it extensively. We were wondering if it would get in the way while closing the 5 hole or bending over since his torso is so short. We can't get to try it again because the people are out of town for the summer. So none of those issues with the Vaughn? That's great to hear. I have to get away from my computer for a few hours, it is great to hear people experience here.

29 minutes ago, Hockey1234 said:

Is it the inside cup that is too big? If so, could you replace it with a smaller one?

Here's the one I wear over a normal cup that is in my compression shorts.

It works great because the Bauer goalie cup flares out nice and wide.

Difficult to say if it's "too bulky" as that is a completely subjective designation, but this works great for me.

image.png.4ceba69d4da68d88c281d02bf7f3d5ad.png

My son generally has great disdain for Warrior products but the Warrior jock is a tank.  He uses the double cup and has never had an issue, even playing at a high level.  Mobility is a nonissue, and he gets his pants over it no problem.  He wears his compression pants underneath the jock.

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

Difficult to say if it's "too bulky" as that is a completely subjective designation, but this works great for me.

Too bad our LHS does not carry most goalie Jocks. It seems that it is wide enough to do the job. Thank you again for responding. It is nice to get answer on current products.

1 hour ago, TheWall0211 said:

My son generally has great disdain for Warrior products but the Warrior jock is a tank.  He uses the double cup and has never had an issue, even playing at a high level.  Mobility is a nonissue, and he gets his pants over it no problem.  He wears his compression pants underneath the jock.

We are not against Warrior, in fact we have their G2 Pro CA and pants. But some of the products like pants wear out really quick. Keep in mind that some weeks he was on the ice for 5-6 hours easily. Any issue with durability here?

4 hours ago, seagoal said:

That's pretty much what I do, with a Bauer Reactor over a normal player cup in my compression layer. Never had any issues with protection, or having to make adjustments mid-game, and I tend to be a very active goaltender.

2 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

That's pretty much what I do, with a Bauer Reactor over a normal player cup in my compression layer. Never had any issues with protection, or having to make adjustments mid-game, and I tend to be a very active goaltender.

That narrows it down to a few worth looking at. Can you remove and inspect the cup on the Bauer unit?

1 hour ago, Patrick said:

That narrows it down to a few worth looking at. Can you remove and inspect the cup on the Bauer unit?

No, the cup is sewn into a bunch of padding and such. Not sure if they're manufacturing the Reactors anymore, but the Vapour that seagoal posted looks like a re-skinned version of it.

For the record, before I started wearing a player cup behind it, shots that hit my goalie jock square would push it back into my tender bits, and the padding on the inside of the cup felt like it was doing more harm than good. I wouldn't recommend using this cup without a player cup behind it. The player cup provides separation between my tender bits and the goalie cup, and acts a bit like a spring system if I take a shot there, keeping the goalie cup from pushing back into me; it gives me a bit of a pocket that my tender bits can, ah, comfortably hang out in. It also runs between my legs more than the goalie jock does, for a bit of extra protection if someone thinks they can go bar-down through my five-hole.

For someone who isn't facing high-level shooters on a daily basis (most of my games have a few Junior A, or ex-Junior A guys, max), it works fine. I'd definitely upgrade my goalie jock if I was facing harder shots more often, but I'm always going to wear the player cup, I think. I find the pocket that the player cup provides is more comfortable than just wearing a goalie jock.

2 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

For someone who isn't facing high-level shooters on a daily basis (most of my games have a few Junior A, or ex-Junior A guys, max), it works fine. I'd definitely upgrade my goalie jock if I was facing harder shots more often, but I'm always going to wear the player cup, I think. I find the pocket that the player cup provides is more comfortable than just wearing a goalie jock.

If it is good for Junior A or even ex-junior A, It is plenty for anything around here for sure. Thank you for all your advice. It helps a lot.

On 6/21/2019 at 4:48 PM, Patrick said:

We are not against Warrior, in fact we have their G2 Pro CA and pants. But some of the products like pants wear out really quick. Keep in mind that some weeks he was on the ice for 5-6 hours easily. Any issue with durability here?

Again, we generally don’t like Warrior gear because we also have struggled with durability, but the double goalie jock seems to be an exception.  It has held up well.  We recently bought a replacement after 2 solid seasons, but we bought the same jock.  Replacement was only because it was time, not because of any issues.  The Warrior double goalie jock is a tank and the design makes a lot of sense.

I can also attest that the Warrior Ritual cup is a tank. I've taken a number of direct hits and not felt anything and it is very comfortable. I did have to remove the top part of it as the way it comes out from the waist interfered when tucking my chest protector in, but once I did that I have had zero issues with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to give an update on the Cup we tried on. I think it could be useful for someone out there.

We were not able to compare any of the CCM or Bauer products.

Here are the one we could compare with a mix of store visits and a friend that had a Warrior Ritual X.

Vaughn SLR pro carbon double cup: it seems the best build and protective unit. It is pretty similar to the warrior in size. The inner cup is replaceable and you can inspect for damage. It fits well over a shock doctor adult player cup. I would have been my choice but my son did not like the feel of it and the waist band fits a wider waist than the other models. The band would be easy to replace if you want to keep the unit. This is my preferred one but I am not a goalie. My son did not like the protective tab that bend where the leg and groin meet. He was worry about it getting in the way.

Warrior Ritual X: Here also the inner cup is replaceable and you can inspect for damage. The waist adjust to a smaller size than the Vaughn. The unit is very light and as people said it is not as bulky and cumbersome as it looks.. You have to remove the Velcro inside padding to fit over the adult shock doctor player cup but it fits.

Brian Optik: Very similar to the Vaughn but  a bit slimmer in fit. The inner cup is slimmer and  smaller. The inner cup is would not fit over the adult shock doctor player cup. It would sit on top We already had a Shock Doctor Titan Alloy XL to replace the inner cup that cracked in his previous goalie cup that got too worn out.  So we replaced the Brian's inner cup with the XL cup and it fits over the players cup without a problem. This is the setup he prefer. The unit is still very big but the padding on the inner cup is build differently and does not go as wide which he prefers. A great build but less coverage a bit.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those.

• 2 months later...

I use a Warrior player's compression shorts with a NuttyBuddy cup in the "cup pocket".  I find that this is enough unless I'm playing against pro or ex-pro players (and I do sometimes but not always) who can really hammer a slap shot, in which case I wear an extra inexpensive senior level single goalie cup on top of the NuttyBuddy cup.  I used to wear huge pro double goalie cups, but I find that this system protects better and is much lighter.   Your mileage may vary as my "jewels" may be a different size or shape than others.

• 1 year later...
On 6/21/2019 at 11:34 AM, seagoal said:

I play adult hockey and hadnt in few years. The jock i got turns out to be junior size but fits me. Is there any difference in quality juniorvto senior or should i be glad i can fit into junior ? I'm 5 11 about 180

Archived