coopaloop1234

2018/2019 Beer League Discussion

On 4/1/2019 at 8:40 AM, Lucky Pucker said:

Those women are only interested in men who wear kilts, so you're shit out of luck bud!

What if I had my own clan and castle?

Gathering_2012.jpg

This isn't me... but he's sporting my family's tartan kilt. Add in the Scottish Terrier ... does it get any more Scottish? Even has a sun burn.

DSC02575.jpg

Posted (edited)

I had one of the craziest sequences tonight that I have had in my entire life playing goalie.

Kind of a crazy game overall.  I was subbing for my buddy on a team that is 1/2 my regular team and we were playing against a team that is 1/2 players I play pick-up with every week...and I use to be the goalie on this team 3 seasons ago when their goalie got hurt, which was before I officially joined this league.  Lots and lots of connections.  I was pretty excited to play in this game. 

The first crazy thing was this jerk who I don't know take a head high swing at me with his stick when I was down on my knees.  He is a RW so on my left, I slide over for a nice pass and he gets a good shot on which I save and it was his own rebound with the puck on the ice, me on my knees, he swings at the height of my head and makes contact with me just below the dangler on my collar bone.  I cover the puck , get the whistle, then make my way towards him before a group of guys hold me back and the ref starts reprimanding me.   Totally idiotic play and result.   Same guy slashes my stick two other times, calls me names all game, and then smirks at me with this ridiculous grin in the handshake line afterwords.  He's like a top notch human being, I'm quite positive. 

Then, 2nd period, we are down, 2-0 at this point, there's a 2 on 1 advantage down low near me and a pass comes from my left to right, so I slide over and lock in position at the right post.  The receiver, who is my good friend and a weaker player, gets the puck and she sorta freezes, no shot, and attempts to just charge in for the goal straight on.  So I go to poke check straight out and my freaking blocker just flys off with my stick stilll in the grip...so now I'm stickless and blocker less.  My poke check actually worked and now the puck is at the point with the left D, also a friend and a very strong player with a rocket for a shot.  He shoots and I make a right pad save in a symmetrical butterfly, puck goes to the corner.  They keep control and are  now cycling, pass to my left, slide, left pad save.   Puck now in that corner.  More cycling, up the the right D who then passes to the pinching LW who fires a shot from the face off dot to my right....high.   Shit.  I can't "punch" like I have a blocker on, so I don't.  So my instinct is to make a bare palm save, which I do, but it hits sorta low just at my wrist/forearm cusp.   Holy crap, ouch.  

Everyone goes crazy.  Both teams, benches, and the refs, and the few folks watching in the stands.  

More cycling, more control.  Another shot comes to my glove side hip which unfortunately I couldn't hold and the rebound goes out.  Drop to the point on my left, pass the point on my right, hard shot again, symmetrical butterfly, hits me in the cup and it dies, finally , in between my knees protected by the thigh rise of my pads.  Whistle.  Holy crap. I'm completely exhausted and breathing really hard.  

Both teams on ice and the refs come to congratulate me and the ref tells me he's telling the league to pulll the video on the rink's Live Barn feed for social media.  Absolutely crazy sequence.  

We end up losing 5-1 with shots 37-21 in their favor.  I did all of that, stopped 3 breakaways, and four 2on1 breaks.  I was pretty pleased with myself.

I got the first beer in the locker room. 

Oh, and my writst now has a purple golf ball size bruise with the grooves from the puck and part of the word SLOVAKIA imprinted on it. 

Pretty awesome stuff for me tonight, guys.

I. Love. Being. A. Goalie. A. Lot. 

Cheers. 

Edited by seagoal

@seagoal A couple of questions:

1. How do you even lose your blocker like that in the first place? 😮

2. I know it's up to the refs discretion, but I am surprised they didn't blow the play dead eventually. Did the ref give a reason?

3. Seriously, how do you lose your blocker like that? :rofl:

• Haha 1

@seagoal when do you get to see the top notch human being again? I hope you can at least get a blocker punch to his throat the next time you meet him. I would not go for a shot to the ghoulies, as he sounds like a man devoid of testicles.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

@coopaloop1234 yeah, excellent question.  I have no idea.  That's the first time ever that my blocker comes off.  In fact, I crank the wrist strap down pretty good and I wear an internal glove/brace thingy to keep it more snug than normal.  I'm pretty sure I dropped my right knee down and just lunged straight forward while choking up on my stick...I'm thinking when the knob got to my hand, my hand must have been perfect flat, stretched out and being sweaty, it just slid off.  Totally flukey but it made for a fun sequence.  Refs didn't mention it, which is surprising because it's USA Hockey rules, way more strict than NHL rules.  We get whistles for completely innocent crease violations.

@bunnyman666 not sure when I'll see him again.  But, our weekly pick-up is tonight and half his team plays.  His captain is the woman who had the puck for the poke check/flying blocker incident and I will mention him to her just to get a rap sheet on him. 

It's a shame he's on a team with such good people on it.  I'm thinking he's like the one dark spot.  I get it, goalies get hit with sticks. But in this incident, me on my knees, puck on the ice, and a head height swing with zero acknowledgement or apology or "dude are you ok?"  It's just tacky.

Edited by seagoal

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

@coopaloop1234 yeah, excellent question.  I have no idea.  That's the first time ever that my blocker comes off.  In fact, I crank the wrist strap down pretty good and I wear an internal glove/brace thingy to keep it more snug than normal.  I'm pretty sure I dropped my right knee down and just lunged straight forward while choking up on my stick...I'm thinking when the knob got to my hand, my hand must have been perfect flat, stretched out and being sweaty, it just slid off.  Totally flukey but it made for a fun sequence.

@bunnyman666 not sure when I'll see him again.  But, our weekly pick-up is tonight and half his team plays.  His captain is the woman who had the puck for the poke check/flying blocker incident and I will mention him to her just to get a rap sheet on him. 

It's a shame he's on a team with such good people on it.  I'm thinking he's like the one dark spot.  I get it, goalies get hit with sticks. But in this incident, me on my knees, puck on the ice, and a head height swing with zero acknowledgement or apology or "dude are you ok?"  It's just tacky.

For certain it is a shame.

There are always a few Timmy McTryhards, Donny O’Dirtys and Paul Bunyans that try to weasel their way into play. I can think of a Hank DeHothead that was on a minor league team but got cut quite early and thinks a pro scout is in the stands at drop in. Thankfully nothing ugly has happened, as most of us laugh at his temper tantrums.

Currently in the midst of the spring season playoffs.

We go to play last night, take an early 2-0 lead and then get outplayed throughout the period. Shots are 16-4 for the other team.

Period ends and as we skate to our benches the power goes out. Game was eventually called and we all "went home" (drank in the dark parking lot). They've rescheduled us for a rematch but we don't get to carry over any of our goals.

Definitely a kick to the nuts.

17 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

We go to play last night, take an early 2-0 lead and then get outplayed throughout the period. Shots are 16-4 for the other team.

Period ends and as we skate to our benches the power goes out. Game was eventually called and we all "went home" (drank in the dark parking lot). They've rescheduled us for a rematch but we don't get to carry over any of our goals.

Sounds like someone is impersonating @coopaloop1234 here; the account holder that (I think) I know would never admit to being concerned that he can't score.

:giggity::giggity::giggity:

5 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Sounds like someone is impersonating @coopaloop1234 here; the account holder that (I think) I know would never admit to being concerned that he can't score.

:giggity::giggity::giggity:

:rofl:

In all fairness, my team is the definition of inconsistent. I really never know what team is showing up per period, let alone per game.

On 7/24/2019 at 4:46 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

That is stupid.  I've seen that happen in several leagues here, not losing power but other circumstances.  They always resumed where the game left off.  One game earlier this season I heard there was a game in ot and a massive brawl broke out.  They called the game, left it as a tie, and the next time the two teams played they started the game in ot and finished that off then started their scheduled game.

7 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That is stupid.  I've seen that happen in several leagues here, not losing power but other circumstances.  They always resumed where the game left off.  One game earlier this season I heard there was a game in ot and a massive brawl broke out.  They called the game, left it as a tie, and the next time the two teams played they started the game in ot and finished that off then started their scheduled game.

Yea, I'm sure if the game was in the second intermission things would've been different. Tgiufg apparently we're the only team to have ever complained about losing a lead due to a blackout. 

Didn't matter anyways, we smoked them 4-0 in the rematch game. So all is well 

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea, I'm sure if the game was in the second intermission things would've been different. Tgiufg apparently we're the only team to have ever complained about losing a lead due to a blackout. 

Didn't matter anyways, we smoked them 4-0 in the rematch game. So all is well 

Nice

On 3/28/2019 at 10:15 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

Aye, I new a ting o' too bout de tartan

Untitled.png.d8e463184e0aa7f8a33eef019c0a7c0d.png

Coop!!!  I found your prom picture!!!
Epic Prom Fails - Here's How Special This Night Really is

• Haha 1

On 7/31/2019 at 10:45 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Coop!!!  I found your prom picture!!!

Laddy there is batting out of his league!

Back on to topic, one of the teams I play for is completely funded by their company. One caveat to that though is that employees get designated roster spots. Over the summer, they hired a new guy who happens to be a goalie looking for a team. Unfortunately their hands were tied and buddy ended up taking my spot. Captain ended up calling me and apologizing for how things worked out as he genuinely feels terrible about it.

I got onto another team in the same division with guys I used to play with regularly. So not a major blow to my winter season and will be fun to play against my old team. Anyways, got this text from one of the guys and gotta say, it does make me feel all warm and fuzzy to get praise of the sort. (ignore his awful grammar and spelling)

67730228_531957974211135_7261039652981702656_n.jpg.6153233baef88c1653d0199c660d589b.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

(ignore his awful grammar and spelling)

67730228_531957974211135_7261039652981702656_n.jpg.6153233baef88c1653d0199c660d589b.jpg

And here I thought the Canadian education system was better than our education system here in ‘Merica.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

And here I thought the Canadian education system was better than our education system here in ‘Merica.

Nope cell phones have destroyed any hope at gooder english hear two

Edited by Netnewbie
  • Haha 1