eBay Gear Sightings

estogoalie

Tom Barrasso 1990-1991 set of gloves. So much gear greatness in these babies!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOM-BARRASSO-9091-Cup-Season-Pittsburgh-Penguins-Game-Worn-Used-Catcher-Blocker/332822298999?hash=item4d7dc14177:g:uRsAAOSw1NRbrXFc:sc:USPSPriority!08086!US!-1

Where to start? First, this was the time when white gear was working it's way into the NHL. So guys were still using some brown leather stuff and the new white leather gear. Remember too this is when goalies didn't change gear daily. Guys wore it all year. Spent all year breaking in next year's gear in practice.

511cZ6m1zDL._SX342_.jpg

One brand? Get lost. Cooper blockers were legit. Vaughn pads were the new drug and Vic at the time was being made by some kid named Pete Smith.

s-l1600.jpg

The gloves in the eBay ad are a Vic mitt and a John Brown blocker with a Cooper Dura-Soft palm. Basically the nash material all blocker palms are now. But in 1990.

s-l1600.jpg

I'd love these. I have no use for them. They're not cheap either. But wowee wow, they are iconic.

81a32b60d3b64573b28664cd2d1494ce_back.jp

When you look at pictures of Tom Barrasso, you can appreciate the fact that he tried EVERY TYPE and BRAND GEAR!

61CPp5zEHCL._SY445_.jpg

Heaton stuff with Pete Smith's new invented flat face pads? Sure.

barrasso.jpg

John Brown pads and mitt. Cooper blocker with a natural twig? Yeah baby!

20000315aobarrassoM.jpg

TPS glove and stick and a Vision blocker.

article_16685_2.jpg

Koho. Why not?

s-l300.jpg

tombarrasso3.jpg

Black, brown, white... blue. Tom don't discriminate!

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, estogoalie said:

H5 unit on ebay. Meigray says it came from a Flyers goalie. What ya say: Hextall or Snow? I think I saw Hextall with the white tape (?) on the tabs, so I'll say it's Hextall's....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Heaton-Helite-5-Pro-Stock-Hockey-Goalie-Chest-Protector-Size-Large-Flyers/372998828830

Well, it lacks the huge shoulder wings and rounded arm floaters that Snow made (in)famous.

I'm a bit doubtful it came from either of them, though.  The arm floaters look to be post-lockout NHL spec and mirror the Reebok P1 pro units.

Looking at the shortened cuff on the one arm, I'd bet that the wearer was a regular handed goalie. Also the salt lines and wear make it seem that this unit was worn for a long time. I'd say post Heaton being made still. H5 units are still pretty obvious under jerseys but a lot of guys were wearing these in the day.

My guess? Someone who came and left like:

71N2+keoWeL._AC_SY879_.jpg

17 hours ago, MTH said:

Looking at the shortened cuff on the one arm, I'd bet that the wearer was a regular handed goalie. Also the salt lines and wear make it seem that this unit was worn for a long time. I'd say post Heaton being made still. H5 units are still pretty obvious under jerseys but a lot of guys were wearing these in the day.

My guess? Someone who came and left like:

71N2+keoWeL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Oooh, diggin deep for that one. Alot of time on your hands with corona-lockdown I see ;) I'd say that might be a better guess than Snow or Hexy. I guess a Snow or Hexy CA would probably be more known and valuable. Good call.

• 1 month later...

Haven't been here in a while. Long delay.

Deep dig for sure. If it was a well known guy, the ad would have said who. There are tons of old Flyers gear around from all the guys who were just in their system.

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2020 at 11:37 PM, ArdeFIN said:

Not Ebay but available here in Finland. Never heard of gear is not that common these days. And this one looks quite sharp too. Perimeter lace is poorly repaired... 🙈

Brooklynite_1.jpg

I just might have bought this... There is a possibility for an interesting history over this glove. The colors might give you a clue. And if it really comes to me one day, I'll see it through as all the other gloves I have. 🤫

Looks a lot like a Vortek glove in design and construction. I remember seeing Brooklynite gear in the day. Details are fuzzy. 

Gloves & Blockers - Goalie Catch Glove - Trainers4Me

Think they mostly made goalie sticks and some roller gear too. Nitty used one of their sticks in the day:

96899575.0.jpg

Brooklynite Genesis Gloves - Senior | Pure Hockey Equipment

Archived