Advantages of Double Break Pads

Max27

Pro's: It makes the pads flex easier and provide easier 5-hole coverage for those who may need it. 

Con's: I've heard the pad will breakdown faster, and depending on who you talk to, a double break doesn't look as "cool" as a single break or no break in the outer roll. 

While I've never owned double break pads (I don't use any outer breaks in my pads), I think they are really great for goalies who want that extra flex. 

9 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

Pro's: It makes the pads flex easier and provide easier 5-hole coverage for those who may need it. 

Con's: I've heard the pad will breakdown faster, and depending on who you talk to, a double break doesn't look as "cool" as a single break or no break in the outer roll. 

While I've never owned double break pads (I don't use any outer breaks in my pads), I think they are really great for goalies who want that extra flex. 

44 minutes ago, Mike24 said:

I think it’s for people like myself who have narrow butterflies.  

bc i have a horrible 5 hole lol i heard the 2 breaks help the 5 hole

it also adheres to a more standup style, and helps if you have a super narrow butterfly 

however I feel the structural integrity on it isn’t as good as a single break which I have and can break down quicker. I also feel it can overflex to my liking. I also have a fairly narrow butterfly but don’t see any need for a double break

How often is anybody strapping a modern pad tight enough to draw the pads together in a butterfly? Honest question. I have bad hips from playing this position, and my butterfly has never been anything but narrow. I have found that stiffer pads help me drive rebounds away. My P3s do have a double internal break, however.

8 minutes ago, dualshowman said:

How often is anybody strapping a modern pad tight enough to draw the pads together in a butterfly? Honest question. I have bad hips from playing this position, and my butterfly has never been anything but narrow. I have found that stiffer pads help me drive rebounds away. My P3s do have a double internal break, however.

I had nxg's with a tight thigh strap to help with breaking in the pads ( but only double internal breaks).  The straps hurt the back of my thighs but to be fair, I bought the pads 3 skates broken in. I loosened the strap once the pad was broken in

@Max27 To second (or third) what has been said already... double break is softer and will quasi help you close 5 hole better for a narrow butterfly. That said you can also get an aggressive precurve on pads which are stiffer and essentially serve the same purpose. You can also get  taller thigh rise on straighter pads... although that could cause issues in other positions. 

Other option is work on your internal hip rotation. Granted... from a structural perspective... some guys will just have a narrow or wide butterfly based on the shape of their pelvis and femur. Coming from a guy who just came off hip surgery I can say my butterfly wasn't ever the issue... internal rotation was fine prior to surgery. But I can say that in the 4 months since surgery I have been able to get back where I was and then some. That can mostly be attributed to stretching literally every single night. Taking the time to stretch daily will pay off.  By no means do i (nor should you necessarily) have illusions of Quick or Bobs like flexibility... but it can get better.

Gotta think of your body as much of a tool as the equipment you're using. Mull over strapping setups while stretching every night... you'll be surprised what happens.

8 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Gotta think of your body as much of a tool as the equipment you're using. Mull over strapping setups while stretching every night... you'll be surprised what happens.

This right here. Well said, @BadAngle41 !

Stretching every night would have sounded crazy to "10-15 years ago" me - and that young, upstart jerk didn't even have kids! LOl! But "almost 40" me does stretching and/or roller almost every night, and sees the benefits!

15 hours ago, dualshowman said:

That's a very fair point.

I've seen double break pads with no thigh rise strap, which if you think of that, is contradictory and pointless. 

To get any utility out of a double break there needs to be a thigh strap that is fairly tight.

The curling in is the advantage 

cam-ward.jpg

106529505_display_image.jpg

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to Advantages of Double Break Pads

Archived