• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, mik said:

Are you playing in a music band?

Not at the moment. I had not played consistently in over a year. I am trying to get back there to where I feel good enough about my playing to get back to being in a band. Silent cymbals and mesh drumheads are going a long way to help, and my wife was fast asleep whilst I was jamming!

Here's my myspace page: myspace.com/dougrogers

That has my solo work. Myspace still has a great music hosting service. 

• 1 year later...
  • SaveByRichter35 changed the title to My Other Weakness, Musical Instruments

I have almost all of the pieces to make the LP Jr. Tribute into what it will be (except for the tail piece), but I am not going to change the pick up, add the kill switch, etc., until it is time to change strings. Why lunch a perfect set of strings?

Using Ernie Ball hybrid slinky 9-46 strings. Fell in love with them when I had my Van Halen phase. No reason to change, myself. The weirdest thing? My LP Jr. came with those gauges. 

I will show the modder’s delight; her name is Pfeenixx. Story to come with the photos...

One of you has to play guitar or drums, right?

33 minutes ago, Md30 said:

I play a little Bass, I am still learning the 6 string, but I have the same Orange amp to noodle around with.

That’s actually an extension cabinet for their Tiny Terror 5 watt head; there is a “Dark” version. I am (for now) using that as an extension cab for that goofy little Smokey amp sitting on top (that little purple box).

Orange’s practise/back stage amps have better sounds than the majority of practise amps. 

I am amazed at how many songs I am remembering at the moment! Two Elvis tunes, a few KISS tunes, a little Foghat, and of course my OWN tunes. 

One bit of Trivia: I was Gene Simmons for a short while in a KISS tribute band to help finish that band’s contractual obligations before they disbanded. They needed someone NOW as they were on the hook for a fair bit of money if they did not play those shows!  On record, we know how short I am; the fact that I do a decent Gene impersonation whilst singing AND speaking was what saved me, along with the shoes! Those were fun times...

Thats awesome. We saw Kiss last year, it was one of the best theatrical shows that i have seen. I picked up the guitar a few years ago because I know that since I am pushing 50,(in two weeks) my playing days are limited, and I will need something to keep me occupied during the winter months. 

10 minutes ago, Md30 said:

Thats awesome. We saw Kiss last year, it was one of the best theatrical shows that i have seen. I picked up the guitar a few years ago because I know that since I am pushing 50,(in two weeks) my playing days are limited, and I will need something to keep me occupied during the winter months. 

You can’t ever say that KISS ever phones in a performance; that’s the work ethic I try to put into every show I played. Even my wife agrees that a KISS show is worth every penny as they put their heart and soul into it!

Happy early birthday! You’re taking up a good additional hobby. I hope you have many tendy days ahead!

Thank you for the early birthday wishes. I don't often post, but i do read the posts daily. and I wish you a speedy recovery. I also noticed you too are a cyclist. I have been trying to get back on the bike as much as possible, but I have been off a bit do to a lower back injury in March which cost me the last few games of the year. I can't ride comfortably on my carbon bike right now, so I bought a comfort bike to log a few miles. I am now one with the 60 and over crowd on the bike path. As for my tendy days, we are hitting the ice Sunday for the first time since March, so I will see how it goes.

On 9/13/2018 at 9:09 AM, Md30 said:

Thank you for the early birthday wishes. I don't often post, but i do read the posts daily. and I wish you a speedy recovery. I also noticed you too are a cyclist. I have been trying to get back on the bike as much as possible, but I have been off a bit do to a lower back injury in March which cost me the last few games of the year. I can't ride comfortably on my carbon bike right now, so I bought a comfort bike to log a few miles. I am now one with the 60 and over crowd on the bike path. As for my tendy days, we are hitting the ice Sunday for the first time since March, so I will see how it goes.

58 minutes ago, Md30 said:

I tried a 5 string, but I couldn’t get use to that extra string. I bought an Ibanez to see if I could do it. I liked having the B, but i kept using it accidentally thinking it was my E.

Then I'm guessing a 6 string would be out eh?

227631_10518680318_9706_n.jpg.185c19effe30da95b8c4a76e4fd15e8b.jpg

No longer have it anymore. Loved it, just not practical for my playing.

A few others I've had and sold over the years.

230776_10518735318_986_n.jpg.20bbf5d32269e1b74f875a3df26d1e0d.jpg

226411_10518670318_1842_n.jpg.24c3a269ac453462d7e38df28fed52d7.jpg

Still have this one, was my first. Defretted it.

228781_10518715318_227_n.jpg.fc6d8fc2ca75c0e42909eae1afe9cc3e.jpg

30 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Then I'm guessing a 6 string would be out eh?

227631_10518680318_9706_n.jpg.185c19effe30da95b8c4a76e4fd15e8b.jpg

No longer have it anymore. Loved it, just not practical for my playing.

A few others I've had and sold over the years.

230776_10518735318_986_n.jpg.20bbf5d32269e1b74f875a3df26d1e0d.jpg

226411_10518670318_1842_n.jpg.24c3a269ac453462d7e38df28fed52d7.jpg

Still have this one, was my first. Defretted it.

228781_10518715318_227_n.jpg.fc6d8fc2ca75c0e42909eae1afe9cc3e.jpg

I couldn't even begin to figure out a 6 string bass. I feel at home with my Fender Jazz Bass.

33 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea, had that bass for just over a year before I sold it. It was tons of fun to goof around with, but it can be a handful. *hehe pun ehe*

I only played four strings mainly due to me learning only on a four string. When I had my stint as Gene in a KISS tribute band, it was a good thing I never tried a five string or more.  Can’t imagine if I showed up with a five string Peavey at the KISS gig (I played a Gibson Ripper). I had a lead on an AXE bass with Kramer aluminium neck,  but it would have cost me more than I earned in those gigs!

Installing my Tone Zone has been interesting. For one thing, the replacement pick up is actually Mini Humbucker sized. For another, it is not exactly a drop-in to fit, as the mounting plate is not made to fit the mini humbucker from the factory. This is not a big deal- bunnyman can make it work! 

First step is to modify the mounting bracket to fit the pick up cover so that I can use the bracket to fit the new pick up into the guitar. The second step is to cut the new cover to expose the coils. The third is to mount the humbucker in the pick guard. The fourth step is to finish the installation of the pick up, the kill switch, then put Humpty Dumpty back together again. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Archived