• Brown
    • CCM / Reebok / Koho / Heaton
    • Simmons
    • Passau
    • Vaughn
    • Warrior
    • McKenny

On 4/10/2017 at 11:15 AM, TheGoalNet said:

You should post all your YouTube reviews in the review section, I am sure people would love to check them out 

I'll try and get around to that soon.

On 4/10/2017 at 11:22 AM, A10airknight said:

Hills, your review was why I went with the 2400 rib protection on my 2200 unit. Thanks for that! I would have gotten the Russian spec too, but my arms were too short for the pieces to fit.

Glad it helped!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm using a Heaton Z, probably the last Heaton model made unfortunately not the best they made. It was adequate but since I have had it a long time now I am starting to get stung and lightly bruised, and it really smells bad now, even after a wash, it is time to search for something else. Just can't drop $300+ on a C/A.

2 hours ago, old G said:

I'm using a Heaton Z, probably the last Heaton model made unfortunately not the best they made. It was adequate but since I have had it a long time now I am starting to get stung and lightly bruised, and it really smells bad now, even after a wash, it is time to search for something else. Just can't drop $300+ on a C/A.

Lots out there for under that... I got a used Vaughn 2200 for $150 Canadian... just got to shop around. As much as I cannot tolerate GGSU, their classifieds are still good

3 hours ago, old G said:

Old G, how tall are you? If you fit into an XL, we can talk offline about a V6 Howard spec

50 minutes ago, NC_0029 said:

Was in a Vaughn Ventus LT90 for 2 seasons. Very light but after time the protection wore down. Just got a CCM premier pro and it feels great but a bit heavy coming from a Vaughn.

Did you get the 2015 style or the just released 2017 style?

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 3:39 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Old G, how tall are you? If you fit into an XL, we can talk offline about a V6 Howard spec

I'm a senior medium allday long. I will keep a look out for something pro used. Thanks anyway.?

• 10 months later...

First chestie was a low level Reebok.  Then a Simmons 996.  Then a Gen 1 Passau.  Then a few others, including a Vaughn and several used John Browns.  Then scored a Gen 2 Passau and then a used Passau Pro Pack.

Reebok:  Arms too long, too stiff.  My bad, didn't know what I was doing.

Simmons:  Decent, but started getting too many stingers.

Gen 1 Passau:  Overall very good, but the elbow protection was severely lacking.  Took a shot off the elbow that caused me to lose feeling for a day.

John Brown:  I love John Brown chesties.  I really do.  But they're too hot for me.  I overheat in them.

Vaughn V6 2200 (I think):  Good and mobile, but the arms well and truly suck more than Stormy Daniels.

Passau Gen 2 and Pro Pack:  Not quite the Holy Grail, but pretty darn close.  Mobile, protective, and I don't overheat.  They redesigned the elbow protection and it's much better.  

Recent history: Vaughn Epic 8###something, Bauer Pro TGC Spec, Bauer TotalONE TGC Spec, Bauer Reactor 9000 TGC Spec, and now in the Vaughn SLR Pro Carbon.  

I think I posted something similar in the Pants/C&A thread for why I moved on from each one.  None of the Bauers had any protection issues, it was purely fit, whether arms or coming untucked on one side.  The 37.5 technology in the Bauers is nice for not really overheating, I never felt like I was drenched or weighed down either.  

The main difference I feel between the SLR and the Bauers is that the SLR feels like it's more integrated with me while the Bauers felt almost like an exo-skeleton.  Again, never had issues with Bauer protection, but once I started using the SLR it felt like the unit just kind of hugged my body and moves with me really well.  Plus the body seems to be a bit longer and stays tucked very nicely now.

Haven't used the SLR long enough to really weigh in on the arm protection, but I did get the Pro Carbon, so hopefully it holds up pretty well.  I'd like to be one of those guys who is still using the same C/A for ever and ever.

18 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Haven't used the SLR long enough to really weigh in on the arm protection, but I did get the Pro Carbon, so hopefully it holds up pretty well.  I'd like to be one of those guys who is still using the same C/A for ever and ever.

If it's anything like the LT90 (which i've had since release), you'll be more than fine. A few stingers here or there in the upper bicep area from some very hard shots I don't react to, but that's pretty uncommon. 

I wear a Warrior ritual G2 classic pro. I don't have much to compare it too, other than a Brown unit I wore over a decade ago. I always found that one too bulky and hot. I like my current Warrior unit, I feel pretty mobile and have only had 1 or 2 stingers on the bicep. It does come untucked on my blocker side sometimes, but I think that is an operator issue. Other than that, I don't think about it much, which is a good thing. I'm always interested in hearing peoples opinions on other units though.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Chesties, knee pads, glove, masks, and skates are my opinion on the gear that people are the most picky about in order. 

Thats is why I feel these categories have the most diversified responses 

Exactly why I think hearing what everyone is wearing and why is helpful to everyone.  The information we can all share is invaluable in gear buying for everyone in the community.

It would also be awesome to have the few reps 0 @Kirk3190 and @Brians_Joz providing some other thoughts on our likes and dislikes.

@cwarnar I have a Passau gen 2 that I had been very happy with, but a few months ago I started getting really bad stingers on the arms. I’m starting to play with some better players so I just think I needed something more protective. I also dabbled with a SR Ritual which was very light but was the wrong size for me. 

Picked up a well-priced SZ3 and have worn it for about 10 sessions so far. If you are looking for something that looks and plays big but doesn’t really feel big or bulky, it’s a great choice. Perhaps Optik will be similar. The Hexair keeps it cool and I really dig the adjustable clavicle/neck guard. I’ve taken lots of bombs off the body and arms and haven’t felt anything. It’s changing my game to some extent because I’m less afraid of taking pucks. 

It’s a Brian’s unit so the build quality is excellent and it’s as adjustable as any other unit out there. One thing I really like that I had not seen discussed in any reviews is that the main side Velcro straps on the body are designed in such a way that you can totally undo them but they don’t disconnect, you just let out all the slack and it makes it super easy to dress and undress. Anyway if you have the chance to try one out I definitely suggest giving it a look. If it makes any difference I use mine tucked in to my pants with suspenders over top. 

I wore a JB503 for nearly 10+ years and it was great in every sense. Had to chuck it cause it got caught in a basement flood and grew mold.

I then wore the Mckenney 870 (white unit) for a couple years. Tried a used Mckenney 890 (gold wings one), it was a size too small so I sold it.

Tried a used 1st gen Passau, again it turned out a size too small so I sold it.

Got my hands on a Pro return Pro-spec H5. I loved how streamlined and non-bulky it was. Great arm protection, great wing protection, a little flimsy on the stomach and not much in rib protection. If I could score a new one again in XL, I'd be super happy. I'd just beef up the stomach and add a chest plate like I did on the old one. I ended up donating it to a senior (60+) men's shinny league I subbed for now and then. They were super happy to receive it.

Now I've been back into a Mckenney 870 (the 2016 model but with the 890 arms of the same year) and it's ok. It's like an oversized version of my H5. I do feel some shots now and then, have had the odd stinger in the weak spots but noting that killed. It could use some improvements. Unless you got Brodeur skills and experience, I wouldn't use it in the pros. That's just asking for dead arms and belly stingers.

What am I considering in the near future possibly: Passau Gen2 or Mckenney 890 or Boddam JPB with a few mods. Brown is always interesting should the budget permit.

I'm really shocked by how many guys have Simmons units.  I've heard they're protective... But they're also built by Boddam, and I HATED my JPB unit from them.

@Punisher Goalie Brian's really does not get their due when it comes to chest protectors, that much I know.  Not that its a major selling point for me, but seeing how many pro's are using their units (most have straight retail versions unlike most other brands) it goes to show the quality and protection you're getting.  I'm really hoping to get the Gen 1 Sub Zero and get a feel for their product.

@RichMan McKenney is super underated.  Best overall bang for buck out there.  I've always wondered if Trevor would offer any type of beef up.  I know I got less stingers in McKenney than I did in the Vaughns I've used.

37 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I'm really shocked by how many guys have Simmons units.  I've heard they're protective... But they're also built by Boddam, and I HATED my JPB unit from them.

@Punisher Goalie Brian's really does not get their due when it comes to chest protectors, that much I know.  Not that its a major selling point for me, but seeing how many pro's are using their units (most have straight retail versions unlike most other brands) it goes to show the quality and protection you're getting.  I'm really hoping to get the Gen 1 Sub Zero and get a feel for their product.

@RichMan McKenney is super underated.  Best overall bang for buck out there.  I've always wondered if Trevor would offer any type of beef up.  I know I got less stingers in McKenney than I did in the Vaughns I've used.

JPB has to be the most streamlined unit available at the moment. What did you hate about it?

Archived