• Brown
    • CCM / Reebok / Koho / Heaton
    • Simmons
    • Passau
    • Vaughn
    • Warrior
    • McKenny

1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

McKenney is super underated.  Best overall bang for buck out there.  I've always wondered if Trevor would offer any type of beef up. 

I used the McKenney 870 for a couple of years and it was good. I have a new 890 and it has been great so far, definitely beefed up.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'v stated in different threads and pulled no punches on how I disslike Bauer products and their brand overall. But that Nike Bauer Supreme One95 unit (which has gone on to become the 1S) is my favorite. So long as they're still making it or pumping something that feels like that, I'll keep buying. To be specific, I have the NXG version at the moment. Full credit to them for that creation. I hear often goalies misuse the word "love" when it comes to a certain piece of equipment. I hear "I love my 961 mask, I love my Sher-Wood stick, I love my new Supreme skates" blah blah blah. Shut up, no you don't. You just like it. lol  For me, when I say I love a certain piece of equipment, it means I cannot play or rather would not want to play with anything else. And I do love that chest/arm unit. It's top notch. Along with a 590 glove by Lefebvre, there are no other piece I wana play without.

46 minutes ago, RichMan said:

JPB has to be the most streamlined unit available at the moment. What did you hate about it?

The body and arms seem to move as 2 seperate pieces.   I found the arms to be okay but still had a few stingers.  I also couldn't get the fit right... I found the body would shift too much and I would take pucks where I had no protection

Last three chest units I owed...Simmons 997.  It had good mobility and decent protection.  I did add some extra under the shoulder floaters.  Next I owed a Passau Gen 1.  Really liked it.  Comfortable, easy to move in, and better protection than the 997.  After about 3 years (300+ sessions), started to feel shots fairly regularly in the arms and shoulders.  Bought a Brown 2400 Russian spec.  First off, it ain’t cheap but fit was bang on (of course with having to provide about a dozen body measurements...you’d kind of expect that).  I have used it 2 years, have yet to get a stinger.  I don’t really notice the heat but it’s the only chest unit I have so without a comparison from game to game it’s hard to really comment. I did notice the break in period.  The Simmons and Passau took hardly anytime to feel comfortable in them.  The Brown, I’d say a good 6 months before I felt really good in it, however I suspect this will last me a long time.

I´m in Bauer NXG for games and One95 (previous one before NXG) for practices. Both are the same construction with minor changes. It is the best fitting unit fro me. Only complaint is about elbow cups on NGX, they are just mediocre.

10 hours ago, cwarnar said:

I'm really shocked by how many guys have Simmons units.  I've heard they're protective... But they're also built by Boddam, and I HATED my JPB unit from them.

@Punisher Goalie Brian's really does not get their due when it comes to chest protectors, that much I know.  Not that its a major selling point for me, but seeing how many pro's are using their units (most have straight retail versions unlike most other brands) it goes to show the quality and protection you're getting.  I'm really hoping to get the Gen 1 Sub Zero and get a feel for their product.

@RichMan McKenney is super underated.  Best overall bang for buck out there.  I've always wondered if Trevor would offer any type of beef up.  I know I got less stingers in McKenney than I did in the Vaughns I've used.

I didn't find the Simmons all that protective.  It's ok, but it breaks down pretty quickly.

15 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Picked up a well-priced SZ3 and have worn it for about 10 sessions so far. If you are looking for something that looks and plays big but doesn’t really feel big or bulky, it’s a great choice. Perhaps Optik will be similar. The Hexair keeps it cool and I really dig the adjustable clavicle/neck guard. I’ve taken lots of bombs off the body and arms and haven’t felt anything. It’s changing my game to some extent because I’m less afraid of taking pucks.

You and I have very different experiences with Brian's C/A's.

They definitely have excellent build quality and the units look and feel super protective, but damn do they not only look big, they feel big. Only the CCM Premier felt bulkier to me.

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

They definitely have excellent build quality and the units look and feel super protective, but damn do they not only look big, they feel big. Only the CCM Premier felt bulkier to me.

Which one did you use Coop?  

On 2/28/2018 at 7:37 AM, jeff da goalie said:

I didn't find the Simmons all that protective.  It's ok, but it breaks down pretty quickly.

Agreed. 

I've used the CCM AB 500 (P1 clone), Brown 2200, Battram, Heaton Helite Z, Vision 9500, V4, Simmons 997, McKenney 890, Warrior Ritual Pro 1st Gen, Brian's Subzero 1st gen. 
I'm very particular with my units, and my favourite unit is probably my Vision 9500 - great coverage, and sublime mobility - but it was falling apart on me. 
Currently in Warrior Ritual Pro 1st Gen unit size large with Subzero 1 medium arms, and some air cushions from the McKenney velcro'd into the shoulder floaters. I prefer having 1 large 2" strap on the harness as i feel it is more secure than multiple 1" straps, and it is easier to get buckled up anyways. 

If I were to switch i'd likely end up in a RGT or SLR Pro

5a96d3c92fdaa_WhatsAppImage2018-02-18at1_57_27AM.thumb.jpeg.55f113ba5ff8a2b4874d901afb79b808.jpeg

I selected Passau in the poll (I have a Gen 2 ProPack) and I love it.  It has protection, mobility, and it's light weight.  I also have a Brown 2400 which I also love except for the weight.  I recently bought a pro-return Vaughn V7 Carbon CA on which the jury is still out.  Great weight and protection, but I don't like the fact that the front and back are easy to detach because of the velcro only connection.

I'll probably order another Passau when this one dies, or I might try the new Optik once it is available and has some reviews.

-steve

1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

That is one awesome FrankenChest @Kayen.  Why the swap to the Sub arms?  

@cwarnar I sold my Warrior arms long ago as they were too long. Actually saw them pop up on GGSU last week (you'll see the extra row of eyelets reinforced on a leather wear strip). 
I've been using CCM AB 500 arms which have a large gap in forearm protection and not the best flex. Giving the Subzero arms a spin (have had 3 ice times in them so far in this configuration), and I am enjoying the higher flexibility and lighter weight these arms gave compared to my CCMs. I wouldn't mind the CCM arms if I had an extended elbow cup in there a la what Bauer and Vaughn currently use in their units, as despite being Sr level arms, are very very beefy and protective, gap aside. 

I'll be able to provide more feedback on this after next week as I will be playing every night from March 1st-5th, as well as the 7th,8th, 10th, and 12th. If I had new gear to break in... they'll be broken in after that. 

Currently in a CCM Premier... and your assessment @cwarnar is pretty spot on. I'm on the taller side of short i'd like to think, and this unit just isn't mobile enough. Previously wore a Vaughn Epic 8800 which was very mobile and protective... but broke down faster than expected. Before that... was in a Brian's Alite. Another good unit that had it's day in the sun, but when it started to go it was pretty obvious. Before that... I don't know... memory isn't what it used to be... had my eggs scrambled too many times probably.

I am in the process of buying a new unit as well though... and decided to go the Passau route. The ability to take Passau's Pro Pack, spec in what I've liked from my previous units, and of course adding some visual customization was too much of a good thing for me to pass up.

Sidenote: I read a fair amount on these threads about stingers to their C/A and to be honest I don't get that many... never really have. Maybe I suck and the stinger shots all go in... but I'd like to think I just stay pretty square. I dunno... just find it interesting.

39 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Sidenote: I read a fair amount on these threads about stingers to their C/A and to be honest I don't get that many... never really have. Maybe I suck and the stinger shots all go in... but I'd like to think I just stay pretty square. I dunno... just find it interesting.

Interesting... once I had my Vaughn beefed up by Dennis, it was night and day.  Prior to I would not only feel shots but have bruises to show for it.  Now I can feel them but no bruising.

i know from past experiences as units begin to break down you really start to feel more of the shots, especially in the arms of the unit.  Otherwise it seems to be those “seeing eye singles”that miss padding or just catch you in an awkward spot.  

1 minute ago, cwarnar said:

Interesting... once I had my Vaughn beefed up by Dennis, it was night and day.  Prior to I would not only feel shots but have bruises to show for it.  Now I can feel them but no bruising.

i know from past experiences as units begin to break down you really start to feel more of the shots, especially in the arms of the unit.  Otherwise it seems to be those “seeing eye singles”that miss padding or just catch you in an awkward spot.  

Yeah... on rare occasions I'll catch one of those in that awkward to pad spot of upper ribs/just below the arm pit. But I chalk that up to either a man on the back side who was left alone or my own inability to square up in time. Really hurts the most when they hit you there and still end up in the net. 

I have a an slr chestie. If you guys would like a review I can write one up.

But so far I love it. It is a bit more bulkier than my previous epic 8404. But then again I moved a size up and went pro retail. Recently had a stinger last Saturday on my left bicep. 

3 minutes ago, itis121 said:

I have a an slr chestie. If you guys would like a review I can write one up.

But so far I love it. It is a bit more bulkier than my previous epic 8404. But then again I moved a size up and went pro retail. Recently had a stinger last Saturday on my left bicep. 

Do it. I've got the LT90 and I want to see what differences there are between the two units.

8 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Interesting. Keep in mind I wear it with the side Velcro really cranked down and I wear suspenders over the shoulder floaters. That could be contributing to my feeling like it’s more compact than you experienced. 

2 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Interesting. Keep in mind I wear it with the side Velcro really cranked down and I wear suspenders over the shoulder floaters. That could be contributing to my feeling like it’s more compact than you experienced. 

Plus my experience is in store only. So I won't pretend to know for sure. 

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Do it. I've got the LT90 and I want to see what differences there are between the two units.

Im writing one up now so expect to see it in a couple of days. I too wanna know the difference between the two units. But the most I can compare it to is an epic 8404 and a V5

Currently wearing a Simmons 997 Chesty. Having an issue where the heart guard protrudes on the bottom, leading to poor vision during scrambles and dead pucks. Forgive my shitty drawing, but this should make it a bit more clearer on the issue.

The heart guard is placed underneath the floaters and suspenders are underneath the heart guard. Really considering another chesty that might not have this issue. Any suggestions on keeping it down without compromising the protection?

adada.png

Archived