• Brown
    • CCM / Reebok / Koho / Heaton
    • Simmons
    • Passau
    • Vaughn
    • Warrior
    • McKenny

3 hours ago, WizYuan said:

Currently wearing a Simmons 997 Chesty. Having an issue where the heart guard protrudes on the bottom, leading to poor vision during scrambles and dead pucks. Forgive my shitty drawing, but this should make it a bit more clearer on the issue.

The heart guard is placed underneath the floaters and suspenders are underneath the heart guard. Really considering another chesty that might not have this issue. Any suggestions on keeping it down without compromising the protection?

adada.png

I've noticed that on Simmons units the heart guard seems oversized and sits outside the floaters:

download.jpeg.6a3817afcc6190f9ab3e13454b1c1b78.jpeg

Is there any way you can keep it pinned down behind them?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I've noticed that on Simmons units the heart guard seems oversized and sits outside the floaters:

download.jpeg.6a3817afcc6190f9ab3e13454b1c1b78.jpeg

Is there any way you can keep it pinned down behind them?

Brian's had this on GNetik. There were actually Velcro tabs connecting the floaters that the heart guard sat on. It created a small air pocket to further deaden the puck impact. I found it too bulky or thick after awhile and wanted to more easily see my feet. I moved the tabs in front of the heart guard and moved it behind the floaters. 

Beggining of this video shows it well

I have a 996 and I’ve placed my heart guard under the floaters and tied the floaters together to keep the guard in place. Been like that for a year no movement. Not closed all the way but maybe a 6” loop connecting the bottom elastic where floaters attach.

Recently Retired: Warrior Ritual Pro G1 unit for the last several years... Medium body and arms, worn tucked with many modifications and a couple of repairs. This unit saw literally thousands of pucks over it's lifetime and always performed very well. It was light, mobile and had great middle chest and arm protection. Only downside was upper rib protection under the blocker had a "sweet spot" that someone would manage to find about once a season or so... 

Replaced: Warrior Ritual Pro G4... size Large, worn untucked with shortened arms and modification to the shoulder/back plate connecting straps. 

G1-Front.jpg

G1-Rear.jpg

22 minutes ago, CG35 said:

Recently Retired: Warrior Ritual Pro G1 unit for the last several years... Medium body and arms, worn tucked with many modifications and a couple of repairs. This unit saw literally thousands of pucks over it's lifetime and always performed very well. It was light, mobile and had great middle chest and arm protection. Only downside was upper rib protection under the blocker had a "sweet spot" that someone would manage to find about once a season or so... 

Replaced: Warrior Ritual Pro G4... size Large, worn untucked with shortened arms and modification to the shoulder/back plate connecting straps. 

How do you like the G4?  The Roboarms better this go around?

Basically game ready off the shelf, but settles in best after about 3 good games/practices. Was a little different going back to an untucked fit, but really enjoying it again now... never tucked before the G1. Rib protection is much beefier... but I think this was originally addressed in the G2 model... if not, it is now. It is definitely imperative that you get the arms sized so the hinge point on the elbow floater is in the correct position... Warrior provides two sets of holes on the arms for this, but I still required a little further modification. Proper sizing eliminates the chances that the floaters inside corner interfere's with your trapper cuff during rotation and ensures you'll get the most mobility from the design. I don't anticipate any "lock-up" or cracking issues in the arms as I do believe this was also addressed in the G2 design and is very similar in the G4 with the larger holes and stitching across the front of the floater "guide bar". I never had issues holding onto pucks in the G1... even with all the plastic... same holds true in the G4 and they have added some additional material to soften some of these areas a little more, but pucks will still play "hot" up into the glass off your body. The more squared off design of the shoulders will absolutely make you look like a monster in comparison with the G1... lots of comments on this so far.

G4.jpg

Update: I'll provide a full review of the G4 C/A including pictures of my modifications, etc. following official release... most likely early April I think...

• 2 weeks later...

I've switched!!!

I sold my Factory modded V6 2200 and have been using a G2 Classic Senior unit and have nothing but positive things to say about it.  Even for a senior unit I have had no issues with bruising or stingers.

The Hockey Shop in Surrey is having an end of season sale and I grabbed a Warrior GT Pro chest... Can't wait to get it.  The Warrior G2 I've been using seems to offer similar mobility to the Vaughn units but have some extra beef and some extra width as a blocking unit.  I'm hoping to do a full review on it after a few months of use.

Bauer, CCM, Vaughn and Warrior units all discounted:

http://goal.thehockeyshop.com/protective/chest-protectors/senior.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2018 at 2:13 AM, mik said:

I´m in Bauer NXG for games and One95 (previous one before NXG) for practices. Both are the same construction with minor changes. It is the best fitting unit fro me. Only complaint is about elbow cups on NGX, they are just mediocre.

Yes, lots of love for Bauer here, I'm in my NXG, I do like the unit very much but after 4 years now the unit is heavy and it's noticeable in pickup hockey after an hour.  I really want to try the 1s, I hear it's a lot lighter.  Might as well maybe wait for the 2s?

I wonder if anyone has a review with respect to the 1s chesty?

4 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Yes, lots of love for Bauer here, I'm in my NXG, I do like the unit very much but after 4 years now the unit is heavy and it's noticeable in pickup hockey after an hour.  I really want to try the 1s, I hear it's a lot lighter.  Might as well maybe wait for the 2s?

I wonder if anyone has a review with respect to the 1s chesty?

Sorry for the multiple messages, can't seem to find out how to delete.

Light and flexible. But there are some material issues (weak nylon at the shoulder floaters), elbow cup is cheap garbage, belly protection.....is not as good as NXG. If you want to save weight, I'd go Vaughn instead. Much better built.

Archived