Issue with pads- mold growing on them

Max27

After my games and practices i take my pads and lay them so the leg chanel, internals and what not are all facing out and i leave my bag open to air dry everything and noticed some specs of mold growing around the thigh rise, and around the sides of the leg channel. Any way i can clean this?

Leaving your gear in the bag will cause SERIOUS danger for infection. I was your age when I used to leave everything in my bag. The smell was appalling, but my mitts (I was  little bastard left wing when I was your age) were perfect for the facewash (we were in shields in Junior hockey); however- I had the rash that would NOT  go away. It was so bad that I had to replace EVERYTHING! Thank G’d it was cheaper forward gear. I was on a VERY strong antibiotic for 21 days!!!

Knowing now that I most likely had a STAPH infection back then, I was playing Russian Roulette with my health. Staph is now MUCH worse than when I was your age thirty years ago.

PLEASE do not take this as me yelling at you- I like you well enough to share my experience so that you don’t end up suffering from what I had, if not WORSE!

@SaveByRichter35 is right that a Clorox wipe should kill the mould; @coopaloop1234 is right on the airing out and using a fan.

I do apologise for what seems like me yelling at you; I don’t want you to suffer the same fate. At least there is the Esporta machine these days unlike back in my day. It would be a good idea to get your equipment professionally cleaned for your safety.

37 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You really should be taking all of your gear out of the bag, separating them and letting them air dry fully. I play 2-4 times a week too, all my gear is out and drying. If need be, I park a fan in front.

Don't be a forward and leave your gear in your bag to "dry". ?

id bring it inside if it didnt stink up my house, and if i had a spot to put it in?  

No extra rooms, i dont have space in my room, and i dont wanna leave all my gear exposed outside bc of the risk of someone stealing it

27 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Leaving your gear in the bag will cause SERIOUS danger for infection. I was your age when I used to leave everything in my bag. The smell was appalling, but my mitts (I was  little bastard left wing when I was your age) were perfect for the facewash (we were in shields in Junior hockey); however- I had the rash that would NOT  go away. It was so bad that I had to replace EVERYTHING! Thank G’d it was cheaper forward gear. I was on a VERY strong antibiotic for 21 days!!!

Knowing now that I most likely had a STAPH infection back then, I was playing Russian Roulette with my health. Staph is now MUCH worse than when I was your age thirty years ago.

PLEASE do not take this as me yelling at you- I like you well enough to share my experience so that you don’t end up suffering from what I had, if not WORSE!

@SaveByRichter35 is right that a Clorox wipe should kill the mould; @coopaloop1234 is right on the airing out and using a fan.

I do apologise for what seems like me yelling at you; I don’t want you to suffer the same fate. At least there is the Esporta machine these days unlike back in my day. It would be a good idea to get your equipment professionally cleaned for your safety.

doesnt seem like ur yelling at me lol i dont wanna get a rash, gonna see if theres any space for me to set up a spot to let everything air out,

@SaveByRichter35 i sprayed clorox on some paper towels today and rubbed it with it, didnt want to overkill it with the clorox, i asked my dad what to do and he said to use a small amt of it on a towel, so i did so

16 minutes ago, Max27 said:

id bring it inside if it didnt stink up my house, and if i had a spot to put it in?  

No extra rooms, i dont have space in my room, and i dont wanna leave all my gear exposed outside bc of the risk of someone stealing it

In my 20s I lived in a tiny studio apartment and had no place other than my kitchen for my gear.

Good thing I never cooked...

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

After my games and practices i take my pads and lay them so the leg chanel, internals and what not are all facing out and i leave my bag open to air dry everything and noticed some specs of mold growing around the thigh rise, and around the sides of the leg channel. Any way i can clean this?

Vinegar works as well and wont affect the color.

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

doesnt seem like ur yelling at me lol i dont wanna get a rash, gonna see if theres any space for me to set up a spot to let everything air out,

@SaveByRichter35 i sprayed clorox on some paper towels today and rubbed it with it, didnt want to overkill it with the clorox, i asked my dad what to do and he said to use a small amt of it on a towel, so i did so

Cool. Some people when I would go on my tirade would say things like “stop yelling at me evil bunny devil dude!” and crap like that! 

I do NOT want anyone to suffer like that!

35 minutes ago, MangoRhinehart said:

Vinegar works as well and wont affect the color.

ill give it try

44 minutes ago, seagoal said:

In my 20s I lived in a tiny studio apartment and had no place other than my kitchen for my gear.

Good thing I never cooked...

ha

7 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Cool. Some people when I would go on my tirade would say things like “stop yelling at me evil bunny devil dude!” and crap like that! 

I do NOT want anyone to suffer like that!

ha yeah it sounded bad (your rash)

After every use, I lay my gear out and fan dry.  Then I spray it down with an alcohol/vinegar mixture, let it sit for a few minutes, then fan dry again.  

Take the time to keep your gear clean and dry, it will last longer, smell better and avoid any health risks, even if it says its anti-microbial.  Wore a pair of anti-microbial under armor one time after a 2 month break, thought they were cleaned after the last use.  The ensuing rash led me to believe otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, dualshowman said:

You may want to wipe up some of the bleached area with a damp cloth to ensure that the chemicals in bleach aren't damaging the nylon and other polymers. 

im letting it air dry, so far so good. if anything stays damp im gonna definetly clean it.

I went over the mold 2 times w clorox bleach spray and it worked like a charm. 

52 minutes ago, Max27 said:

im letting it air dry, so far so good. if anything stays damp im gonna definetly clean it.

I went over the mold 2 times w clorox bleach spray and it worked like a charm. 

Right, but it's not as if the chlorine evaporates. Dried 'bleach' still has considerable chlorine content and may even crystalize. There is little chance that this is beneficial to the material on your pads... but they are YOUR pads, not anyone else's.

Edited to add a postscript:

I frequently use bleach in the laundry and on kitchen and bathroom surfaces, but all of these applications require a rinse water step after the disinfectant step. Look up the MSDS and decide for yourself: https://www.thecloroxcompany.com/brands/safety-information/sds/

Archived