G-Netik 8.0 SR trapper - anybody buy this new?

Lucky Pucker

I was in a local shop Friday, checking out blocker trapper sets. Although not posted in the store, I'm pretty sure there was a "Free Divorce with purchase" promotion going on, so I ultimately left with (only) my sharpened skates. If I make it to December/January without getting injured, I'm going to replace my second hand Vaughn V5 set - which I really like, but not enough to keep if I can get something new that will match my Chicago coloured pads.

Talking to the owner (who had done a great deal on my pads), he said he could do a great deal on the GNetik 8.0 blocker trapper set. I love how the Brian's stuff looks, and there seems to be so many great reviews, so I was thrilled! Then I tried them on... It wasn't the break (I don't think), but man that thumb stall felt weird to me. And not sure about the rather large wrist pillow/pad on the inside of the cuff. I want to love this set, but shouldn't I love the feel too, good deal or no? I tried on a set of the Vaughn V8 for reference, and it felt great - but a) not clear if he could deal on those, and b) they were (only) black and white. So:

Has anyone gone from Vaughn to Brian's? Was there an adjustment period but ultimately you were happy with the Brian's?

I use Bauer Supreme and Vaughn Velocity gloves. Bought custom G-netik from my friend at spring for practice purposes (and wanted to try Brians gloves ;) ). It is a lot different glove (thumb, straping, closure-fit...), so I needed few practices to get used to. But it is good glove, that I keep and use for practices (it has NHL practice palm) and even for games sometimes. So to your question, there was adjustment period and I´m happy with Brians, though Bauer Supreme glove works best for me.

4 minutes ago, mik said:

I use Bauer Supreme and Vaughn Velocity gloves. Bought custom G-netik from my friend at spring for practice purposes (and wanted to try Brians gloves ;) ). It is a lot different glove (thumb, straping, closure-fit...), so I needed few practices to get used to. But it is good glove, that I keep and use for practices (it has NHL practice palm) and even for games sometimes. So to your question, there was adjustment period and I´m happy with Brians, though Bauer Supreme glove works best for me.

Thanks Mik! Appreciate this reply. Just like any gear I suppose; some stuff works for one, but not another. It's excruciating to maybe have to pass on Brian's though - their stuff looks soooo good, IMO.

2 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

@Lucky Pucker Never tried a Brian’s catch glove, though I found the blocker palms are annoyingly gigantic! I may try a Brian’s catch one of these days. Their stuff, even their import stuff, is VERY well put together.

Ugh - you're not helping - LOL! Agree on construction, and they enjoy a great reputation.... but I found the blocker hand a wee bit tight, actually. Anyway, given that I'm relatively new to goalieing, I'm tempted to assume that I should just suck it up, score a sweet deal on some baller gloves, and learn to LOVE the Brian's. I mean, what do I know, right?

14 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Ugh - you're not helping - LOL! Agree on construction, and they enjoy a great reputation.... but I found the blocker hand a wee bit tight, actually. Anyway, given that I'm relatively new to goalieing, I'm tempted to assume that I should just suck it up, score a sweet deal on some baller gloves, and learn to LOVE the Brian's. I mean, what do I know, right?

If this tells you anything, I got an intermediate horsehide palm on my Factory Mad block. It’s a teeny bit tight, but since it IS leather, it will stretch to fit. 

If it’s a good deal, do a bunnyman: buy now, beg forgiveness later! It is MUCH easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. Stole that quote from good ol’ Tommy Lee!

I went from Vaughn V7 XR gloves (really like them) to Brian's Optik and could not be happier. The break felt a little awkward at first but after 2-3 uses I am absolutely in love with the glove. It swallows up pucks and never have pop outs.

34 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Brian's gloves have a unique feel to them. I can't say I'm a fan.

Only you can decide which factors determine your purchase, but honestly, if you don't love that glove at first sight, you're probably not going to love it down the road.

Glad to read that part, cus I kinda wondered if it was just me. But then I also find the Warrior trapper feels weird... I know you're a big fan, but did you think the Warrior trapper felt weird at first too?

As for the love at first sight, that's kinda the problem; it WAS love at first sight, but then I got my hand up in there...

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Another catcher with a unique feel.

I won't be going to any other brand for the foreseeable future. Catchers are definitely a very personal piece of gear. 

Agreed, trapper and chest protector seem to be the 2 pieces that have a very different feel from brand to brand and guys have a hard time changing what they know.

I have been through 4 gloves since moving on from my Vaughn T3500, including two Brians gloves (original SubZero and Gnetik Pro II) and just went back to a Vaughn V8 Pro Carbon.  Both Brians gloves were 100% top notch in terms of build quality and design and held up well for a couple years each. I was able to sell both for decent money due to how great a shape they were in.  If it's not clear, I really wanted to love Brians, but had tons of problems with pop outs from pucks hitting the thumb.  After going back to Vaughn pucks seem to find the pocket.

With that said, if you have a solid offer try them out!  I love my Optik blocker and SubZero3 leg pads.  As has been said before, catch gloves are so personal and you'll find tons of great reviews of the Gnetik Pro II (which the 8.0 is based on).   Hopefully you'll find better success than I did.

16 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I have been through 4 gloves since moving on from my Vaughn T3500, including two Brians gloves (original SubZero and Gnetik Pro II) and just went back to a Vaughn V8 Pro Carbon.  Both Brians gloves were 100% top notch in terms of build quality and design and held up well for a couple years each. I was able to sell both for decent money due to how great a shape they were in.  If it's not clear, I really wanted to love Brians, but had tons of problems with pop outs from pucks hitting the thumb.  After going back to Vaughn pucks seem to find the pocket.

With that said, if you have a solid offer try them out!  I love my Optik blocker and SubZero3 leg pads.  As has been said before, catch gloves are so personal and you'll find tons of great reviews of the Gnetik Pro II (which the 8.0 is based on).   Hopefully you'll find better success than I did.

This was exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. Cheers for this, @Puckstopper !

I was at a higher-quality training session Tuesday, and for the first time I noticed my second hand V5 trapper felt a bit sloppy (?) - not sure how to describe it. Thoughts wandered back to the Brian's Gnetik set, and I ended up back at the same store for something for my kid. Tried them on again, and cinched up the trapper properly this time - like for a game. Have to say it felt pretty good - still find it a slightly odd thumb angle, but nothing I can't get used to. The blocker also felt nicer than I had remembered from trying it first time around. That they are well made - as you and @bunnyman666 have noted, means a decent return on investment should I try them for a year or so, and decide they're not for me after all

So if he still has these in his inventory (3 pairs in Chicago colours, in a small shop - fingers crossed!) when the hockey-spending moratorium lifts in December, I will pull the trigger on these beauts! All the wait time of a custom order, with none of the customization - lol!

Thanks everyone for the help here. As @coopaloop1234 said, only I can decide which factors determine my purchase, but these replies were exactly what I was hoping for to help me determine my purchase - even if said purchase is delayed by marriage-sustaining compromise.

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

This was exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. Cheers for this, @Puckstopper !

I was at a higher-quality training session Tuesday, and for the first time I noticed my second hand V5 trapper felt a bit sloppy (?) - not sure how to describe it. Thoughts wandered back to the Brian's Gnetik set, and I ended up back at the same store for something for my kid. Tried them on again, and cinched up the trapper properly this time - like for a game. Have to say it felt pretty good - still find it a slightly odd thumb angle, but nothing I can't get used to. The blocker also felt nicer than I had remembered from trying it first time around. That they are well made - as you and @bunnyman666 have noted, means a decent return on investment should I try them for a year or so, and decide they're not for me after all

So if he still has these in his inventory (3 pairs in Chicago colours, in a small shop - fingers crossed!) when the hockey-spending moratorium lifts in December, I will pull the trigger on these beauts! All the wait time of a custom order, with none of the customization - lol!

Thanks everyone for the help here. As @coopaloop1234 said, only I can decide which factors determine my purchase, but these replies were exactly what I was hoping for to help me determine my purchase - even if said purchase is delayed by marriage-sustaining compromise.

In so many cases, gloves are a love it or hate it proposition. Love a Vaughn T-5000, HATE the Warrior Messiah closure fir example.

Only once did I change my mind on a glove. I liked my Factory Mad glove, but did not LOVE it until I started using my PAW T-1000 impersonator and my PAW re-done T-5000; then the baseball glove closure suddenly made a LOT more sense to me! 

I hope for your sake those last gloves hang around for awhile. But the great Tommy Lee said it best: “easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permission”.

Archived