Steve Mason is still unsigned...

Moose75

57 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

Giguere and Lindkvist have done that before. It's not uncommon.

But as I say- you win and lose as a team. When I see crap like publicly calling out your teammates, it makes my blood boil. 

You have to be REALLY good at what you do to get away with that kind of crap. Notice that Lundy and Mase don’t have any Cup rings. I only excuse that form of ass hattery WHEN they have AT LEAST one Cup ring!

38 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

But as I say- you win and lose as a team. When I see crap like publicly calling out your teammates, it makes my blood boil. 

You have to be REALLY good at what you do to get away with that kind of crap. Notice that Lundy, Giggy and Mase don’t have any Cup rings. I only excuse that form of ass hattery WHEN they have AT LEAST one Cup ring!

Giguere won the cup in 07... 

If we only have Mason's exit interview as evidence, then it's easy to see and hear that he is being honest and attempting to offer his opinion on the nature of goalie tandems around the league. He isn't wrong, either. 

If he said anything derogatory about Neuvirth, or any partner in the net, then there is the real issue. I'm sure plenty of guys don't get along with the brass or coaching staff, but if they're respectful and produce, they have a chance at a spot. If you aren't a good teammate, then go kick rocks.

32 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

And allegedly went off on hextall for being paired with neuvy who isn’t a bad goalie at all. 

Also this: https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/video/steve-mason-goalie-tandem-it-doesnt-work

1 hour ago, southpawtendy48 said:

And allegedly went off on hextall for being paired with neuvy who isn’t a bad goalie at all. 

Also this: https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/video/steve-mason-goalie-tandem-it-doesnt-work

Ew. While he might be right, that doesn't seem wise to go this route.

2 hours ago, Mike24 said:

Enough stories like this

Just his body language at times was painful to watch.  

He does seem mopey body language-wise when games don't go his way. I remember in Columbus there were reports of him and his goalie coach getting frustrated with each other.

2 hours ago, dualshowman said:

If we only have Mason's exit interview as evidence, then it's easy to see and hear that he is being honest and attempting to offer his opinion on the nature of goalie tandems around the league. He isn't wrong, either. 

If he said anything derogatory about Neuvirth, or any partner in the net, then there is the real issue. I'm sure plenty of guys don't get along with the brass or coaching staff, but if they're respectful and produce, they have a chance at a spot. If you aren't a good teammate, then go kick rocks.

Well he had every right to say what he said, it’s just the stuff of him bashing his defense and his body language is, like Mike said, hard to watch. He’s not a bad goalie either so there has to be some other issues on why he might not be getting signed. 

1 hour ago, southpawtendy48 said:

there has to be some other issues on why he might not be getting signed. 

Maybe he wants to much? Has a bad wrap? Hockey is a small world. If you get a reputation, warranted or unwarranted, word of that spreads quickly. Could be a blacklisting of some kind. Remember Lehner's article about the "bad teammate" stigma that he had?

This might sound weird, or like I'm making fun, but I noticed there's almost no full rights in the NHL anymore. Louis Domingue is the only one I can think of. I don't know if it's because there's statistically less of them out there, or if there's an analytical reasoning as to why this is. Hell, even in the AHL. You have Francouz, Hutchinson, and Mazanec. That's about it.

I noticed right handed shooters tend to be the goal-scoring type players (Ovie, Laine, Kessel, Selanne, Stamkos, Pavelski, etc...) where as lefties are more playmakers (Crosby, Kucherov, Matthews, Malkin, Kane, etc..). I wonder if the league was a majority full right goalies the left shooters would become the goal guys? If that's the case, there are a lot more left shooters out there. I wonder if it is an actual disadvantage. Kinda like handed pitchers/batters and statistic percentages in baseball.

10 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

Maybe he wants to much? Has a bad wrap? Hockey is a small world. If you get a reputation, warranted or unwarranted, word of that spreads quickly. Could be a blacklisting of some kind. Remember Lehner's article about the "bad teammate" stigma that he had?

This might sound weird, or like I'm making fun, but I noticed there's almost no full rights in the NHL anymore. Louis Domingue is the only one I can think of. I don't know if it's because there's statistically less of them out there, or if there's an analytical reasoning as to why this is. Hell, even in the AHL. You have Francouz, Hutchinson, and Mazanec. That's about it.

I noticed right handed shooters tend to be the goal-scoring type players (Ovie, Laine, Kessel, Selanne, Stamkos, Pavelski, etc...) where as lefties are more playmakers (Crosby, Kucherov, Matthews, Malkin, Kane, etc..). I wonder if the league was a majority full right goalies the left shooters would become the goal guys? If that's the case, there are a lot more left shooters out there. I wonder if it is an actual disadvantage. Kinda like handed pitchers/batters and statistic percentages in baseball.

Yeah you can get a bad reputation for the wrong reasons sometimes, in this league you just kinda have to keep your mouth shut most of the time and I understand how hard that is to sometimes since the media spouts it to everyone else like the morons they are. The NHL is very flawed and I think y’all know that, there’s no room for error and while I feel bad for mase in that way, you have to be more mentally strong.

I also don’t know the stigma with full right goalies, I know all of you make jokes about it and that’s totally fine until someone has an actual problem with the way I play. I think the obvious answer is there’s more right handed people than left handed. Professionals won’t judge you on something you can’t really handle, I can’t really see myself catching lefty. 

8 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Yeah you can get a bad reputation for the wrong reasons sometimes, in this league you just kinda have to keep your mouth shut most of the time and I understand how hard that is to sometimes since the media spouts it to everyone else like the morons they are. The NHL is very flawed and I think y’all know that, there’s no room for error and while I feel bad for mase in that way, you have to be more mentally strong.

I also don’t know the stigma with full right goalies, I know all of you make jokes about it and that’s totally fine until someone has an actual problem with the way I play. I think the obvious answer is there’s more right handed people than left handed. Professionals won’t judge you on something you can’t really handle, I can’t really see myself catching lefty. 

All you have to do is look at Subban to know how fickle some GMs are.

Like I said, I wonder if it's a statistics thing more than anything else. But it's likely there's less full rights because there's less left handed people. When I was in pre school the teachers coerced me to write with my right hand instead of my left, which is what I felt more natural with. I bat lefty, shoot lefty, goalie lefty, my knife hand is lefty, yet my snare hand is right and I write righty. I'm all jumbled. 

Knowing how GMs are pretty goalie ignorant, I'm guessing that could be a factor too.

1 hour ago, Moose75 said:

All you have to do is look at Subban to know how fickle some GMs are.

Like I said, I wonder if it's a statistics thing more than anything else. But it's likely there's less full rights because there's less left handed people. When I was in pre school the teachers coerced me to write with my right hand instead of my left, which is what I felt more natural with. I bat lefty, shoot lefty, goalie lefty, my knife hand is lefty, yet my snare hand is right and I write righty. I'm all jumbled. 

Knowing how GMs are pretty goalie ignorant, I'm guessing that could be a factor too.

I write lefty, can bat both sides but naturally left, ping pong/tennis with my right but can play with my left hand ok. I’m weird lol

yea I’ve been around bias with people/coaches especially being on a guys team but I don’t experience that with my current team luckily. What a difference a more organized team can make. 

Archived