New Steel

cwarnar

Upgrading the steel on my new to me Vapor X900 Skates... Which do you recommend and why?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Upgrading the steel on my new to me Vapor X900 Skates... Which do you recommend and why?

• Step Steel
    • Tydan
    • Bauer LS5G

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

Any reason you would not consider the Bauer 5G? I have had very good luck with them. 

Funny you should mention them... I just saw they are compatible with the Vapor line.

Have you used Step or Tydan before the LS5G?  Comparison?

Of those on your list I've only used the Tydan w/ DLC. IMO even Tydan w/o DLC would be an upgrade to any steel Bauer put out up to and including LS3G. I'm sure LS5G is an improvement, but I can't think of anywhere I've seen a comparison of them except to previous Bauer steels.

I only have experience with the Tydan DLC blades, but it's definitely an upgrade on the stock Bauer steel.  My main rationale at the time of purchase was that I could order Tydan blades to my house, rather than driving to a retailer and having to order in what I wanted from Step if they didn't have it in stock.  No more reason than that :P

1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

Funny you should mention them... I just saw they are compatible with the Vapor line.

Have you used Step or Tydan before the LS5G?  Comparison?

This is my first bougie Steel. Sadly, I can’t compare them to anything but stock 

I don’t really have any complaints with the 5G... other than you need to be clear with your sharpener; Keep stones away!!! 

I've actually used Step and Tydan.  Both were an improvement over LSG3 steel.  Personally I don't like the Tydan Black with a custom profile from Tydan on my 1S skates as well as I liked my Step regular custom profiled by Noicing sports on my old Bauer Pro's.   The Tydan might last 1-2 skates longer than the Step did, but the profile from Noicing was SO much better.  I'm looking forward to having a little down time so I can send my Tydan's off to Noicing to see what they can do with 'em.

StepSteel... had about four pairs of LS3G after switching to cowling-less S190's... It was good, but nowhere near as nice an edge as Step. More nicks and dings from the posts. Had the extreme blades for years in my cowled skates and finally back to the standard Step again this season. I was advised that any blade with the ceramic coating on the outside can't be side honed if required because it scratches up the coating... so i went with plain finish stainless.

I have never tried Tydan blades.

8 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Would love to hear the pros and cons of both Step and Tydan... 3mm for Vapor X900 skates

I rotate between two pairs of Tydan.

Have never tried Step.

I'm getting a lot more ice time off a single set of Tydan steel than I did on a set of Bauer LS3G.  I think I'm on skate #8 on my latest set since sharpening.  With the Bauers, I had to go every three sessions or else I would have no edge.

• 2 weeks later...

You miss Massive blade as an option. everything is better then stock , don't know about the lg 5 or whatever its called.

Used the Tydan DLC, better then stock that came with the x900 or the mid model stock.

The Massive DLC is way better then the Tydan DLC (this is the matte finish,  the gloss like step finish i have not and am not bother testing).

STep black is or was on back order for couple months and is more expensive then both, not going to bother testing .

This is comparing on the same profile on both blades cag 80/160 size 9 blades on same ice surface 1 week apart , multiple times.  I have 5 sets 3 sets of tydan and 2 sets of massive both sharpen to same specs. tydans had a little more sharpening like 2 more then new massive.

@DL42 I looked into Massive... Only available thru GM.  I'm in Canada so I'm not buying south of the border.  The monkey Canada site showed all size 8 for massive sold out.  And inquiries to their customer service went unanswered.

I ended up not going Tydan due to some of the fit issues with the Vertexx edge holder.  Saved myself some cash and just got regular Step.  Should be here this week

Being fed up with my LS1 blades, I headed to my local shop and picked up the LS5 blades. The price was good, no wait time, they sharpened both my new LS5 and LS1 blades for free and honestly, the height difference between the two is not that bad. Sticking with Bauer to Bauer products saves me any uncontrollable issues. Hopefully my hips and knees can handle the extra lift. I just hope I don't keel over during a t-push LOLLL

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Being fed up with my LS1 blades, I headed to my local shop and picked up the LS5 blades. The price was good, no wait time, they sharpened both my new LS5 and LS1 blades for free and honestly, the height difference between the two is not that bad. Sticking with Bauer to Bauer products saves me any uncontrollable issues. Hopefully my hips and knees can handle the extra lift. I just hope I don't keel over during a t-push LOLLL

I ended up going the same route.  Ordered Step but they were sold out.  Rather than deal with potential fit issues with Tydan I got LSG5

Played an hour and a half Friday night with the new blades. I have to say that I'm surprisingly delighted. So much more bite. I didn't feel much discomfort with the height difference other than slightly sore ankles. I also played Saturday night and still the same results, found my happy feet again. Only thing that hurt is my inside boot collar digging into my leg during wide stance movements.

Still aiming at giving Grafs a shot and compare notes.

Bauer LS5 are worth the buy.

On 10/15/2018 at 7:38 AM, cwarnar said:

@DL42 I looked into Massive... Only available thru GM.  I'm in Canada so I'm not buying south of the border.  The monkey Canada site showed all size 8 for massive sold out.  And inquiries to their customer service went unanswered.

I ended up not going Tydan due to some of the fit issues with the Vertexx edge holder.  Saved myself some cash and just got regular Step.  Should be here this week

done right sports in alberta has them massive blades.

Archived