Reason behind NHLers switching to a Kenesky C&A?

cwarnar

Just preaching the gospel about the false hockey prophet named Boris Bettman. He should be buried to his waist and be stoned to death for his herecy and the harm he wants to inflict upon goalies.

He should have been fired for putting himself into the Hockey HOF, as well, then buried to his waist and stoned to death.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RichMan said:

I'm wondering how these are making out cause more and more goalies are complaining from bruising since the rule change. Is it manufacturing? Is it actually the size difference? Is it bad designs?  

According to Garret Sparks, its bad design.  Not sure if you can fault the manufacturers with this, as they had maybe a year or less to adjust to the new sizing.

3 hours ago, TitanG said:

Looks like the Anderson spec'd C/A is for sale:

Untitled.png.5948f423ecf59aa0980c5d031ed28522.png

By the time I pulled that up, it was already sold

It's insane how many NHL'ers are going with the Kenesky CA's. I'd say something like half the NHL. Or at least somewhere in the 20-50% area. Which is amazing, considering there was like no Kenesky in the NHL last season.

If I understand correctly, to summarize: NHL goalies are not really happy with the "new-rules" CA's being put out by the big-name mfgrs, and then Kenesky came along with essentially a slimmed-down copy of the popular Reebok P1, and using Dave Wilcox's name and channels, managed to get some into the hands of NHL'ers, and since then it's been spreading around and gaining more and more traction. And given it's under the jersey, licensing fees don't apply, which is another big plus for a small mfgr to have.

...is that pretty much correct so far?

1 hour ago, estogoalie said:

It's insane how many NHL'ers are going with the Kenesky CA's. I'd say something like half the NHL. Or at least somewhere in the 20-50% area. Which is amazing, considering there was like no Kenesky in the NHL last season.

If I understand correctly, to summarize: NHL goalies are not really happy with the "new-rules" CA's being put out by the big-name mfgrs, and then Kenesky came along with essentially a slimmed-down copy of the popular Reebok P1, and using Dave Wilcox's name and channels, managed to get some into the hands of NHL'ers, and since then it's been spreading around and gaining more and more traction. And given it's under the jersey, licensing fees don't apply, which is another big plus for a small mfgr to have.

...is that pretty much correct so far?

From my reading of the comments, especially Holtby it's that the big guys aren't doing much in terms of customization.

Where Dave and Mike are making the units custom form fitting and still beefy.

Article here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/10/22/nhl-goalies-leagues-new-pad-restrictions-are-real-pain/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5d2a084746e8

Healy wrote an article asking NHL goalies to "stop whining" about the new chest protectors. Wonder how he'd feel standing in front of 90 mph shot from a stick of 75 flex with a conforming c/a. Lets see then what Glenny boy might say. I see and feel the difference in beer league with our snipers, can you imagine in the show :o

12 hours ago, cwarnar said:

From my reading of the comments, especially Holtby it's that the big guys aren't doing much in terms of customization.

Where Dave and Mike are making the units custom form fitting and still beefy.

Article here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/10/22/nhl-goalies-leagues-new-pad-restrictions-are-real-pain/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5d2a084746e8

Really interesting read.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Healy wrote an article asking NHL goalies to "stop whining" about the new chest protectors. Wonder how he'd feel standing in front of 90 mph shot from a stick of 75 flex with a conforming c/a. Lets see then what Glenny boy might say. I see and feel the difference in beer league with our snipers, can you imagine in the show :o

My reaction to everybody taking the whining approach to this issue (and ESPECIALLY the ones who have never played hockey, much less goaltending) is pretty much that.  Would you stand in front of a Shea Weber slapshot?  No?  Well shut the fuck up, you can't comment.  Everyone else that answers yes, I simply immediately call their bluff and pretty much tell them to go f-bomb their selves.

Not Kenesky BUT, I thought it would be interesting to some of you as visual data or whatever scientific word you want to conjure up for this.

I managed to borrow back my CCM legal H5 to take measurements and pics should I want a duplicate made. Anyways, I took 2 pics of the CCM and my Mckenney legal (2016) 870 side-by-side for comparison and took a few measurements for same. Both are size Large. There is quite a visual difference, the most significant as per the tape measure is the floaters and the belly.

Shoulder width: CCM 22" - Mckenney 26"
Belly: CCM 17"1/2 - Mckenney 19"1/2
Arm blocks: roughly the same at 7"
Wings: roughly the same at 7"

I will try to take pics of me wearing both for further comparison. The H5 was basically the pre-dawn of the P1 IMO and in retrospec to all the other C/As of that same time period, the H5 was by far the most if not one of the most minimalist of them.

**PS ...tried to rotate them after attaching them to my post and wasn't able, sorry

20181028_130639.jpg

20181028_130930.jpg

Archived