Reason behind NHLers switching to a Kenesky C&A?

cwarnar

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I'm surprised Bettman or Whitmore haven't said anything about Kenesky's take over. Kudos

They couldn't care less, it's under the shirt, no way for them to monetize it, hence the letting it go thing.  That being said though, Kay is probably more than happy to let it go, because I would assume he's the first guy they call to complain, so seeing everybody jump the shark might mean to him that someone has learn to do it right and therefore, justifies the stupid regulation change.

All, it’s extremely cool that so many people are interested in Kenesky gear at an NHL level...

but let’s be very clear. Not every goalie who orders one is going to switch. 

Halak has now tried 3 different models of C&As. He could try this on, say “nope” and never wear it on the ice. That’s how we see pro stock and pro return gear for sale. 

Kenesky is doing a great job of seizing their opportunity and promoting it, but let’s be responsible with our word choices. 

Holtby is the only one I’ve confirmed using the whole unit in games 

Anyone else have clear pics of others using them in games?

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

All, it’s extremely cool that so many people are interested in Kenesky gear at an NHL level...

Halak has now tried 3 different models of C&As. He could try this on, say “nope” and never wear it on the ice. That’s how we see pro stock and pro return gear for sale. 

Kenesky is doing a great job of seizing their opportunity and promoting it, but let’s be responsible with our word choices. 

that's a good point.  Passau apparently has had some inquiries from guys in the show, Tim said that they're not touting it until someone actually "converts" to it.  Kenesky has done a great job in marketing themselves for sure.  But it isn't clear how many of their chestys are actually getting used in a game.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Thats for sure and I fully realise that.  I just think it's awesome that a company has that kind of opportunityand exposure, and fully exploits it marketing wise.  I think their units are beautiful, and I always like to see "smaller" companies being able to sustain a living in this industry, just means more choices for people out there.  Have you felt I had been dismissive in any way?  If so, sorry, that has never been my intent.

2 hours ago, Math. said:

Thats for sure and I fully realise that.  I just think it's awesome that a company has that kind of opportunityand exposure, and fully exploits it marketing wise.  I think their units are beautiful, and I always like to see "smaller" companies being able to sustain a living in this industry, just means more choices for people out there.  Have you felt I had been dismissive in any way?  If so, sorry, that has never been my intent.

not directed at anyone in particular. Just want to be responsible.

This could end up as the biggest over hype since the original 2002ish Bauer Vapor or it could end up being the next VH (True).

So my Anderson pro-return Kenesky CA arrived today, and it is impressive.  It is super mobile and I can’t wait to get it on the ice on Wednesday.  I am very lucky, it fits like it was made for me.  Here is a pic of me in the CA.  I’m ugly, the CA is not.

142E2CA4-A7B9-4C03-88AF-70F22E9FFFE9.jpeg

45 minutes ago, beansbats said:

So my Anderson pro-return Kenesky CA arrived today, and it is impressive.  It is super mobile and I can’t wait to get it on the ice on Wednesday.  I am very lucky, it fits like it was made for me.  Here is a pic of me in the CA.  I’m ugly, the CA is not.

Beanbats nice unit, assuming that the body has not been adjusted seems to leave a large gap below the chin!

Also the model that was made for Anderson seems more beefed up than some of the others in the belly area, looks like you made a wise purchase can you give us a ball park how much you paid for it?

6 minutes ago, Big2 said:

Beanbats nice unit, assuming that the body has not been adjusted seems to leave a large gap below the chin!

Also the model that was made for Anderson seems more beefed up than some of the others in the belly area, looks like you made a wise purchase can you give us a ball park how much you paid for it?

I haven’t adjusted the body yet.  I paid the retail price for it.  $700 Canadian.

5 hours ago, beansbats said:

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread.

whered you see this for sale? Mind if I post on IG? I can blur your face if you’d like 

5 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

whered you see this for sale? Mind if I post on IG? I can blur your face if you’d like 

Beans = it would be nice to understand where your coming from, what was your previous CA not sure if its referenced on this post?

11 hours ago, beansbats said:

Looks like you scored a great unit, @beansbats :fistbump:

More importantly... are those beer taps in the foreground of your pic?

7 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Mike Howard posted it for Kenesky on Facebook.  Apparently Anderson traded this one in for one with a little less "protection".  No, I don't know what that means.  IG is fine, please blur my ugly mug out.  There are more pics in the Show Off Your Gear thread that you can use if you want.

2 hours ago, Big2 said:

Beans = it would be nice to understand where your coming from, what was your previous CA not sure if its referenced on this post?

My main current CA is a gen2 Passau Pro Pack, I also use a Vaughn V6 Varlamov pro return, and a Brown 2400.  I did try the new spec Optik, as well.

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Looks like you scored a great unit, @beansbats :fistbump:

More importantly... are those beer taps in the foreground of your pic?

Thanks!  That is a Ponte Vechhio lever espresso machine :)  The beer tap is in the basement.

I've been told that the back adjustment straps are sewn by the equipment manager to be tailored to the player then signed off by Kay. I've also had the opportunity to see the prototype at Kenesky's shop when I was in London for business and that they can/will do some altercations as requested to an ordered chesty like Anderson's . But the weight is a downside to the unit for me.

8 hours ago, beansbats said:

7.33 pounds for the Kenesky CA.  Slightly lighter than my Passau Pro pack at 7.41 pounds.  Heavier than my V6 Varlamov at 6.39 pounds.

Thanks. I'd have to go back and watching my videos... but I think my retail Optik and EF2 were around 6lbs. I think my V6 howard was sub 6

FYI comments from goalies on the CA changes!

BRADEN HOLTBY, WASHINGTON CAPITALS
What he said: “Sooner or later someone’s going to get hurt pretty bad,” Holtby told the Associated Press. “You can deal with bumps and bruises and stuff. It’s when you hope someone doesn’t get a broken bone or some sort out of it. If they keep making things like that, they’re going to have to start monitoring the stick technology because guys shoot so hard right now we’ll have no choice but to be bigger.”

What his stats are: 4-2-1, .888 SV%, 3.41 GAA

JAMES REIMER, FLORIDA PANTHERS
What he said: “I’ve never flinched in my life,” Reimer told the AP. “I consider myself a tough guy. I’m from the country. I can take a few bruises here and there. But at what point? At what point is one guy going to let one loose and a guy’s going to break his arm?”

What his stats are: 1-3-1, .878 SV%, 3.41 GAA

SERGEI BOBROVSKY, COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS
What he said: “No, it’s terrible actually,” Bobrovsky told the Columbus Dispatch on Oct. 17. “You start to be afraid of pucks, actually, especially in the practices. You get bruises in here (arms, elbows). It’s terrible.

“They cut (down) the arms, but basically they cut off the protection of the chest protector. That’s the bad thing. I’ve never had the bruises on my arms, but now it feels like every other shot goes there. If it goes there, it’s going to be sore.

“It’s all right if they want to make more goals or stuff like that, but when they cut out the protection from you, it’s a bad thing. It’s taking away little pieces (of focus), because in the practices, it’s human nature…if you go more and more there, every shot you get hit there, then your body and your mind (try) to protect your body — and then there is all those little hesitations. If you feel a little hesitation in your mind, it could cost you a goal.”

What his stats are: 2-4-0, .872 SV%, 3.87 GAA

BRIAN ELLIOTT, PHILADELPHIA FLYERS
What he said: “I’ve already sent a couple emails to Kay Whitmore,” Elliott told the Philadelphia Courier-Post on Oct. 8. “I’m getting bruised like crazy on my arms. I think that’s the biggest issue, they take away padding in the arms. It seems like every shot that you take that’s not clean on your blocker or in your glove, it’s leaving a mark.

“They wanted more ‘form fitting,’ but when you have more form fitting there’s no give. There’s no air between you and your pads, so the puck is hitting your pad and at the same time it’s hitting your bones and your flesh so there’s no cushion. It’s just straight shots to your arms and I don’t agree with it.”

What his stats are: 2-5-0, .886 SV%, 3.39 GAA

CONNOR HELLEBUYCK, WINNIPEG JETS
What he said: “I’m getting bruises all over my arms. I’m pretty exposed in my shoulders,” Hellebuyck told the Winnipeg Free Press on Oct. 23.

“It’s definitely going to add a couple goals. We’re not talking big numbers. But it will add a couple goals and affect some save percentages. But that’s what the league wants. They want more goals, and they just gotta understand it’s going to reflect negatively on us.

“I still feel a little vulnerable in there. But it’s nothing I’m concerned or scared about. I’m more worried about the long term, if I’m finding spots that you don’t know about now. You never know when one might be the big injury and the bone break or something like that.”

LAURENT BROSSOIT, WINNIPEG JETS
What he said: “It just kind of sucks that we end up being the guinea pigs, whereas you think you’d maybe try that out in other leagues before you get a finished product,” Brossoit said. “It was a rushed process in the summer. And that’s kind of what the issues are. A lot of guys didn’t get to try out their chest protector until, like, a week before camp. By that time, if you don’t want that one, you feel kind of trapped.”

Brossoit told the Free Press he eventually switched manufacturers and since then: “I haven’t had too many stingers. Maybe a couple in the arm.”

What his stats are: 3-0-0, .957 SV%, 1.67 GAA

HENRIK LUNDQVIST, NEW YORK RANGERS
What he said: “It was tight and hard to move and you got exposed in a couple areas where you had to talk to Kay (Whitmore) and make sure it was OK to cover your shoulders,” Lundqvist told AP. “I just made some adjustments just make sure it was exactly the way I wanted and the league wanted it, so it’s all good now.”

What his stats are: 2-6-1, .917 SV%, 2.77 GAA

This part of Holtby's statement - he's exactly right, IMHO:

What he said: “Sooner or later someone’s going to get hurt pretty bad,” Holtby told the Associated Press. “You can deal with bumps and bruises and stuff. It’s when you hope someone doesn’t get a broken bone or some sort out of it. If they keep making things like that, they’re going to have to start monitoring the stick technology because guys shoot so hard right now we’ll have no choice but to be bigger.”

I mentioned this in a related thread, but then advances in gear that directly lead to more goals, well...

Why doesn't the league just allow forwards to continue using composite sticks BUT with VERY LIMITED flex to dampen that whip like velocity that can hurt us goalies cause it's harder to read. They would have the lightness of composite but the performance of then wood sticks. Webber and Chara and other snipers would still have heavy shots and of course, timing is everything in today's game, be it goalies or forwards.

Archived