Reason behind NHLers switching to a Kenesky C&A?

cwarnar

34 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Why doesn't the league just allow forwards to continue using composite sticks BUT with VERY LIMITED flex to dampen that whip like velocity that can hurt us goalies cause it's harder to read. They would have the lightness of composite but the performance of then wood sticks. Webber and Chara and other snipers would still have heavy shots and of course, timing is everything in today's game, be it goalies or forwards.

Yes but no.  The way I understand it (and bear with me, I ain't no physics major), the lower flex (that gives more whip) have a lot more to do with shot release and not so much shot power.  Again, I may be wrong here but it sounds logical to me.  Guys who shoot real hard (the Chara's and Weber's) have so powerfull a shot, they use extremely stiff flexes, because otherwise they'd go through a stick a shot.  Chara uses a 150 flex sticks (yes, that ain't a typo).........a 150!!!  Give him an 80 and the stick doesn't stand a chance.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Why doesn't the league just allow forwards to continue using composite sticks BUT with VERY LIMITED flex to dampen that whip like velocity that can hurt us goalies cause it's harder to read. They would have the lightness of composite but the performance of then wood sticks. Webber and Chara and other snipers would still have heavy shots and of course, timing is everything in today's game, be it goalies or forwards.

How is this, in any way, reasonably enforceable?  It simply isn’t feasible to test every stick, for every player, on every team.

The problem isn’t player sticks. Manufacturers were given a small window (6-12 months) to develop an essentially brand new product.  It was announced early last season that they were looking at downsizing. I have been told the official specs and restrictions came out around February.   

IMO if it is that bad, the solution is to roll back the changes and give manufacturers more time to develop product. 

1 hour ago, Math. said:

Yes but no.  The way I understand it (and bear with me, I ain't no physics major), the lower flex (that gives more whip) have a lot more to do with shot release and not so much shot power.  Again, I may be wrong here but it sounds logical to me.  Guys who shoot real hard (the Chara's and Weber's) have so powerfull a shot, they use extremely stiff flexes, because otherwise they'd go through a stick a shot.  Chara uses a 150 flex sticks (yes, that ain't a typo).........a 150!!!  Give him an 80 and the stick doesn't stand a chance.

This is correct.  Same is true for stringing tennis rackets.  Less tight strings generate more acceleration, but not necessarily more power.

18 minutes ago, Big2 said:

Anderson was wearing a Vaughn Velocity last night!

Yeah, I'm not seeing kenesky post when the goalies aren't using their chesties!

I don't much care, but it is interesting the hay Kenesky is making over this, when they're not endorsed by the goalies.  Good on them for exploiting the moment, but my guess is that once the Vaughns, CCMs  and Bauers of the world figure it out, their sponsored athletes will be back in the fold.  And I'll still be wearing my non-NHL spec Passau.  Because beer league.

1 hour ago, jeff da goalie said:

I don't much care, but it is interesting the hay Kenesky is making over this, when they're not endorsed by the goalies.  Good on them for exploiting the moment, but my guess is that once the Vaughns, CCMs  and Bauers of the world figure it out, their sponsored athletes will be back in the fold.  And I'll still be wearing my non-NHL spec Passau.  Because beer league.

Exactly. I 100% respect seizing the moment, but some of the marketing is bordering on misleading.

On 11/2/2018 at 1:27 PM, jeff da goalie said:

Exactly this. I'm very happy for a smaller brand making such a good product that Pro's are willing to wear it because it's more protective than what they are getting from the big suppliers, but you better believe every one of those big brands has ordered an NHL spec Kenesky pad and torn that thing to shreds in order to find out what Kenesky has done right and what they were doing wrong. It's only a matter of time until all the big boys can go back to their NHL guys with perfect gear.

Saw that Kenesky posted a video that CTV News did on them, mostly about their history:

https://london.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1539848&fbclid=IwAR1dq1-cypX4ESrpiOwUVp-Cqv-lgN_drL-fMFxiUPuUB7lV9nkpn9HrcoE.

It was interesting because they said some NHLers are going to test their pads in the offseason, though of course that happens all the time with other brands and guys don't often switch.

1 hour ago, cuprajake said:

Holtby has upper body injury. Do we know what it is? 

They didn't say what, only said "undisclosed upper body injury"..

In addition to Holtby getting injured on Wednesday morning,....

Appears it happened in practice. If it was related to CA reductions, I'm sure it will come out soon enough...

23 hours ago, TitanG said:

Is it common among manufacturers to put the belly pad under the blocks instead of over like the Anderson CA or Passau CAs?

Looks to me like it's just cut out. Maybe Miller doesn't want the double passing there as that's a spot that pants should cover. Likely trading some protection for mobility?

Just now, Aquilzz said:

Looks to me like it's just cut out. Maybe Miller doesn't want the double passing there as that's a spot that pants should cover. Likely trading some protection for mobility?

In other pictures they posted as well as a reply on their Instagram, they said that it is padding on the underside that he tucks in, while the blocks go on the outside of his pants. Unique design and maybe he's onto something? Or maybe just another quirky mod.

20 hours ago, MTH said:

Major League Baseball did one thing right by keeping wood bats. I wish the NHL did that back then... wood sticks only.

Wow, I never noticed that. Not that I watch much baseball.

Makes me think...I have to check with the drug dealers back home if they are using aluminum bats to break peoples legs, or are they staying true to form and using only wooden bats....?

On 11/22/2018 at 11:28 AM, estogoalie said:

Wow, I never noticed that. Not that I watch much baseball.

Makes me think...I have to check with the drug dealers back home if they are using aluminum bats to break peoples legs, or are they staying true to form and using only wooden bats....?

Baseball juiced the balls... 

31 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Baseball juiced the balls... 

Don't give Bettman any ideas...

Though if they were to change the pucks by making them lighter, it would likely result in more shots missing the net, at least until shooters adjusted.

So... As we're 1/4 of the way through the season. It's interesting to look at where we are with Kenesky and the NHL C&As.

Halak had one made and is NOT using it.

Luongo used it for a bit and went back to his CCM.

Ward is not using his.

From what I can tell, it seems like those who were using the P1 and not the Premier are the guys sticking with Kenesky. This would be Holtby and Khodobin off the top of my head. I am fascinated with this story and will continue to monitor who actually switches and who does not.

I think it's safe to say if you are looking to buy a bespoke custom C&A, Passau and Brown have a new competitor. The question is... How well do they do in the NHL long term?

Archived