Does True Make Stock Skates?

RichMan

I'm starting this thread because I'm tired of searching everywhere or having to post anywhere to ask simple skate related questions.

My question is: does True (VH) make generic goalie skates, or only custom? I'm asking because I noticed a lot of them for sale on the web, but these are supposed to be custom, right? It's not like getting your Bauer or CCM skates and getting them baked a couple times. That doesn't change the overall shape of the skate, it just makes it more contoured to the individual's feet. The next guy could just rebake them and he's fine.

True is like the mask molding of your feet. That's full on customising, so reselling them is kind of pointless unless you're only after the runners. 

Am I making sense with this? Should True make available an off the shelf model like the other guys?

Unless there is a stock programme that I am unaware about, VH/True are 100% custom.

People are expecting a slipper. These are NOT slippers! You are not getting a pair of Graf. They are not soft. I would surmise that the reason why they are for sale in the secondary market was due to poor measurements, not getting the hot spots right on the foot/ankle/toe, etc., etc.

When it was VH, Scott regularly sold boots that were returned and I would see different boots weekly. One story I had read was that one guy had his boots remade TWICE. I don’t think True accepts returns except for defects in workmanship; of course you are not tracing your foot on paper any longer.

I was not 100% comfortable in those skates until I popped in a new sock liner and rebaked them. That made a 10,000% improvement in how they feel!

2 hours ago, Goalline said:

what about them are you not comfortable with?  

I'm having mine remade (true was cool about it).  Found they were way too small in the toe.  

They're not all they're cracked up to be. And even though am guilty at finding myself slipping at times on this, I try to do my absolute best not to trash companies and their products. Working in hockey, you see and hear things about gear that the regular consumer doesn't. Comfort wise....I just don't feel it. Not better than than previously worn skates and not better than the 1X thusfar. The comfort isn't bad. But it's not mindblowing as everyone says. And the way they are built...well....

To the mods...

I don't know why you changed the title of this thread. My comment was not to focus on a True skates only discussion. It is merely the first topic of many on any skate brand or model that can be discussed. We have a "Mask thread", why can't there be a "Skate thread" as well?

16 minutes ago, RichMan said:

To the mods...

I don't know why you changed the title of this thread. My comment was not to focus on a True skates only discussion. It is merely the first topic of many on any skate brand or model that can be discussed. We have a "Mask thread", why can't there be a "Skate thread" as well?

I changed it and moved it to the True section because it is a post specifically about True skates.  There is already a skate thread somewhere in the gear section that has lots of random discussion in it.  

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I changed it and moved it to the True section because it is a post specifically about True skates.  There is already a skate thread somewhere in the gear section that has lots of random discussion in it.  

Then could you kindly help me find this skate thread? I haven't been able to.

They're not all they're cracked up to be. And even though am guilty at finding myself slipping at times on this, I try to do my absolute best not to trash companies and their products. Working in hockey, you see and hear things about gear that the regular consumer doesn't. Comfort wise....I just don't feel it. Not better than than previously worn skates and not better than the 1X thusfar. The comfort isn't bad. But it's not mindblowing as everyone says. And the way they are built...well....

I know that there has been negative buzz about the longevity of the boot. I have not experienced that; I have been on the shelf for a very long time, however.

Mine are comfortable enough compared to how most skates feel on my feet. 

The Reebok boot, before they narrowed the toe box for the CCM rebrand,  was my ONLY hope for a skate that fit my super-weird foot, as I have a low volume foot with super wide forefoot and super narrow heel. The Pump would take up that negative space in the heel, so it was FAR from perfect. If the Pump and air bladder was broken, the skate would be rendered useless for me. I would use it EVERY time I would skate, which worried me as I used to play 3-6 times per week.

Frankly, I’d love a better option than the True as it is far from perfect for me.

9 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I know that there has been negative buzz about the longevity of the boot. I have not experienced that; I have been on the shelf for a very long time, however.

Mine are comfortable enough compared to how most skates feel on my feet. 

The Reebok boot, before they narrowed the toe box for the CCM rebrand,  was my ONLY hope for a skate that fit my super-weird foot, as I have a low volume foot with super wide forefoot and super narrow heel. The Pump would take up that negative space in the heel, so it was FAR from perfect. If the Pump and air bladder was broken, the skate would be rendered useless for me. I would use it EVERY time I would skate, which worried me as I used to play 3-6 times per week.

Frankly, I’d love a better option than the True as it is far from perfect for me.

Maybe you could look into the Graf skates? (1030/1050/1080)

I'm hoping to try the DM 1030 before I decide to upgrade my 700X

• 3 weeks later...

They're coming...

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/new-items/true-goalie-skates-stock-two-piece-senior.html

We are proud to introduce the taste of the custom skate world to the hockey community at large. True Hockey is known for their unique 3D scan process for an exact dialed in fit, however we have taken the best features of their skates and created a stock Two-Piece goalie skate for today’s butterfly style goalie.

Starting with the outside of the skate, these True Stock Two-Piece Pro Senior Goalie Skates were designed with a patented carbon fiber, monocoque design which provides more direct power transfer and unmatched control while in stride or in tight turns. Coupling this powerful design is True’s Toe Cap which is dramatically reinforced for ultimate comfort and protection against pucks.

On top of the foot, players will find an adjustable felt tongue which gives a great amount of comfort yet provides multiple opportunities to adjust the tongue against the foot. This customization can help create more stability or more forward lean depending on how high the tongue comes up the foot.

In the skates, the eyelets are strategically placed eyelets that put goalies in the deepest attack position which facilitates natural and more direct energy transfer when moving laterally. On the back, there is a low profile heel which gives ultimate flexibility to help drive the foot for direct power transfer and stability. Lining the entire skate is True’s antimicrobial and hydrophobic liner that wicks moisture to the venting holes to keep your feet dry and comfortable throughout use.

On the bottom of the skate, True uses a specific holder designed for optimal performance. This holder helps create a forward pitch and taller attack angle giving the goalie the ability to get a wider stance or faster recovery time when needing to engage their edges. In conjunction with Step Steel, the holder is uniquely made for Step Steel to provide quality, durable and dense steel to hold a sharp edge over time. With BenchChange technology, the player is able to remove the steel from the holder for a quick swap or ease of installing new steel.

For this specific skate, it can be heat molded to provide the perfect fit to the player’s foot. We recommend baking the skates a second or third time to provide the absolute perfect fit and creating the custom fit the player desires.

If you are an Elite-Level goaltender, looking for a custom-like dialed in fit without the wait time; the True Stock Two-Piece Pro Senior Goalie Skate is for you.

Thank you @ZeroGravitas.

In regards to some of the comments above, we have not had an unusually high volume of durability issues from our pros or retail clients (unlike many companies both our pro and public skates are made by the same people at the same office).  For my part, I've owned 3 pairs of VH/TRUE skates in the 3+ years I've been with the companies and all have held up amazingly.  I've only changed them up to keep with current branding and options.

@Tim_TRUEHockey can you share any details about the “stock” offering from Goalie Monkey? Is this True-ly stock? (Pun fully intended) This just a promotion of some sort with GM?

Side opinion: Stock offerings would be a logical progression to further penetrate the market. Surprises me though because True had the perfect business model. Production on demand internally and no expensive inventory for the retail channel. Simple product line and not worried about that mid tier market. Going with a stock boot takes a step back toward conventional. I think retail is broken and I was hoping True would inspire more people to change it up. 

If you’re spending $800 on skates, plan ahead and wait. Instant gratification is overrated. We’d also have less bankruptcy among hockey OEMs and shops 

On 10/29/2018 at 1:54 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

Likely unpopular opinion, but I think these are a bad idea...

...here's why: True skates work so well because they are custom fitted to a specific foot mold from length/width/heel pocket/eyelets/etc. But the thing is, they are EXTREMELY stiff skates that have barely softened up after 8 months of 4-5x use per week. The difference in stiffness between True/VH material and Curv on Bauer for example, is huge. That's why Bauer and CCM can have retail options, their boots are much more forgiving. Having tons of Bauer skates growing up...from non-Curv materials to Curv, they also do soften up over time.

I'm worried there's going to be goalies that see the gigantic market penetration for VH/True especially on goalies, and must think they are superior but also do not want to wait for a custom process. I know they are baked to a foot, but that can only go so far. There's no forgiveness in these skates, and I can see a lot of pain in arches/ankles/width especially.

Archived