Played first game back in 14 years last night...

dstew29

And I realized quickly I can't skate for sh*t! ? It was just a shinny so it was all good.

Don't get me wrong, was great to get back out there last night! But my biggest takeaway was the difficulty with my skates / skating. Some of this is definitely re-acclimating to the game but I have a hunch there are definitely equipment issues as well. Example being for some reason I couldn't push to my right without catching some type of edge and biting it / nearly biting it for the first half of the game. Plus my blades just felt like they lacked any real edge on either blade and I had them sharpened a few months prior (though hadn't skated on them yet). By the second half I found ways to compensate but still couldn't effectively shuffle right with any speed when I needed to. All in all was fun and great to get back into it. 

I guess I'm looking for some guidance troubleshooting fit issues with leg pads and skates. I'm basically in all new equipment that I had never used before - pads, skates, etc. The rest of it I think was generally fine but those two areas seem to be the most difficult to adjust to (and I never really did last night).

Do you have any rinks that provide a Stick & Puck session?  You can skate around in your gear, adjusting and getting a feel for it.  You could then take some shots in the crease before some more skating and assessing.  I found that these programs worked great because you weren't expected to take shots for the full hour and could concentrate on your gear.

Around here we have a couple of rinks that offer this for $5 an hour.

31 minutes ago, Wonder35 said:

Do you have any rinks that provide a Stick & Puck session?  You can skate around in your gear, adjusting and getting a feel for it.  You could then take some shots in the crease before some more skating and assessing.  I found that these programs worked great because you weren't expected to take shots for the full hour and could concentrate on your gear.

Around here we have a couple of rinks that offer this for $5 an hour.

Great idea. I just looked into this and a few around me seem to have them regularly.

I think I'm going to take my skates in to get sharpened again just to try and rule that variable out. Any recommendations of type of cut I should ask for? 

2 minutes ago, dstew29 said:

Great idea. I just looked into this and a few around me seem to have them regularly.

I think I'm going to take my skates in to get sharpened again just to try and rule that variable out. Any recommendations of type of cut I should ask for? 

I was most comfortable with a 1/2 inch cut but its a very personal thing. Be sure to ask your skate tech what angle he is giving you so that you have a base standard. Once you're satisfied with a particular grind write it on the bottom of your skate boot in magic marker so that you get a consistent cut.

Just over a year ago I started playing again after a 20 year break, so I know exactly how you feel!  I had been public skating, but had not worn pads in exactly 20 years (almost to the day!).  When I first skated onto the ice, I felt like Bambi, it felt awkward.  My crouch and stance felt fine, but crease movements felt very awkward, plus my skates were stupidly sharp!  After about 20 minutes though, muscle memory kicked in, and it all started coming back.

Like Wonder says, Half inch is a good starting place for the cut.  Next time on the ice, just practice shuffling, maybe from blue line to blue line along the boards.  Remember, your hips have not done that motion in a long time, it can take a while to get smooth at it again!

1 hour ago, Naz said:

Just over a year ago I started playing again after a 20 year break, so I know exactly how you feel!  I had been public skating, but had not worn pads in exactly 20 years (almost to the day!).  When I first skated onto the ice, I felt like Bambi, it felt awkward.  My crouch and stance felt fine, but crease movements felt very awkward, plus my skates were stupidly sharp!  After about 20 minutes though, muscle memory kicked in, and it all started coming back.

Like Wonder says, Half inch is a good starting place for the cut.  Next time on the ice, just practice shuffling, maybe from blue line to blue line along the boards.  Remember, your hips have not done that motion in a long time, it can take a while to get smooth at it again!

Nice! Definitely had some moments where old instincts kicked in but I literally could not get comfortable even in a crouch. Anyways, just need reps to figure it all out I guess but will start with a new grind, 1/2 inch it is.

Archived